Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some of the long "lawns" we have mowed

Aussie Re: Some of the long "lawns" we have mowed

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Well only you can tell us that seeing you know the time it took and the type of machinery and hard graft .
    hi Dean
    the job took 34 hrs total , 1 oleo-mac brush cutter setup + 1 echo whipper sniper ,
    1 honda 3speed s/p , 1 19" honda mulcher pushy , 1 crappy pushy ,
    2 guys , 1 8x5 box trailer loaded twice for the tip total 800kg ,
    & a TATA ute sundry hand tools ,

job was done as a make up time job over 1 month
    1 hr here - 1 hr there
    if we had a spare hour at the end of the day we would do a bit more ,
    job is now completed and customer very happy

Aussie Re: Some of the long "lawns" we have mowed

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    Imagine how much he could earn if he had a 60 inch ZTR?
    we have the toro 60" hehehe
    just awesome

Default Re: Some of the long "lawns" we have mowed

Yes, I got one recently (New Holland) you have obviously seen the light as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproofhead View Post
    we have the toro 60" hehehe
    just awesome

have any pics of the ne wholland? i bet it is a rebadged everride warrior!

we have run many of the warriors, until they stopped making them as that brand and our distributor stopped carrying them. we switched to toro for our smaller ztrs, and grandstands for our stand on mowers. only have two everride left

Yes it's an Everide Warrior painted blue. So far so good. Do you use any Hustlers? They're made in Kansas aren't they?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    I had this tosser ring up a few weeks back and said:

"I've been away on holidays for about 6 weeks I just got back and the grass has got a bit long, and my ride on won't handle it"

Point #1 : DUUHHHH!!!! W.T.F. do you expect? In tropical N.Q. in the wettest wet season in over 35 years.

Point #2: That's not my effing problem.

Point #3: If YOUR ride on won't handle it, MY ride on probably won't handle it either.

Point #4: He doesn't want to trash his mower or bust his arse in the hot sun so he wants to get someone else to trash his gear and bust his arse instead and is probably looking for the cheapest quote.

Point #5: Once I get it back under control I will never see or hear from him again.

Point #6: Why would I want to do a back yard jungle when I can mow my regular jobs with 2 inch long grass instead?

I told him I was fully booked out for the next 2 weeks, obviously it wasn't soon enough for him. Been there done that I'm getting wiser every year,

This is a job for the "Just starting out" 6x4 box trailer, Greenfield Cox or cheap $hit Bunnings Ride on and two planks of wood, Big W mower, bent shaft snipper, fly by night, cash in hand only with no public liability insurance clowns (did I miss anything?). They can have these jobs.

I learnt the hard way, so can they. I'm well and truly over these ****ty one off jobs.
    We've had a quite a few similar enquiries this year - they go away for summer holidays and *surprise, surprise* the grass grows while they're away for weeks/months on end. We've done some of these kind of jobs when we could squeeze them into the schedule, but most times we can honestly say we just haven't had time for them.
    (On the other hand, we also take a lot of bookings from people who are going on holidays, to look after their property while they're away - usually lovely lawns too, so a real priviledge - if only everyone could have that mindset eh?)
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

Yes, some people actually have enough common sense to think that far ahead. As you say some of them are beautiful lawns that you wish you could keep as regular jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Wharton View Post
    We've had a quite a few similar enquiries this year - they go away for summer holidays and *surprise, surprise* the grass grows while they're away for weeks/months on end. We've done some of these kind of jobs when we could squeeze them into the schedule, but most times we can honestly say we just haven't had time for them.
    (On the other hand, we also take a lot of bookings from people who are going on holidays, to look after their property while they're away - usually lovely lawns too, so a real priviledge - if only everyone could have that mindset eh?)

Last season I did one of those lawns while owners were away (just a temp job.) Lawn was great, smooth etc. They obviously cared about it so I would spend extra time just to keep it looking its best. They came home and were absolutely stoked. They were worried as time before the contractor ripped them off by not turning up and lawn became a mess.

As a general rule, I won't do one off clean up jobs, unless it possibly leads onto regular work. A couple of times I have been stung because I hit a stump only sticking out of the ground a couple of inches, which bent a crank shaft and another time stuffed a weedeater. I love the old classic of when I ask how long has it been since the lawn was mowed and they say 4-6 weeks and you turn up and know it's mnore like 4-6 months. These days I can't be bothered busting a nut on a lawn that the owner has no pride in and I know will go back to looking like a jungle again.

Hi Dinoz

How ya been mate. we haven't seen you Kiwi boys here for a while. On the the 1 offs mate they can be good payers. The way6 i do it is leave a day swinging in your schedule. If you get one then do it but if you dont use it for catch up or other jos as they come in. Good money in clean ups. Do you go trout fishing over there mate?
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

I agree, you have to be careful when they tell you that "It will be a regular job so can you give us a good price". If they try that one on you, you have to tell them that it's not a regular job until I have done it 3 times. I have been shafted like that before, done a feral yard, given them a good price, lost money on it and then driven past the place 3 weeks later and it has been mowed by them or someone else after I have done all the hard work. Don't fall for it.

To me, regular means between 12 to 18 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoz View Post
    As a general rule, I won't do one off clean up jobs, unless it possibly leads onto regular work. A couple of times I have been stung because I hit a stump only sticking out of the ground a couple of inches, which bent a crank shaft and another time stuffed a weedeater. I love the old classic of when I ask how long has it been since the lawn was mowed and they say 4-6 weeks and you turn up and know it's mnore like 4-6 months. These days I can't be bothered busting a nut on a lawn that the owner has no pride in and I know will go back to looking like a jungle again.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Personally, hourly rate and take it easy not stressing machinery!
    yep , we go on Hourly rate at all times for all the over grown jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Personally, hourly rate and take it easy not stressing machinery!
    yep , we go on Hourly rate at all times for all the over grown jobs

A couple of the ferals we've done the past couple of weeks. One mowed, one slash and go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just did one this arv - not feral - just long and really thick, 8-10 inches. Normal resi corner block app 600m2. Took just over 3.5 hrs and one and a half tanks on a honda hru 195. Had to use the catcher and only took a half mower width cut at a time. Customer was very happy with the job and could not believe that the machine was 21 years old. Will be back there every two weeks now until they move and want me as their lawnie wherever they move to. Didn't take photos as I knew the after shots would have that really scalped look. By the way, charged them $250 and they didn't bat an eyelid at the price, even gave me a beer while I was loading up!!!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast