Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda HRU 216 self drive

worzel

Default Honda HRU 216 self drive

Hi all
    Is anybody had any troubles with the gearing etc of this mower.
    No queries regarding the motor.
    I am on my second s/d Rover running a 5.5 briggs (about 10 years approx) No problems except for rear chain replacement and maintenance on the drive cogs.Extremely reliable.
    BUT I do prefer Honda motors.
    Are the drives easy to maintain or is there an on going problem , or expensive to repair.
    Thanks for reply
    Cheers Worzel

Default Re: Honda HRU 216 self drive

Hi Worzel, I must admit that I'm a bit gob smacked, but extremely pleased for you that the Rover S/P mechs have been so reliable for you. It must be something to do with climate

I have the 216 Honda mate & the gearbox has been fantastic for me (much better than either a 20" or 22" Rover S/P's I've owned B4) BUT I'm sorry mate, if you live in a wet climate (& I'm guessing that you do?) FORGET IT! The "throw" on the Honda is OK in nice dry weather, but an absolute joke if the grass has even smelled rain! It's better than the 215 was, because of the 4 blade system, but mate, it's not up to damp weather! I believe that the John Deere has the same issues because of the side throw into the bag???

The drives are pretty good. Sealed unit means little maintenance but they will eventually wear out. You'll know when it starts chattering and cable adjustment wont fix it.
    BTW it pays to pull the drive cover off and clean the grass and crap out every week or so and keep the drive shaft clear of fishing line etc and I generally give the selector levers a hit of silicone spray

Not sure exactly but 150-200 maybe to rebuild?

I've had a 214, 215 and now a 216 and have no desire to go back to a Rover again although I have kept a 21" S/P for slash jobs

My 216 is starting to shudder, it's 2 years old. Chasis is full of holes,
    But i'd buy another one I've put the poor thing through hell, very sandy soils down my way, this time of year, if you use the catcher on a lot of jobs, you'd just be taking their soil away.
    So i'd either take the catcher off and mow, or use the mulch plug.
    The poor thing has been sandblasted from the inside.
    I'm waiting for a 4 wheel drive model to plow through it without getting bogged

This would be good under equipment realated Forum

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Hi all
    I Have used both the Rover 22'' 560 and the Honda 216.I have also sold and repaired a lot of both.As far as finish gos the Rover in my opinion wins hands down,esp in damp grass .And is a lot faster.The Honda engine is more reliable and mutch smoother and quieter.Both are good mowers.
    As far as the drive system gos Honda has just about doubled the cost of the gearbox to up to $500 since they changed manufacturers and they are not worth rebuilding like the old 2 speeds.There was a problem with the input shaft with a lot of them failing under warranty but this seens to have been fixed.As long as the gearbox area is kept very clean and the shaft and all cables oiled regularly they are ok.
    The Rover system is more complicated [chain,clutch,belt and gearbox]but the parts are cheap and if you do your own repairs they are less exensive long term.
    Hope this helps :

worzel

Yeah Admin -This should have been equipment related -I posted on the wrong forum?? I can't change now or can I )
    Re Kakegc - I worked on a mates s/p rover today.Since he had done no maintenance in months/years the drive axle bearings were rusted on and I had to grind them off.Took 2 hours and a few beers.I was starting to think I wish I have never started.I have found replacing ( or taking off the bearing seal and greasing is crucial)
    Keeping the drive cogs clean ( I spray mine with kerosene) and wheel teeth clean also helps.
    The rear chain is prone to wear. When I renew it I allow for a half link short to allow for wear adjustment.
    I have also drilled to holes in the chain cover to squirt the odd bit of oil.
    I know absolutely nothing about the honda drive.
    Thanks DAJ,That does help.I suppose it's like most stuff- maintenance.
    So - Honda motor on my next Rover??????
    This is an excellent wet lawn catcher
    Cheers Worzel

grasshopper

all I know is the Rover is great in the wet and the Honda is heavy and useless in the wet.

Yes ,i would choose the Rover with the Honda engine.Only adds about $100 to $150 to the mower cost.

Quote Originally Posted by DAJ
    Yes ,i would choose the Rover with the Honda engine.Only adds about $100 to $150 to the mower cost.
    So would that be the honda 216 engine, Rover deck, and honda self drive ?

I was sugesting to WORZEL that as he likes the Rover i would spend the extra and get it with the Honda engine.Hopefully Rover are still offering the GX engine as on the 216.But the GVX is also a very good engine but it does take longer to service.

Is this standard, a rover with a honda engine or has to made up and does this also applies for the rover 560 s/p 22''

Hi John
    Rover added the Honda engine to the range as a standard model,the 560 22'' now has choice of engines briggs or Honda.But i dont know if the Honda is the GX or GVX.The GX is better.

Overhead Valve = GXV is much beter than Overhead cam
    Honda wont sell there gxv engine to other manufacturers of mowers or Honda wouldnt really have a mower to sell lol

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Quote Originally Posted by DAJ
    Hi John
    Rover added the Honda engine to the range as a standard model,the 560 22'' now has choice of engines briggs or Honda.But i dont know if the Honda is the GX or GVX.The GX is better.
    Thanx dave its invaluble to have someone like yourself on the forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast