Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Lawnmowing Tips & tricks.................

Mellors

Smile Re: Tips & tricks.................

Hi there Lawnmowers!

My first post - I was looking around this evening and read someone's gripe about people who use all this valuable information collected here, but don't contribute, so I thought I better say something, even though the reason I haven't contributed so far is really because I know bugger all compared with yous lot.

I'd ought to contribute something then, hadn't I? Not that it will be much better than my first commercial mow was ...

So, here is my wisdom, accumulated over WEEKS of being in the LM business - the most important thing is to CHARGE HIGH PRICES. I am (currently) sure that (at least in Sydney now, with the rain the way it has been), the supply/demand ratio of lawmowing contractors to lawn proprietors is such that there is really not that much competion between LM contractors - the real competition is between the LM contractor giving the quote, and the potential client doing it themselves (or having some significant other do it), or leave it to grow into wildlife habitat.

It is in all of our interests to quote as high as we can. The more we all quote, the higher the perceived "going rate" will be.

I would not be at all worried by "cowboys" charging very low rates. I started off charging very low rates, not because I was a cowboy (but may have been seen as such), but because I was a fool, and did not realise how much work was involved to do a good job. Now I know that the customers that will snap up naive aspiring lawnmowers at their bargain basement rates are not the customers that professionals would want to have.

It's all good - starting LMs get their first work and experience from the tight-arses who are exploiting their inexperience - these clients are not ones that professional LMs want or need. The starting LMs benefit from the work and experience they get, the TA-customers get cheap mows, and, best of all, the new professional LM who finally figures it out gets the exquisite pleasure of informing TA/PITA customers (in the most polite and professional way) that their services are no longer available for the price that they had been getting!

Brrm brrm ....

Mellors

Default Re: Tips & tricks.................

MAKE SURE YOU CHAIN AND LOCK EVERYTHING UP THATS NOT IN USE WHILST ON THE JOB ,IM SURE WERE'VE ALL LEARNT THE HARD WAY

Quote Originally Posted by Mellors
    Hi there Lawnmowers!

My first post - I was looking around this evening and read someone's gripe about people who use all this valuable information collected here, but don't contribute, so I thought I better say something, even though the reason I haven't contributed so far is really because I know bugger all compared with yous lot.

I'd ought to contribute something then, hadn't I? Not that it will be much better than my first commercial mow was ...

So, here is my wisdom, accumulated over WEEKS of being in the LM business - the most important thing is to CHARGE HIGH PRICES. I am (currently) sure that (at least in Sydney now, with the rain the way it has been), the supply/demand ratio of lawmowing contractors to lawn proprietors is such that there is really not that much competion between LM contractors - the real competition is between the LM contractor giving the quote, and the potential client doing it themselves (or having some significant other do it), or leave it to grow into wildlife habitat.

It is in all of our interests to quote as high as we can. The more we all quote, the higher the perceived "going rate" will be.

I would not be at all worried by "cowboys" charging very low rates. I started off charging very low rates, not because I was a cowboy (but may have been seen as such), but because I was a fool, and did not realise how much work was involved to do a good job. Now I know that the customers that will snap up naive aspiring lawnmowers at their bargain basement rates are not the customers that professionals would want to have.

It's all good - starting LMs get their first work and experience from the tight-arses who are exploiting their inexperience - these clients are not ones that professional LMs want or need. The starting LMs benefit from the work and experience they get, the TA-customers get cheap mows, and, best of all, the new professional LM who finally figures it out gets the exquisite pleasure of informing TA/PITA customers (in the most polite and professional way) that their services are no longer available for the price that they had been getting!

Brrm brrm ....

Mellors

Great post Mellors, great to see you on the forum mate, welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by just john
    MAKE SURE YOU CHAIN AND LOCK EVERYTHING UP THATS NOT IN USE WHILST ON THE JOB ,IM SURE WERE'VE ALL LEARNT THE HARD WAY

Ain't that the truth Just John! Some prick even took my last drink out of my esky on a very hot dat whilst i was out the back slashing weeds (Davoren Park lol!)

Listen i shall only say this once HELLO HELLO

Give three quotes
    1 Rough job mower only no catch no blow no brushcutter drop grass walk away

2 Neat job nice tidy up make job look respectable

3 Rolls royce job the works just the way u like to do it MIGHTY FINE EDGES LOOKING A PIC

Easy Customer has three quotes knowes exactly where they stand jobs right

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

I AGREE MELLOR GREAT POST BUT IN SOME INSTANCES CONTRACTORS DONT MOW IN AFFLUENT AREAS AND PRICING IS RESTRICTED TO CUSTOMERS INCOME WITH LEVEL 5 WATER RESTRICTIONS AND THE PENINSULAR BEING MAINLY SAND BASE A LOT OF CONTRACTORS ARE STRUGGLING BUT WITH GOOD RAIN OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS THINGS HAVE IMPROVED

Mellors

Thanks for the reply J.J.

I haven't been in the game nearly long enough to have my head around it. I'm based a little west of Parramatta, so I am within striking distance of suburbs covering quite a range of socioeconomic levels.

I don't know whether to try to focus "close to home" (which was my original hope, when I decided to give this business a go), or aspire for a situation where I commute to a more up-market area to service the gentry for a higher price.

So far, I'm taking pretty much anything I can get, but I'm thinking all the time ... (when I'm not too tired/wounded)

Brrm brrm ...

Senior Member twin_cities_lawncare's Avatar

In terms of "tired/wounded" I thought a couple of ideas might help:
    Tired? Have energy drinks on tap - ones with electrolytes, esp in the heat of summer; get a midday siesta if possible
    Wounded? Have a first aid kit in the car, with things like big bandaids for big coverage, paracetamol for headaches etc, antihistomines for allergic reactions, tweezers for splinters, 3B/Vaseline cream for chafing...the list goes on for your individual needs
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner of "Townsville Lawn Care"

"Twin Cities Lawncare" was re-named in 2008
    due to the amalgamation of two local councils -
    Due to confusion of previous/current business name,
    I'm opting to post in here as Christine Wharton now

Today was probably the 1st time since doing this full time that I thought I might go down. Very steamy up here at the moment but for some reason I just kept going (had a heap of cuts to get thru), then I thought hey this is why I'm doing this...to be my own boss SIT DOWN BOY, HAVE A BLOW, A DRINK AND COOL DOWN!!! My tip is when it's hard tell yourself this is not just my job it's my lifestyle...and I love it! Oh... and chuck a chair in the trailer to sit on when you do

Mellors

Quote Originally Posted by twin_cities_lawncare
    Wounded? Have a first aid kit in the car, with things like big bandaids for big coverage, paracetamol for headaches etc, antihistomines for allergic reactions, tweezers for splinters, 3B/Vaseline cream for chafing...the list goes on for your individual needs
    Great idea thanks Christine!

always have with you a good pair of sunnies 30plus sunscreen (seen some contractors wear gloves whilst mowing) and a HUGE hat

Senior Member twin_cities_lawncare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mowjoman
    Today was probably the 1st time since doing this full time that I thought I might go down. Very steamy up here at the moment but for some reason I just kept going (had a heap of cuts to get thru), then I thought hey this is why I'm doing this...to be my own boss SIT DOWN BOY, HAVE A BLOW, A DRINK AND COOL DOWN!!! My tip is when it's hard tell yourself this is not just my job it's my lifestyle...and I love it! Oh... and chuck a chair in the trailer to sit on when you do
    Too true mojoman - the tropical humidity can really knock you around, so pace yourself and keep hydrated - have some electrolyte drinks like Staminade/Gatorade to keep you energised as well - we've found it makes a big difference...and the humidity can really speed up the chafing process so pack the Vaseline too, esp on the clean up jobs when you're doing a lot of friction-heavy work.
    Sitting back (and we've been known to siesta under a shady tree at times too, working flat out ) is part of a well-balanced summer's day I reckon.
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner of "Townsville Lawn Care"

"Twin Cities Lawncare" was re-named in 2008
    due to the amalgamation of two local councils -
    Due to confusion of previous/current business name,
    I'm opting to post in here as Christine Wharton now

If a customer is changing address leave 4 or 5 business cards in the meter box more than likely if its a rental youll get the new tennant .

Or go around there when you think that the new tennant has moved in knock on the door and tell them the story you have been loking after the grounds etc and would they like a quote

Ah yes...the ol' chaffe. Something I've long suffered with due to friction of the inside of my legs rubbing together.....long jocks, long jocks, long jocks, long jocks, long jocks, long jocks.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast