Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: 13 & 1300 numbers vs Ordinary Number

Default 13 & 1300 numbers vs Ordinary Number

Interesting that most of my clients call me from within a local call zone, if I offered a 13 or 1300 number that would cost the caller on the average plan approx 27c.
    The cost to the client calling me on my landline via the standard number would be approx 17c.
    From a callers point of view (at least in my area) they are better of calling a local number instead of a 13 or 1300 number.
    Of course dialing a 1800 service is the best deal for caller.
    13 numbers obviously work well for multi branch business as they are easy to remember etc, But if a caller is dialing within a local zone the cheaper option would be to use the local number

Any other thoughts, observations etc? Skype maybe?
    JR

Default Re: 13 & 1300 numbers vs Ordinary Number

My wife is at home manning the phones we have my mobile and our business number ( local number) on our cards and flyer's.

It was my thought that people would choose to ring the local number because it is cheaper and I could have my wife answer queries and take bookings but about 50% choose to ring the mobile first

So i don't now if customers would really care if its a local or a 13 number a few tight ***** might.

Very Helpful Member

when i first started most people would ring the local no. not the mobile now i think people have got used to the idea of mobiles and don't even think of the cost .also if they are thinking of saving money[10 cents] on the cost of the phone call do you really want to work for them
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I agree, most people will now just ring the mobile, even though I give the local number as well. It's a benefit to them as they get to talk to me straight away (unless the mower or chainsaw are making to much noise), and I can generally give them an answer or tell them when I can call them back.

Thanks guys, Good Points.
    So far it would seem the general consensus is that people dont really care for such a small saving.
    Would this extend to the point that a 1800 number would not be a big enough saving for most people to bother using it over any other number?
    JR

Lancat

I found the cheapest option was to divert my home phone.

1300, 1800 & 0500 number are expensive to lease and then if you are diverting them to your home number your service provided deems that home number as a business number and then your line rental goes up on that as well.

When I started out I advertised in the local paper with my local landline number and my mobile number. I diverted the local landline number to a second mobile. I found that I got more calls via the local number.

Once I had built my client base up I stopped diverting my landline number and now only use the landline as an answering machine. When someone leaves a message on the answering service it takes the message and then sends a SMSes to my mobile informing me a message has been left.

I also use a caller ID unit with my landline phone that logs all incoming and missed calls. This is a great tool to us as I can quickly see what numbers I may have missed during the day (that’s if the caller has not blocked their number).

lethal

I only give out my mobile number, in my yellow pages add, on my business cards and the real estates that I do work for, they only have my mobile and of course my email and fax...my mobile rings so much that its bloody annoying but I think that proves that it doesnt matter, I also find its the location that people look at rather than the type of number they have to ring. I have so many clients all around my suburb it isn't funny, alot from the yellow pages add that has my suburb in it and they have all rung my mobile.

The reason I give my landline number is that people in my area can see that I am a local. We have a very loyal bunch of people in this area, and will generally try the local first. They still ring the mobile, but can at least see that I am local.

lethal

Quote Originally Posted by bb1
    The reason I give my landline number is that people in my area can see that I am a local. We have a very loyal bunch of people in this area, and will generally try the local first. They still ring the mobile, but can at least see that I am local.

Well I live Nth Gold Coast where hardly anyone gives 2 hoots about anyone but themselves

I agree bb1...My cards have both mobile and land line on them. Most call my mobile but all my oldies call the land line...

Default Call costs to 1800 numbers

I'm on a prepaid plan with DODO. Just $29.90 per month and ( get $320 in calls. For the first time I went over my limit - by $185 !!!

Closer inspection of bill reveals I had called Dean on his 1800 a good many times and spoke for extended periods during that month. This equates to nearly all of the excess calls!

Got the calculator out too - It would have been considerably cheaper to have called his land line number from the mobile, rather than the 1800 number.

I knew that calls to 1800 from a mobile weren't free, but I never knew it would actually cost more than calling his standard number!
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa