Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 18 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Fertilisers

Senior Member TOO EASY YARD CARE's Avatar

Default Lawn Fertilisers

What types of fertilisers do you youse on your customers lawns are there any good

spray on ones ?????????

scotts beads that they sprinkle on what do you think is the best????

Default Re: Fertilisers

It depends on what the conditions are of the lawn, but l mainly use a scotts 22 + 2 + 8 that sprinlke on. I used a spreader to spread it evenly, because if put to much on one spot, it will burn the grass and die

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOO EASY YARD CARE View Post
    What types of fertilisers do you youse on your customers lawns are there any good

spray on ones ?????????

scotts beads that they sprinkle on what do you think is the best????
    I usally use scottys lawn builder. You dont have to water it in so you can fertilize straight after mowing and leave when there water or rain comes it starts working increases roots and thickness with not really increasing hight. I used a mixture of blood and bone with roster booster on my yard once the grass went nuts. If you think the yards low on trace elements use nitrophouse blue. but you need to water hard. Urea also gives a massive boost but you need to water it all in and it is not good for the worms and micronisims in the soil so long term its not good.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

I don't use a catcher unless absolutely necessary so my lawns don't need fertilising. That said, I use organic ferts when I do for lawns & gardens - non-organic ferts are not good for lawn/gardens in the long run, introducing salt build-up in the soil (no, not cooking salt).most granule type chemical ferts are "salt" based, and especially shouldn't be used in pot-plants.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Depends a little on what type of grass and soil condition..general run of the mill lawn builders are ok but grass like Nitrogen so have a look at the back of the packet and you will see a N.P.K. rating which is Nitrogen ,Phosphorus,Potassium. This is the standard formula fertilzers there is other trace elemnets such as micro nutrients like Boron Zinc Iron Selenium etc but the higher the "N" (nitrogen) rating the better for grass.
    WARNING.. Read the diections carefully and apply accordingly I can tell you some customer horror stories.Do a bit of research on the net before you fertilize anything if you are not sure..Spring time for warm season grass is a good time to start fertilizing ,airating etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Wattle GC View Post
    Depends a little on what type of grass and soil condition..general run of the mill lawn builders are ok but grass like Nitrogen so have a look at the back of the packet and you will see a N.P.K. rating which is Nitrogen ,Phosphorus,Potassium. This is the standard formula fertilzers there is other trace elemnets such as micro nutrients like Boron Zinc Iron Selenium etc but the higher the "N" (nitrogen) rating the better for grass.
    WARNING.. Read the diections carefully and apply accordingly I can tell you some customer horror stories.Do a bit of research on the net before you fertilize anything if you are not sure..Spring time for warm season grass is a good time to start fertilizing ,airating etc..
    Spring time is the best time to fert with a nitrogen high fert in early autum you want a potasium based one to increase root growth for the lacking water and cold frosts if you get them. But personally i fertilize at any time the customer asks me to fertilize I tell them its not the best time of year but i do it if they insist and willing to pay.

Red face Re: Lawn Fertilisers

Lawn Fertilization
    People say lawn fertilizer is food for grass. That's really not correct. Grass makes it own food. In fact it is a solar power food generator.

The plant cells of turfgrass are very good at changing solar radiation into food that the plant uses to make new plant cells, convert carbon dioxide and other gases we now know as pollutants, into oxygen.

Fertilizers are elements and compounds that microbes in the soil help break down into solutions that are soaked into the root system of the grass.

These solutions that are created in the soil, make it possible for the turf grass to convert solar energy into food.

There's plenty of discussion about using "artificial" and "natural or organic" fertilizers. There's hardly any difference at all between the two.

They both have the same chemical elements. The difference is that the natural or organic fertilizers take the microbes longer to break down into solution that the roots can absorb.

Do a soil test to find out if the soil is sterile if there are no microbes no microbe activity and you need the activity to turn fertilizers into the right solution that your lawn can use .You can apply as much fertilizer as you like but if the soil isnt any good wont do you grass any good .
    Quality lawns begin with quality soils.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...ht=fertilisers
    Last edited by administrator; 30-05-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Default Re: Lawn Fertilisers

Any comments good or bad on nitraphoska?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Nolan View Post
    Any comments good or bad on nitraphoska?
    The guy at primac put me on to nitraphoska blue brought my mandarine tree back around i had tried several other trace element fertilizers with no luck prior. Haven't tried it on grass but made the garden shoot up nicely.

Nitraphoska is a good fertiliser for new lawns, plenty of phosphors and potassium for roots and stem growth and also enough nitrogen for the leaf growth. I would not use it for a regular lawn fertiliser. I would use it as a new lawn booster after the fertiliser used at laying or seeding had expired.

DavidS,

What would you use then?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Nolan View Post
    DavidS,

What would you use then?
    Scottys lawn builder it is great stuff and you put it out and dont have to worry about watering it in just goes in with the irrigation or rain but now is the wrong time to fertilize.(if your talking grass)

Yeah I agree with Tender, use Scotts Lawn Builder in early September

We've been using Lawn Builder fertiliser here and there of late - we used it on our own lawn before winter and it has boosted it through the fairly dormant period.
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

The Scotts lawn builder with weed kill seems no good though, had no effect on weeds in a lawn i trialled it on last spring.

Page 1 of 18 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast