Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Back: Describe Your Business

Tonyr

Lightbulb Welcome Back: Describe Your Business

OK, thought I'd start this thread to kinda personalise things, we don't all service the same parts in the industry, e.g some mow only, some full service, some commercial mostly, some do resorts etc, some do large lawns only, some do acreage only, some have slashers, some ride ons, some push mowers, some do smaller metro stuff, etc, etc.

=======

So to kick it off, I am solo, have a Toro Z588E ZTR, I am primarily servicing large lawns to acreage plus, no small work, all ride on. I obviously trim and edge, spray weeds. pretty basic service, but no call for anything else here. Commercial and residential.

I'm in Hervey Bay, 45000 people, 40000 I reckon mow lawns! JOKE! Weeelllll Very cut throat, lots of low quality competitors working for beer money here.

Ok, I've had a go, your turn! C'mon....can't hurt you.

Mike

Default Heres my business

Started with two tractors, chain saws, brush cutters, augers, mowers and a lot more about five years ago doing it part time. Got to old and now have started a new business full time mowing. Still have a swag of equipment including 4x4 tractor, ride on mower with a five foot tag along which has a 8.5hp on it, numerous chain saws, brush cutters ranging from a stihl 50cc to a echo 21cc (five in total) blowers, etc, etc the list goes on. I left my full time job today that offered 50k+, company car, 60.5 days leave a year and yes, it was a Government job. (worked for the Gov for parst 25yrs full time) Already have jobs lined up through real estate agents, friends and past clients. Offering all services to residents, industial and a rural service aswell. Fire Prevention planning is also offered.
    I also am a member of Indmowing and have been delighted with Dean and Ebony as advisors as their professionalism abounds with knowledge in the industry. I also have 2 x cylinder mowers apart from my two Hondas and have found them to be popular.

Mike
    Mikes Garden Care

Tonyr

Thumbs up

G'Day Mike,

Thanks mate, very impressive!

I wish you all the best mate in your new full time career!

I agree, Dean and Ebony are special people...

Lets hope the other blokes lose their fear and post about their businesses, not much point keeping it a secret, we aren't a threat to each other afterall.

odin

im in chicago usa 4million population ..not counting all the suburbs ..probably 8 to 10 million with all the suburbs.
    Service mostly half arce lots..some bigger some smaller
    have two full time helpers one part time ...lots of relatives help me to when i get in a bind...my wife did help some ...she just aint a lawn girl lol.

We do mowing ..mow about 110 weekly ..some get mowed two times a week some even three in fast growth times ...the idle rich people lol.But most one time a week...and 90 % of my cilents have irrigation sprinker systems

Have two toro ztr's exmark ztr...36 inch commercial walkbehinds.21 inch toro's for getting into fenced back lawns.

Im licensed herbicide and fertilizer applicator so my main job is the apps ..try to do some landscape work ...pavers ..retaining walls ...small profitable jobs ..try to get in several a month and some high profit sodding jobs.

I got 30 years retirement in with general motors draw a uaw pension and medical benefits ...so my family my wife my two 19 month old daughters have the best medical care ...here we dont hav e state medical.........

this is a great forum ...i enjoy better then the american forum ...good down to earth people instead of a bunch of pricks that make up the american forum .

I got to know tony and ebony on the american forum ....first class people ...i call them friends and i hope the feelin is mutual.

Tonyr

Yeah ol' mate, the feelin' is very mutual!

Thanks for this post too, seems many are resistant to talking about their businesses, can't understand why though...

What blades are you running at the moment Odin?
    Excalibur mulch blades?

odin

excaliber notched foil hi lifts tony ...when it gets a little less wet ..im gonna try atomics or gators.

Tonyr

Thanks mate!

Does Exmark make a mulch blade?

odin

hey mate

tony yes they do the exmark mulchers are those wavy like blades ...ive never used them ..

SEE if you can make em out from this pic

Tonyr

Ahhh, Ha, that's the pic I was referring to in my thread on l.s, thought they weren't standard high lifts!

It is called an Excalibur Mulch Blade, now this blade in the pic is the one I'm looking for info on to compare to a raptor blade.

Glad I wasn't loony afterall, lol. shhhh.

avagoodone old bloke!

odin

i didnt know they called the mulchers excaliber to....the excaliber hi lifts are only different in that the cutting edge goes almost to the bolt hole ..

here is a chart from exmarks site..

2004 eXmark Excalibur Blade Fit Application Chart

FITS
    Part # Size 32" 36" 44" 48" 52" 60" 72" Blade Type
    103-1579 15.25" Solid Air Foil Blade
    103-2509 15.25" Low Lift Blade
    103-2519 15.25" Mulching Blade
    103-2529 15.25" Notched Air Foil Blade
    103-1577 16.25" Solid Air Foil Blade
    103-2507 16.25" Low Lift Blade
    103-6581 16.25" Mulching Blade
    103-6583 16.25" Notched Air Foil Blade
    103-1578 18.00" Solid Air Foil Blade
    103-6580 18.00" Low Lift Blade
    103-6582 18.00" Mulching Blade
    103-6584 18.00" Notched Air Foil Blade
    103-1580 20.50" Solid Air Foil Blade
    103-2510 20.50" Low Lift Blade
    103-0301 20.50" Mulching Blade
    103-2530 20.50" Notched Air Foil Blade
    103-1581 24.50" Solid Air Foil Blade
    103-2511 24.50" Low Lift Blade
    103-2521 24.50" Mulching Blade
    103-2531 24.50" Notched Air Foil Blade
    Last edited by administrator; 01-06-2004 at 11:04 AM.

mick

Started with a Masport push, Small Honda brushcutter and a bloom on the Gold Coast(pop 250000approx)! Took longer to sweep the drive than it did to mow lawns so I got an Echo blower. Was just doing residentials back then but moved to an acreage and got a JD LT155. Started doing acreages and found it the way to make better money etc. I just mow and go basically these days but will spray round-up if needed or it makes life easier (chain link fences )

These days I'm cutting back on small residentials but have kept some of the long timers. Now have a JD X595, Honda 216, 2 kawi brushcutters, Shin blower. Just hope next season is as good last!

That'll do for now!

Ok Tony!

Tonyr

Thank you kindly ol' mate!

Gee ya lookin' well today

Mate, I gotta ask, what are ya paying for feul these days??

Nearly 93c/ lt for premium unleaded today, bloody big tanks on the Toro too! grrrrrrrrrr

Stuie

Only 93 cents for premium!
    We are paying 102 - 105.9 for plain unleaded here in Sydney.
    The other day in Rose Bay Eastern Suburbs full service station it was 115.9 a litre!!!

Stuart
    Sydney

Stuie

Smile

Hi All

To reply to the original question as far as our role in the industry here goes...........
    We do nearly 95% residential with the rest being units and the odd factory.All except three jobs are in Sydneys Eastern suburbs.We provide a complete service to probably 70% of the properties with the others being lawns only.
    We use Honda mowers and Tanaka brushcutters probably because i always have were i have worked.Do most places every 2-4 weeks and some we do weekly but they are in the minority.
    My dream is (nightmare) is to get into more commercial work but as it is at the moment we are flat out spring and summer and reasonable in the winterso it gets down to employing people and whether we want to go in that direction.
    Stuart
    Sydney

Ebony

Great to hear from you all

Stuart, I was just looking at some Photographs of your work, those pics in the work gallery on our site, do you do the hedge trimming there? It is all very well maintained, very neat, the hedges look great, as do the lawns Certain people (from WA) have thought you were doing the lawns with a cylinder mower in those pictures. Take that as a big compliment hehe

It is great to have you all here.

Ebony

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast