Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: which brushcutter trimmer line ?

Default Re: which brushcutter trimmer line ?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoast Walker View Post
    The Orange Stihl 2.4mm is awesome for normal work, I purchased some red stihl 2.7mm and its nowhere near as good.

Got some maxi core 2.4mm it works ok for the price.

Best stuff I have used was a square black string about 4mm, it was on a 2nd hand machine I purchased so don't know what it was, but was the best I have used for slashing.
    Yeah same thing, I had some black square stuff on a 2nd hand machine I didn't know what it was but it kicked grass.
    I'm going to Japan in December and I'm going to try and get this grey square section stuff they use over there it is really good. The japs know a thing or two about brush cutting because you always see dudes cutting the sides of the roads and most of the rice paddys have banks around them.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    We are pretty happy with the 2.7mm diamond edge but i just wondered if it was worthwhile trying out the green round trailblazer instead. I watched an ad for it:
    http://www.gaspares.com.au/TrimmerLine%2030R1.mpg
    and it mentions that trailblazer "makes breakages a thing of the past" and diamond edge has "greater cutting power"
    just got me thinking would the round be better for regular use and diamond for rough stuff ? or same sh$% diff colour?!
    I've used both in the 2.7 and I love the green trailblazer. The diamond edge doesn't keep it's square shape for very long so whats the point.

I have found what works on some grasses is useless on others, I usually carry 3 or 4 different strings when doing feral clean ups and just see what works best on the particular job. Haven't had much success with any of the strings that have the different centre core.
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

Diamond and square same thing I find it the same a TB and alote cheaper...But I have to use after market heads to acomadate...

how does that stack up against the diamond edge 63impala?
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

I use the 2.7 green trail blazer. Seems to hold up the best. I use the Sten speed feed heads and it works well in those.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I use the 2.7 green trail blazer. Seems to hold up the best. I use the Sten speed feed heads and it works well in those.
    Is the sten head the same as shindaiwa / oregon one, Bluey?

-------------

Seems like there is no one favourite line. I might grab a smaller roll of the round trail blazer to try out though.

-------------

Carrying different lines is a good idea. Maybe having a spare alloy head loaded with 3.3 or 4mm for the serious jungles might be an idea!?

Is the sten head the same as shindaiwa / oregon one, Bluey?

-------------

Seems like there is no one favourite line. I might grab a smaller roll of the round trail blazer to try out though.

-------------

Carrying different lines is a good idea. Maybe having a spare alloy head loaded with 3.3 or 4mm for the serious jungles might be an idea!?
    G'day Chris B. Yes the sten is the same as the shindy. The only difference I could see is the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    I've used both in the 2.7 and I love the green trailblazer. The diamond edge doesn't keep it's square shape for very long so whats the point.
    i agree cuts in the thick stuff good when its new/fresh but when its worn the end of the line which is the bit that actually makes contact and cuts the grass is just normal so i dont think it makes any differance. im using the diamond edge atm(been getting through a big roll for a year and a bit now) and its average but ive got a big roll of 3.3 round contractors choice line in the shed and thats the best imo of what ive tried.

Yes Chris they are pretty much the same. In fact when I blew the cover of one apart the other day I replaced it with a shindawa one.
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

The diamond edge doesn't keep it's square shape for very long so whats the point.[/QUOTE]

that is true i must find some better for future.

The Speed Feed I picked up today was branded GA Spares but definitely same thing.. Highly rated

The Speed Feed I picked up today was branded GA Spares but definitely same thing.. Highly rated
    Yeah chris The Ga and the sten are the same. I've used both and interchanged parts. They are great heads if you want bump feed.

I think they are brilliant especially when your are doing a lot of slashing. I precut a few lengths of whippy cord and when they run out your loaded up and back at it in no time flat.
    Cheers

Bluey

Yeh the pre-cut line works wonders.. saves a heap of time.... especially when your wearing gloves and the head is covered in dirt! every minute of time we save would add up!

Damn right there, I don't bother with any other type of head any more.
    Speed feed only.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast