Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314

Thread: Gardening by the hour

Default Re: Gardening by the hour

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    There is no problem with disagreeing Redeye that is what open discussion is all about. Let me ask you all a question. How many of you started in this business after having done an apprenticeship under a qualified gardener and after gaining a certificate following many years of study. There will be some that say yes and good on you but I would hazard a guess the vast majority started and then went on to gain knowledge and/or a certicate.

Be truthfull now.
    Did my apprenticeship between 78-82 so Ive been in it for a while now.
    Think Beetles got me beat though, & dont tell Andy
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    Good on you Kathryn!! Hey how long does it take to do the course? How much does it cost? Did you do it online?
    from memory cert II takes 6months to a year and cert III 1-2 years. but i hear that the cert system might be getting a bit of a shake up. and this all long distance no night school. often in cert II atleast i was learning the science behind what i already worked and in certIII i learnt plenty. considered doing IV . anyone out there doing cert IV at the mo?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
    from memory cert II takes 6months to a year and cert III 1-2 years. but i hear that the cert system might be getting a bit of a shake up. and this all long distance no night school. often in cert II atleast i was learning the science behind what i already worked and in certIII i learnt plenty. considered doing IV . anyone out there doing cert IV at the mo?
    Does it help you in Garden maintenance do you think or is it more useful in landscaping from scratch? You got any stories you can share where your qualifications have come into play?
    Cheers
    Dean
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

thats a fair point bluey,.... to be honest when I studied I didn't intend to be pushing a mower for a living, but that was 26 years ago. Also, to be honest, I've forgotten most of it and have amassed more useful/practical knowledge through hands on experience. Its all good, and you never stop learning

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Blaktop View Post

@Woodchip.....you wouldn't happen to be Wood Ducks would you? If so you mowed the lawn over the road from my house yesterday morning as I was loading my rideon.....lol.
    No, that wasnt me, Im a bit farther up the road....around Laurieton.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My whole point on this discussion is not so much if you should or shouldn't have a certificate but whether it is good for the industry to try and make it a prerequisite to join. I have spent a whole lot of my working life studying one thing or another and have amassed a fair pile of certicates and qualifications all of which I no longer use. Half of them were required to get on in the work role I was in and thankfully the govenment paid my way. I have forgotten most of the stuff taught in them but I still retain the skills I learned on the actual job.

I am not against people studying for a hort cert. In fact I think it is a great idea but it can be accomplished after they get into the industry and I honestly beleive that probably 95% of you who have one did exactly that. You got into the industry and studied to make your self better. Having a Hort Cert should bring you more money but like Stripes said I think most clients could not give a rats if you had it or not. The thing that worries me is getting the industry overly regulated because i have seen the results of that first hand.
    Bluey

Completed Cert in Horticulture in 1986 whilst working in a wholesale nursery, and part-time gardening/landscaping.
    Gained experience working with some brilliant plantsmen/horticulturists.
    Worked in several retail garden centres,studied allied courses.
    Studied Diploma in Garden Design.
    I apply sound horticultural practice in my work gained from work experience,studies and customers.
    Cheers Astro.

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    Does it help you in Garden maintenance do you think or is it more useful in landscaping from scratch? You got any stories you can share where your qualifications have come into play?
    Cheers
    Dean
    i think it helps me everyday. im trying to expand the gardening side of my business more than the mowing though.
    when i first started up for my self i picked up a good liittle landscaping contract that took a few days to do including bringing in plenty top soil and installing irrigation. couldnt have done that without past experience and knowledge. that job paid for my trailer. very hasppy to be able to pay off a big expense just like that. wish i was getting a bit more of that kind of work...

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
    i think it helps me everyday. im trying to expand the gardening side of my business more than the mowing though.
    when i first started up for my self i picked up a good liittle landscaping contract that took a few days to do including bringing in plenty top soil and installing irrigation. couldnt have done that without past experience and knowledge. that job paid for my trailer. very hasppy to be able to pay off a big expense just like that. wish i was getting a bit more of that kind of work...
    Maybe drop flyers with your qualifications on it? I get heaps of gardening work through flyers..
    I am confident with hardscape but a bit nervous with the softscape because my knowledge isn't there with what plant goes where and stuff like that so if a customer asks me to do a landscaping job I tell them to get a plan done or go to Flower Power and pick out the plants they want and I will put them in.

I have thought of doing a coarse but I am getting a bit long in the tooth now so probably wont, I do a fair bit of reading about it but will never be a top notch gardener LOL This site is good with people like you here I can always find an answer if needed..

Cheers
    Dean
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314