Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Materials

Default Re: Materials

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Guys don't any of your customers ask to see all receipts and invoices? I can't get away with charging any mark-up so how do you? The only thing I do is charge for my time at nurseries, landscape supplies etc to source and procure/deliver product.
    There is no need to show clients invoices, do you ask any retail stores how much they mark up. No.

It isnt only the time to pickup materials, you have to consider other costs such as credit charges, etc that you need to consider. All business's mark up their inputs, so why can't we.

I hear what you're saying but for some reason the stigma still exists that we're "just gardeners". I had a client say that to my face a few months back and it made my blood boil but I was just too polite as usual and just laughed it off.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I hear what you're saying but for some reason the stigma still exists that we're "just gardeners". I had a client say that to my face a few months back and it made my blood boil but I was just too polite as usual and just laughed it off.
    That would have being the last visit i made to that client. We run a business and are no different to any other business person

As already stated, what price we pay for things is irrelevant. We are purchasing goods and onselling them to the clients. The markup is is up to each individual. If you have a good client and you want to give it to them at cost price, then good for you, but if you want to markup a product then that is your choice. If the client doesn't like the price they can always get someone else. You have to be out of pocket, put the invoice through your books, use your fuel to pickup things etc.. why should that be for no gain?

The best way to get around it is give the client an all inclusive price for those sorts of things. If you are putting a small garden in, give them a price for everything including materials and labour. If they want 5 plants put in with a bit of mulch, work out your costs and give them a quote. It saves a lot of hassles. Don't tell them exactly how much mulch you are putting in, put it in a way- "Supply and spread a layer of Cypress mulch to a depth of 50mm" rather than "supply and spread 2 cubic metres of mulch" as it just makes it easy for them to look up a price in 10 seconds flat over the net.

I also agree with bb1. If anyone ever told me I was just a gardener I would give them a massive spray and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by bb1 View Post
    That would have being the last visit i made to that client. We run a business and are no different to any other business person
    I'd have my say if they said that to me. What makes them better than me, you or the guy across the road.

Geoff goes on about this and this is what you have to understand!
    We happen to do gardening and lawnmowing etc etc BUT WE ARE IN THE SERVICE BUSINESS folks. It is how we provide that service that allows us to charge what we charge - clients will work out if it is a good deal or not. If they want convenience and a job done properly the first time then they pay me well to do it, If not they usually have a go themselves and/or find a cheapy backyarder or someone not as experienced. Will they get the follow up service that they may expect from those others -maybe , maybe not!!

"Marketing a service business can be tricky, because people are selling an intangible idea, rather than a product. Marketing often focuses on showcasing results, and on pushing customer service values to suggest that people will have a positive experience when they work with the business. A lawyer, for example, might demonstrate a high success rate with particular types of cases to attract customers, while a restaurant might pride itself on providing customer service of very high quality which makes diners feel like honored guests"

I have never had a client ask me to provide a copy of the invoices I have for purchasing the raw materials and if i did I would be annoyed. I am like Stripes. I quote the job on an overall price. That's what they pay. What I pay to get the stuff is my business. If they asked to see the invoices for it I would simply say no. If your not marking up your materials at a good price you will simply go broke. You make your money from mark ups on materials and labour. How much you mark it up is up to you. My rule of thumb is once offs I charge more whereas regs get a little bit of discount because i know things will be ongoing with them.

Oh and by the way this should be in the members are. I am not saying much more on this topic here.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Rockin Re: Materials

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    they get to see my receipt if they want to go and buy the stuff and have me do it that's fine by me but what i pay for stuff is my business not theirs i mean do they ask Coles to show them how much their groceries cost no they just pay the bill same here if they don't like the price i give they can organise the stuff themselves or get someone else
    Indeed, its all time, your time....

If they ask me for a copy of receipts I give them my invoice showing a all up total. If they want to pay for the goods up front then thats fine thay can go and order and organise and pay for it all and I will spread, erect or what ever but I still will only give them a all up total invoice.

Fair enough if they did'nt ask prior.
    If they ask for an itemised written quote b4hand, that would be a different matter though.
    Cheers Fred.

True but this is rare. Even in that process I would show the cost of the item with my mark up. If they want it cheaper than they can get it in themselves.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Very Helpful Member

if they ask for an itemised quote i usually give something along the lines of
    suppy and plant 6 iceberg roses $--.--
    supply and spread mulch to garden beds $--.--
    supply and lay garden edging $--.--
    the price being for supply and labour

if they ask how much mulch or edging i will use or for receipts i would ask them if they got there house painted would they ask the painter to show receipts for the paint and how much paint they intended to use the price i'm charging is the price there paying if there not happy with it they can find someone else
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Rather than be a plant and garden supplies reseller, I would arrange for client to agree to reimburse for these at cost, or to put items directly on client's account with nursery.
    Although I didn't make a margin on these items, I would charge for the TIME involved with purchase, pickup and delivery - usually better than a markup.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I mark up any materials or plants I source and supply but it's no where near the 50% to 100% mentioned on this thread and as for wholesale pricing the wholesale nurseries around here are not much cheaper than Bunnings on most plants so it's pretty hard to make much without going well over retail price.

Mulch
    Lucky to get $5 off a cubic meter on retail.

It's a balancing act to keep your quote competitive and I tend to go heavier on the labour content than to worry about making a certain percentage on goods.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

A lot of jobs I have done that involve supplying materials have come about after I have been ask how much it would cost for this, this and that. Most of the time they have no idea what the materials will cost so I always give them the price for materials and add on my labour which includes time sourcing materials, petrol etc, etc. I don't see the point in looking for every avenue I can to get the price higher and higher because quite often they do only have a particular budget. Once I come to a price that I am happy with for myself. The choice is theirs to agree or not. I don't want to loose potential jobs because I'm being greedy but I wont look after their hip pocket as a priority to mine.

BTW I agree with Bluey. Regular customers will get a bit of a discount and the reason I add on to my labour is because in my limited experiance it is the cost of the materials that put them off.

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass View Post
    Rather than be a plant and garden supplies reseller, I would arrange for client to agree to reimburse for these at cost, or to put items directly on client's account with nursery.
    Although I didn't make a margin on these items, I would charge for the TIME involved with purchase, pickup and delivery - usually better than a markup.

Exactly what I do.

I've tried establishing a working relationship with various suppliers in the hope of getting a better price on my purchases (with a view to selling on at cost price) but there doesn't seem to be such a thing as 'trade price' anymore!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast