Would the same apply to sugarcane?
    Some schmuck planted it at a place I look after it never seems to die!'

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Killing off bamboo

Quote Originally Posted by Dan w View Post
    Would the same apply to sugarcane?
    Some schmuck planted it at a place I look after it never seems to die!'
    it's a member of the grass family so glyphosate should kill it

but i don't see how poisoning the bamboo 1st will make it any easier to dig it out it will still be a p of a job
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    but i don't see how poisoning the bamboo 1st will make it any easier to dig it out it will still be a p of a job
    Partial dehydration and decomposition of the root matter should reduce the volume compared to the channels the roots have carved, and thus reduce resistance. At least that's the theory, I guess.

Either that, or hire a backhoe/bobcat/airstrike.

Cheers - GardenGuy.
    My Garden Guy - www.mygardenguy.com.au. Visit us at Facebook too! Visit our Blog for seasonal updates and hints about what your garden needs now.
    Servicing Sydney's North Shore from Chatswood to Cowan. Lawn mowing, gardening services, clean-ups and more.

If you need lawn mowing and garden services, you need an ILMCOA member. Check the directory for someone local to you.

I found out on some US web site gardening company that they reckon to to dig wide, around the clumping bamboo and keep digging down and around the stump. Then the whole thing will come out....?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Same as any tree or plant, as long as you keep digging.
    I cleared a whole back yard of bamboo once with just a mattock, but i was 20 years younger and just starting out. never forget that job, and never again.
    Last month i had a patch of wild ginger 4m square, now been a lot smarter i just bring in a mini excavator and watch him (20 minutes versus a day or more).
    still make good money, and i can move the next day

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12