Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Do Not Call Register

Default Do Not Call Register

Hi to all members & guests,
    Wondering what experience others have had with telemarketers, over the last few weeks I have been inundated with such calls.
    Maybe telemarketers are getting in a last burst before they are restricted by the new DO NOT CALL REGISTER?
    It seems however that business can't register so my thinking is that while private phone numbers will be protected somewhat, business numbers will be hit harder than ever.
    Any thoughts?
    John
    P.s. Great Site, have found lots of helpful info, and humour

bigG

Default Re: Do Not Call Register

strange first post

anyways ..um yes .....they are lucky they ring and dont come to my door step at the times they ring.when i have a few beers i like to play with there heads ...why not im not paying for it

We registered with the adma do not call register years ago. It stopped all the Aussie calls after about 30 days but did not apply to those annoying overseas ones.

I have registered with the new government one tonight and it DOES cover overseas telemarketers...will let you know in about a month how the calls drop off.
    ~ Joanne ~

Be interesting to see what happens, have registered home number but the business numbers are not eligable.

Info below is from the Do Not Call Registers FAQ,s;

What numbers cannot be listed?
    You may not list business telephone numbers or fax numbers on the register. Home numbers that are used primarily for a home-based business may not be listed on the register.

Maybe we should register them anyway....?

John.
    JR

Well I registered My Both Numbers Today and they are both listered as buissness numbers and it let me do it so let it be if they will .
    Regards NIFTY NEV

Thanks all for the feedback,
    I have had ongoing correspondance with the do not call register trying to find out why business is restricted.
    It seems it was a last minute decission by the govt to exclude business numbers, had to research that for myself, no joy from the register.
    Below is a response received from the Register.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you again for contacting the Do Not Call Register.

Your Business Number Enquiry

We are unable to add business numbers to the Do Not Call Register as we are bound by the legislation governing the operation of this register. Through the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 the Government has determined that only residential phone users can register their home and mobile telephone numbers, provided the numbers are primarily for private or domestic use. This legislation does not apply to telephone numbers used primarily for business use.

This means that any alteration to the current eligibility arrangements for the register would require changes to the law.

A summary of the issues considered by the Government in reaching its decision is set out in the Do Not Call Register Bill 2006 Explanatory Memorandum, available at www.comlaw.gov.au.

If you feel strongly about this issue, and believe that the law should be changed, you are welcome to express your concerns to the Government via your local MP.

I have also forwarded your enquiry to The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).

As each company approaches you, you do have the right to ask them to take you of their calling list which should prevent them from calling you in the future. If you have made this request of the company and they still continue to call you, you can log a complaint through our website at www.donotcall.gov.au.

In relation to your enquiry regarding business owners incorrectly registering their business numbers, this is a serious criminal offence. During all registrations, applicants are asked to confirm that;

· "I am the account holder named above for the telephone numbers submitted for registration.

· The telephone numbers submitted here are primarily for domestic use and are not dedicated fax numbers.

· I understand that providing false or misleading information is a serious criminal offence."

If you would like to make an enquiry or complaint about any other aspect of the Do Not Call Register, you may do so by calling 1300 792 958 or by visiting our website at www.donotcall.gov.au.
    Yours sincerely
    #####
    Do Not Call Register Operator
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Well I am still waiting for them to tell me how they define primarily business and how they intend to enforce their rulings.

By the way, no point calling the number they list it's only an automated service

Will keep you posted of any new development, In the mean time I might refer any telemarketers to BigG JUST KIDDING

Cheers for now, John
    JR

it worked for me , no calls what so ever now . dont know why i have a phone now

It completely stopped calls on our home number, but now I am starting to get them on the work phone.

lethal

I just registered 15:35 friday 18th aug both the home phone and 2 mobiles which are used for work, I guess I will wait and see if I get stopped in the middle of a job with a telesales call