Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Topdressing Lawn / Sand under grass

Michael B

Thumbs up Topdressing Lawn / Sand under grass

We built a new house and had a landscaper deliver and level topsoil before hydroseeding. There were a number of large areas in the yard that were covered with bedding sand rather than topsoil (sand was used to cover the many rocks in the native soil/clay and also used to backfill the irrigation and septic field). The landscaper assured me that the grass would take on these sandy patches. But six months later, I can say I am not happy with the result.

The grass on top the sandy patches dries out very quickly and does not get as green as the surrounding grass. I have dug up a couple of these small (2 sq. ft.) dry spots and mixed in some peat soil under the grass roots, but this is a time consuming process. Moreover, I have some much larger patches.

My question: Can I topdress this problem away?

Thanks
    www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

( Extract from Ask Mark )
    Last edited by administrator; 22-06-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Mark Paisley

Dear Michael,

Sand is a big problem under lawns and in gardens. I don't know why landscapers use it. They obviously are not interested in maintaining these jobs they do with sand.

I have a customer who had a so called "landscaper" build some large gardens. He filled them with clean beach sand and about 25mm of garden soil on top. You can imagine the problems with keeping moisture in this profile.

Your problem is the same. The best thing to do would be to rotary hoe peat soil into the area. This may not be practical for you but it would probably fix the problem. Topdressing will help over a longer period of time. Don't put too much soil on at any one time. Also, the use of a wetting agent may help during the summer months.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Mark Paisley

Jamie B

Hi Mark,
    I read your "sand under grass" suggestion thankyou... any chance you could recommend:
    - a topdressing solution for a very sandy lawned area here in Goolwa, south australia (I'e heard clay particle top dressing may help?)

- someone local who could quote to do it?

cheers

Mark Paisley

Default Re: Clay Particle Topdressing

Hi Jamie,

You could try the clay particle topdressing but the problem that can arise with applying too much soil is a layer build up of the heavier clay which can effect drainage.

This of course would only happen over a few years of using the heavier soil. Wetting agents are very useful on sandy soils to retain moisture.

Good Luck!!

Mark Paisley

mick

Maybe raise the cutting height when mowing if your cutting short! Grass is like mulch and longer grass holds in moisture a little more. IMO

Top dressing with a good soil would help but like Mark said, dont put too much on in one go.

For a quick fix, you might like to try a "little" slow release fertilizer on the affected area.

Default Re: Sand under grass

Excellent Mark

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

a problem with top dressing the septic tank area is that this will encourage root growth into the septic tank,this is why sand is used as a backfill around septic tanks.one use of sand in irrigation channels is for drainage in case of a burst pipe leaks as the channel with riversand will channel the water away to help prevent flooding,this is a high clay area.soil also has sharp objects in it that may punture pipes.around the native clay/rock areas sand has been used for draining so that the grass does not have wet feet,all correct by the landscaper.a solution may be in the septic tank area remove grass and replace with tough weedmat cover with pebbles and boulders on top of the mat.the clay areas,drainage is important,maybe rotavate affected area mixing in compost and water holding granules,mix gradulely until you have a friable open mix that drains well.

Wink Re: Sand under grass

Lawn Care MythS
    The old old practice of top dressing lawns with sand in the belief that it was a proper lawn care program is incorrect . It has no benefits to lawns whatsoever. Continuing practice will only raise the lawn higher and create layers of sand and thatch that will only ever have a BAD impact on lawn health.

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Lawn Care MythS
    The old old practice of top dressing lawns with sand in the belief that it was a proper lawn care program is incorrect . It has no benefits to lawns whatsoever. Continuing practice will only raise the lawn higher and create layers of sand and thatch that will only ever have a BAD impact on lawn health.
    Thanks admin hearing about doing that didn't sit right with me.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Default Re: Lawn Sand under grass

I have a customer who has huge lumps all over his yard the ground keeps sinking in places. there house is even sinking into the ground. I have add soil into some of the holes here and there but his lad lord won't allow a proper top dressing. When top dressing do you recomend using proper soil.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

I would only ever use sand on slightly uneven surfaces that already have a good base of a loamy soil, or where there is bad drainage with ag line underneath. Used in minimal amounts it's fine, but so many people have no idea why they are even using sand, they just heard it is good to do it.

Default Re: Lawn Sand under grass /Top soil

http://www.indmowing.com.au/topdressing.htm

Click on link and see pics

Mark Paisley Lawn Mowing & Landscape Maintenance

Member of Independent Lawn Mowing Contractors Of Australia
    Member Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Members Forum

Top Soil Calculator
    Heres a link to make it easier when working out required topsoil/mulch to cover an area

http://www.baag.com.au/yardcalc.html
    or this one
    http://www.soil-compost.co.uk/topsoil_calculator.htm

Area Calculations
    IF U WANT TO CALCULATE AREAS OF DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS CLICK HERE http://www.calculateme.com/cArea/index.htm

A guide to TOPDRESSING LAWNS

For a long time many people have topdressed their lawns each year thinking they were doing the right thing when actually, all of this hard work and money was really not necessary. Don't get me wrong, all lawns at one stage or another will benefit from being topdressed, especially if this job is done correctly and at the right time of year.

Why Topdress?

The main reason for topdressing is to level the lawn or build it up to the desired level. Topdressing fills holes or low spots and encourages the grass to spread by giving it a medium to grow in.

Tools

Successful topdressing requires a few tools and some suitable soil. A good wheelbarrow with an inflatable tyre will make wheeling the soil easier. For shoveling and spreading the soil, an aluminium shovel is priceless. A small level-lawn is also a worthwhile investment for leveling and rubbing the soil in.

Soil selection is up to you but it is best to use a soil that is consistent with the soil that the lawn is growing in. This is usually sandy type loam. I prefer use a clean sandy loam rather than some of the lawn topdressing mixes available today which may claim to contain organic matter and fertiliser. My reasons for this are that a clean soil is easier to work with, resulting in a better looking finished job and you can make more money by fertilizing your client's lawns at a later date. It is up to you as a professional lawn contractors to determine the required amount of soil that is needed to complete the job.

Preparation

Before you actually spread the soil, make sure the grass is actively growing. Don't top dress dormant grass. You will damage it, if not kill it. A good idea is to give the lawn a fertilize a couple of weeks before topdressing, this will help the grass push through the soil quickly. Also, mow the lawn the day before you do the job. Long grass takes more soil to cover properly and the thicker the soil layer, the harder it is for the grass to emerge.

Doing the Job

Alright, you've fertilized, you've cut the lawn, purchased the soil and you are ready to go, but it looks like rain! DON'T DO IT! Why? Besides making a big mess, wet soil does not rub in well and can sometimes dry like a hard crust on top of the grass, making it very difficult for the grass to grow through.

Okay, now the sun is out, lets get into it. Start by spreading an even layer of soil over the lawn covering the entire area. I've seen many people topdress their lawns but only covering it roughly. If you are going to the trouble, at least make sure you do it right.

Once the lawn is completely covered, don't rush in to level it off, give it a couple of hours to dry first. This will allow you to rub in the soil more effectively and you will be able to fill up holes rather than smoothing wet soil over the top. This couple of hours will allow you to go and mow another lawn or work out what to do with any soil you have left over.

Once the soil is dry, start to rub it in with the level-lawn. This can be done in any direction, just as long as you go over the whole lawn. Pick up any excess with a shovel and make sure the job is as neat as possible. Leave the site clean and tidy. Sweep up any soil off paths and drives as clients really appreciate it and it makes you look more professional. Don't water the lawns for a couple of days. This will let the grass punch through the soil.

Well, that's it!
    Topdressing, another add on service that can be very profitable if done correctly and at the right time of year.

Guys have you ever used river sand. I went to mow a lawn many years ago and they got a landscaper in and he used river sand. when I mowed for the first time what a nightmare all those fine rocks in it. I thought it was strange to use this as this type of sand will compact am I right. What do you guys think?

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lenny
    Guys have you ever used river sand. I went to mow a lawn many years ago and they got a landscaper in and he used river sand. when I mowed for the first time what a nightmare all those fine rocks in it. I thought it was strange to use this as this type of sand will compact am I right. What do you guys think?
    My son did this in a few places from his sand pit sand i know what your saying about your legs. I was very cranky and told kim not to ever take sand out of his sandbox again.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by administrator

Once the lawn is completely covered, don't rush in to level it off, give it a couple of hours to dry first. This will allow you to rub in the soil more effectively and you will be able to fill up holes rather than smoothing wet soil over the top. This couple of hours will allow you to go and mow another lawn or work out what to do with any soil you have left over.
    This is one of the best tips. If you leave it sitting in the sun for as long as possible during the day after roughly spreading it out, it will dry out which allows the soil particles to really go down deep and get it nice and flat. If you are doing thin layers of top dressing, you can almost spread it through so you can hardly even see the topdressing. Do this twice rather than one thick layer and you will get a much better result and also won't be looking at brown dirt instead of green grass with only a little soil showing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast