Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Lawnmowing Tips & tricks.................

Default Re: Tips & tricks.................

Carry two of everything - 2 mowers/whippies/blowers. If you have any machinery problem you don't need to spend time fixing it on the hop!

Sheedys Mowing

Before leaving to do all your jobs for the day, make sure you do a vehical & trailer inspection, checking oil levels, tyre inflation levels, that all lights are working, tow hitch & ball etc. Also on really hot days it might pay to take any fuel out of the trailer and store it in a cool place.

The lighter your trailer including tooling the more fuel you will save.

If You have a well established round you wouldnt be 10-15 minutes minutes from home so no need to carry everything.

If you are travelling more than 20 minutes from home then re think your business plan to canvass clients closer to home

if you service your machinery and vechile very little chance of a breakdown .and more effecient

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

worzel

Hi all
    When I saw this thread i thought to myself this would be excellent information for someone who is just starting out.
    I thought I would wait a few days and add something.
    I waited and I can't find anything new to add (damn)
    So I thought I would try and condense it.
    1 -to save fuel condense work into a 10 k radius.(this is just me)
    2- double up on equipment to save time on breakdowns.
    3- Most important is to service vehicle and equipment.
    4-If your appearance.vehicle, machinery and attitude etc looks smart the work rolls in.(when you are finished for the day and after a few coldies let it all hang out.
    5-Keeping frozen water in my opinion is a must
    6- I keep a spare loaded trimmer spool,plugs,circlips and any thing else I can think of to reduce down time.
    7- When mowing and you have none of Deans radio headphones don't let the PITAS upset you(Years ago with a PITA I WALKED ON THE PROPERTY WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER IT CAUSED A BIT OF GRIEF.
    Now I am bit more mellow and don,t have many probs.
    Music is good
    8-Enjoy your work, you are the boss.To relax grab your rod (not that one)
    and go fishing
    9-In my opinion if you are reliable and do quality work the work will follow with satisfied customers passing your good name to friends etc.Hope this will help someone.
    Cheers Worzel

Quote Originally Posted by worzel
    Hi all
    When I saw this thread i thought to myself this would be excellent information for someone who is just starting out.
    I thought I would wait a few days and add something.
    I waited and I can't find anything new to add (damn)
    So I thought I would try and condense it.
    1 -to save fuel condense work into a 10 k radius.(this is just me)
    2- double up on equipment to save time on breakdowns.
    3- Most important is to service vehicle and equipment.
    4-If your appearance.vehicle, machinery and attitude etc looks smart the work rolls in.(when you are finished for the day and after a few coldies let it all hang out.
    5-Keeping frozen water in my opinion is a must
    6- I keep a spare loaded trimmer spool,plugs,circlips and any thing else I can think of to reduce down time.
    7- When mowing and you have none of Deans radio headphones don't let the PITAS upset you(Years ago with a PITA I WALKED ON THE PROPERTY WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER IT CAUSED A BIT OF GRIEF.
    Now I am bit more mellow and don,t have many probs.
    Music is good
    8-Enjoy your work, you are the boss.To relax grab your rod (not that one)
    and go fishing
    9-In my opinion if you are reliable and do quality work the work will follow with satisfied customers passing your good name to friends etc.Hope this will help someone.
    Cheers Worzel

Love it! Great post Worzel!

With summer coming up , remember when quoting a job, that a summer cut is generally done 30% quicker than a spring job, so if giving a fixed price, remember come spring the cut will take longer due to more grass, have to empty catcher more, and more to take to tip. So if giving fixed price quote, consider how long the job will take in Spring, not summer.

Sheedys Mowing

Just on point number 4 of worzels post about apperance of things, it is a good idea to have quality sign writting on your tralier & having your own uniforms with your business name and the services you offer on all of your workwear, it shows that you run a quality business you take pride in your work you are normaly able to charge 5% to 10% more on your services and most importantly you don't just look like a cowboy with a lawn mower sticking out of his ute.

If your brushcutter line goes hard or brittle soak it in hot water

If your line welds itself inside the head, take the head off and soak in warm water, if that does not work you are using the wrong size line for that head.

If Your` computer keeps shutting down check to see if the cooling fan has stopped working and if so face a electric fan to cool the cpu until u are able to replace the computer fan

see pic 2 the fan on that silver thingy had stopped working which heats up the cpu i forget what you call it which makes it shut down

saves you big bucks
    Just happened to me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by administrator; 24-11-2007 at 08:20 AM.

For those who live in the southern part of the country: if you use older 2 stroke equipment & it is really starting to play up now that the weather has warmed up, even after you've had it serviced; It's probably worn out. Put it in the shed until next winter & buy a new one! Come April-May next year, put the new one away for winter & get the old one out again! You should find that it runs a treat now that the air has thickened up again in the cooler weather! Don't forget to start the new one up at least once a week whilst its in storage, otherwise the diaphragm in the carby will go hard & stuff up. Once the old one has really had it, keep it for spare parts & the new one becomes an old one & off you go again. You can get quite a lot of extra work out of 2 strokes using this method.

For those using 4 stroke engines on snippers, blowers, hedgers etc; Stiff cheese! it won't work for you! You'll get get blisters trying to start the old machine until you buy a new one!

If you offer a free cut for long term customers or any customer this can be turned into Advertising deduction check with your accountant to have a tax deductable promotion

YOU CAN WRITE IT OFF AS AN EXPENSE .
    Last edited by administrator; 10-04-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Contractors have promotions such as gift basket give aways once a month for clients just another way of keeping business and creating word of mouth and appreciation .

Works very well doesnt it Nick

all my saws and any cutting blades i have i alway wipe clean after use, then spray with WD40 or light machine oil and this stops the blades or saws from rusting from tree sap, rain etc . candle wax is also good if your hand saw are getting stuck cutting wet timber . if you have a rusty saw just use light machine oil and some wirewool and you will have your saw looking like new again .
    cheers heggie
    ~~{Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.}~~

Don't leave your honda 216 starter assembly sitting on the ground after your do a starter rope change over, your wife might run over it in the car $$$$$$

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast