Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: planting quote

Junior Member waterfront landscapes's Avatar

Default planting quote

Hey guys, i just did a quote on installing and buying plants, how do u reckon i should charge, per hour or per plant? theres about 50 plants going in, and there all 300mm pots or smaller, it abouts a days work. any suggestion would help.

and also is there a mathematically way of working out how many plants you need for an area, for e,g i got one garden bed at .400mm x 7.5m and the pots sizes that are going in are .300mm

i work out 11 plants for that area.. by guessing 4 plants for every 2meters, which is bad, cos i shouldn't be guessing.

have a good one guys

Senior Member twin_cities_lawncare's Avatar

Default Re: planting quote

To be honest I'm not sure about your planting/spacing issue, but in terms of the quote, I'd be working on the cost of plants + allow a bit extra for you time selecting them & transporting them on site, as well as your hourly rate to plant them...so you have a cost of materials component and a cost of labour component - make sense?
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner of "Townsville Lawn Care"

"Twin Cities Lawncare" was re-named in 2008
    due to the amalgamation of two local councils -
    Due to confusion of previous/current business name,
    I'm opting to post in here as Christine Wharton now

Very Helpful Member

a planting quote: from the small acorn grows a large tree
    also i usually allow about 1 plant per metre or 1.2 metres
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

How many plants you put in i guess will depend on the type of plants. For plants like cordyline, tanaka etc i tend to put in 2 per metre. Hope tha helps.

In terms of charging, i tend to charge $20 per plant, i get them for $10 to $15 from a wholesale nursery. Additional charge to the client covers going to the nursery, choosing plants etc.
    If the plants cost you $40 then i would be charging $50+ per plant.
    On top of that i would charge a labor charge to plant them all based on your hourly rate.

Licenced Landscapers rule of thumb to charging if the cost of parts is one thousand the quote is 2 thousand

if 50 plants cost 750.00 the quote 1500.00 labour insurance petrol rego tools etc etc
    includes just about all u need and a good tip in u pocket
    Last edited by administrator; 25-09-2007 at 10:54 AM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Farrrk ! just when I thought I was getting my quoting system better too!!.....the customer said she wants to spend $300 on plants , so I buy $280 worth (from wholesale nursery) and figure the $20 is fine for petrol. I should jusT change my business name to "Charity Organization"
    Last edited by administrator; 25-09-2007 at 10:56 AM.

From what you just said Wombat you lost money on the job

Get Serious about your job or u wont be there in a couple of months

You WOULD BE SURPRISED HOW MUCH CHARITY ORGS MAKE

BIG BUCKS
    http://www.indmowing.com.au/hills-lawcare.htm
    http://www.indmowing.com.au/deanb.htm
    http://www.indmowing.com.au/geoff.htm
    http://www.indmowing.com.au/tony_rigby.htm

Photo port pholio allways helps
    Last edited by administrator; 25-09-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Lancat

When it comes to plant selection I found that what even you select for your client they are never totally happy. Clients selecting plants for their garden are a little like woman trying to work of what they are going to ware for the day (I’m not being ***ist. Its an observation)

They expect the plants to cost about $7 each and the size of a fully mature plant and when you finish their garden it’s meant to look like the ones on the television.

A few things that you could do or suggest to your client

Suggest to them that plant selection is a personal thing and advise them to drop by to your preferred nursery to look and select the plants that they would like in their garden. This will give your client an appreciation of the cost of plants and the satisfaction they have pick exactly what they want.
    Downside is they could select a selection of plants that are not appropriate to where they want to plant them.
    Also suggest you can pick the plants up for them.

This is what I have
    Make yourself up a folder with pictures and description of about 20 to 30 common plants that you know do well in your area. Try to have pictures of young and mature plants in the folder. This will give the client a good idea of what the plant will looks like.
    I also have a few samples of garden mulch in plastic bags to give the client a better idea of what the mulch looks like.

Take photos of each job you do and place them in a photo album for new client to see.

I always estimate plant to cost between $15 and $20 to purchase. I often get plants that are about to be re-potted from 4 inch to 6 inch pots. They are good value due to there size.
    For small jobs I charge by the hour including the running around getting plants. Other jobs i quote or charge a day rate or 100% above on cost of goods.

Call a landscaper and ask for a quotehell turn up in a 40,000 dollar ute 7

Very Helpful Member

it doesn't matter what price i pay i try to charge the client at the price that bunnings or the local retail nurseries charge
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Junior Member waterfront landscapes's Avatar

hey guys thanks for all the suggestion, it helps heaps, cheers just hope i get the job .

i go my whole sale price
    add the retail
    + 1 dollar to 5 per plant. to the price {pending on size of pot}
    and make up the rest on your labour.
    if they think they are saveing money the love it
    i try to pass the saveing's on to the people.
    if and when i can
    i make most of my money from labour.
    i get 10 cube mts of mulch for $150 fresh
    and pass it on for the same price .
    but make my money moveing it for them .a win win kind of thing
    []