Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: 1300 numbers

Rod

Default 1300 numbers

Has anybody got a 1300 number. I have thought about it as I think mobiles can put customers off calling a 04*** number if presented with a choice of calling either 1300 or a normal phone number.

Has anybody made the change and has some feedback?

Ebony

Rod I understand that you like to appear like a large company, but this is not always a good thing. There is nothing like the amount of customers who ask us if we are a franchise or if we are "jims" and their response when the answer is no is always favorable.

Initial set up costs and running costs of a 1300 number depending on what service provider you have available may be more then can warrant an "alternative". Why not use your home number and divert to your mobile? Either way, you need someone answering the phone, or else it doesn't matter what number you use.

Local phone numbers are brilliant, if you have one then that is great lol. People will often look for who is local to them by the phone numbers.

If you are going to go the investment, I would personally go for a 1800 rather then a 1300. But unless you do not have a local number I would go neither. A 1300 number simply piggy backs to your current phone number so the calls will comes through on your current lines type of thing.

Take care

Ebony
    Last edited by indi_gal; 03-07-2004 at 08:37 AM.

Rod

I can understand your point about customers less than positive response when enquiring about your perceived franchise connections. I am sure we have all had that experience.

They (Franchises) must be doing something right look how big they are. Negative attitude could be more specific individual/operator based as opposed to system based.

To clarify my point learn from them and adopt the positives and used in conjunction with ones own natural strong points it is a step in the right direction. People/businesses are copying or modelling themselves on the likes of McDonalds/Coke/etc etc for years with great success. They simply have a form of unity that we can only strive for as independants.

My specific point is look good, look professional and above do a quality job at an affordable price (for both sides.)

I think we can all be a little bias of Franchise operators. Many of them do quality work and a great guys/girls often prepared to share information pricing and experiences.

Rod

1300 number/1800 numbers.

I understand the mechanics of diversion to say a mobile number etc for a 1300/1800.

However, a fixed phone is not always viable for diversion as nobody can use the fixed line at home whilst diverting ie: kids home from school well before we are. In addition should you move house/office the number usually changes (Yellow pages etc.)

I would like to hear from a contractor that has made the change and has noticed any difference in telephone traffic etc after converting from a 04** number.

Ebony

Hi again Rod,

Sorry for intruding again, you are obviously not looking for a reply from me and I understand you want to hear from a contractor regarding this I am just sharing my thoughts.

But Rod that is what I am saying, a 1800 is part of your fixed phone. To the best of my knowledge you cannot get a 1300 or 1800 number linked Directly to your mobile (it has to first go through a landline) and if you could link it directly to your mobile without a landline number it would cost a fortune in fees. But I am 99% sure this can not be done anyway as it must first go through a landline number, or in your case your hom number. So really a 1300 number is no different in respect to the landline and your family wanting to use it as these numbers go through your local number.

We found our 1800 number to be of great benefit At times as it is a free call. While I am not a contractor I do take calls for contractors and I can tell you IMO that a local phone number is of huge advantage to customers over a 1300 Number. A free call 1800 Number has great marketing advantages. That is all I am trying to say.

Good point about your landline number chainging when you move.
    Last edited by indi_gal; 03-07-2004 at 09:20 AM.

Rod

Hello Indigo,

Thanks for your imput. You can divert any format to a mobile phone so I have found out.

We are moving soon hence the point about loosing a fixed number.

Cost, yes that could be the big drawback. Thats why I have thrown this into the forum for comment.

Marketing the business in itself is a huge expense. I am trying to find what works and what does not. The 1800/1300 path is one I am yet to be convinced could make any difference.

It concerns me when our competitors have a simple 13**** number (and at huge cost they pass on to customers and owner operators) and we all have at leats eight digit numbers usually mobiles and at a premium cost to the customer. Convienience?

I think we both agree on the basics of the concept.

Dean cant mow

Default Re: 1300 numbers

Hi guys, i have been out of the industry for some years now and am coming back in tentatively.
    I started in 1978 in Ryde in Sydney and fell on my feet. (I remember in my Travels coming across a gentleman called Graham who told me he was going to wipe out all independant contractors , some years later his franchise approached me to buy my then susbstatial run off me). I think get stuffed was the answer.
    I always, always started my business name with"A", coz people are lazy, as soon as I got a brick mobile, I had a 1300 diversion, and couldn't keep up with the business. Answering machines **** me coz I'm always in a hurry, if someone has one, I hang up. I have had answering services, but they make you look too posh. I did have issues with being interrupted whilst working, but in the long run, phones are our livelihood.
    My rule has always been, charge more, do a better job, do freebies when its viable, and spoil the client.
    You do get taken advantage of, but same as any business.I have booked my yellow pages advertising (single line starting with "A"), and as soon as thats out will have a 1300 divert. My dishy girlfriend has agreed to drive the ZTR and I don't think she heard the "in the bikini" comment.
    Dean

Very Helpful Member

i like your name but i think everyone knows that is actually the reason dean started indy

Hi Rod, have you considered running a pager? 3 run a service for around $30 a month that gives you a land line number with someone answering it for you 24/7. They answer with whatever you want them to say ie: "Hello, Rod's mowing service, how can I help you?" They then take the details of the call & tell the customer that you'll call them back. They then send you a text with the customer's details. I've used it & it works a treat! The number is exclusively yours as long as you use the pager service.