Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Any other mower?

Talking Any other mower?

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if there are any other mowers to go for other than honda. I had a honda 195. It lasted a long long time. Almost 10 years, as I was only part time mowing. (about 10 lawns a week). I used it for a year full time('05-'06). It went like a trooper, started first time every time until one day it had enough and died. I went and brought a 196 and have never liked it as it's heavy and not as quiet as the 195. The filter is forever blocked and have replaced the starter return assembly with the one out of the 195 coz it broke. They are not what they were.

I recently brought a kubota 5hp push mower off ebay. It is awsome. The only problem is i dont have a catcher and to buy one new it's $180. I only paid $60 for the mower. It has never been used comercially and really is good for a 10-15 year old mower. If any one has a catcher off one laying around let me know. It's the 19 inch one.

Has anyone used the kaiwasaki mower I have seen around? 6hp, on a masport base and has an external oil filter. Looks good but not sure about reliability etc.

Cheers Rick

Default Re: Any other mower?

Personally I use Rovers (20" self-propelled) as I have found them the most cost effective.
    Probably because I do all my own service and repairs and Rover parts are fairly cheap, readily available, and over time I have learned how to strip and rebuild the drives etc.
    This may change if the Chinese made product proves inferior, I love the Hoda commercial engines and could become a Honda convert.
    Cheers.