Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Telstra T-Pad for Credit cards

Default Telstra T-Pad for Credit cards

Has anyone tried any of these new gadgets that allow you to accept credit/eftpos cards vai your mobile?

Default Re: Telstra T-Pad for Credit cards

I haven't bothered, mainly because I would guess that I never see 80% of my clients, so even if I had one, there would be no one there to swipe a card.

lethal

Quote Originally Posted by bb1
    I haven't bothered, mainly because I would guess that I never see 80% of my clients, so even if I had one, there would be no one there to swipe a card.
    very true dude, but it would be more like 50% or 60% of my clients.

I am interested in what these credit card gadgets cost and whether they are worth it, how they work etc etc.

If you have any more info I would be interested in looking at it.

Wink Re: Telstra T-Pad for Credit cards

Here's the Telstra link http://www.telstra.com.au/business/p...lepayments.htm

I think you might need to process numerous payments every month to justify the cost?

Cheers

Premier

You could always add a few % if your customer chooses to use it. Many places I've been to add a percentage to the bill if you use a CC.

lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Premier
    Here's the Telstra link http://www.telstra.com.au/business/p...lepayments.htm

I think you might need to process numerous payments every month to justify the cost?

Cheers

Premier
    You are dead right, you would need to put quite a few through to make it worth while

There is only one winner using this option, to quote the web site "The minimum cost is $1,139, plus the cost of a compatible Next G™ handset, T-Pad and eligible mobile plan." You can bet the compatible handest will not be a $200.00 model, the T pad is a further 299, and I would guess the plan is going to be another 30 or 40 a month.

That is a lot of lawns you have to mow, before you get to see one cent in your pocket. And don't think that Telstra are going to be concerned for your benefit.

I can only see one answer, don't waste your money.

Quote Originally Posted by bb1
    There is only one winner using this option, to quote the web site "The minimum cost is $1,139, plus the cost of a compatible Next G™ handset, T-Pad and eligible mobile plan." You can bet the compatible handest will not be a $200.00 model, the T pad is a further 299, and I would guess the plan is going to be another 30 or 40 a month.

That is a lot of lawns you have to mow, before you get to see one cent in your pocket. And don't think that Telstra are going to be concerned for your benefit.

I can only see one answer, don't waste your money.
    Fair call - I was more interested in the technology, but if they are going to make them too expensive, why bother?

Like most technology we might all have one for nothing in about 5-10 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ability
    Fair call - I was more interested in the technology, but if they are going to make them too expensive, why bother?

Like most technology we might all have one for nothing in about 5-10 years!!

On the technology front, in a previous life before I saw the light and started doing this for a living, the place I was working at was starting to trial and use some of this type of technology (although this is 2 years ago now, so would have changed). It did all seem to go reasonably well. The biggest issue was the realibility of the mobile phone network, and the numerous dropouts, interference etc.

I know in a lot of the areas where I work I am always having problems with mobile coverage. (I suppose that comes from picking an area in the hills on the fringe of Melbourne).

Generally from what I know there are no great issues with the technology or security aspects as such. For me it is purely a cost and usage issue.

Yumpus

Hi all:

I've been researching this Mobile Payment system from Telstra and I beleive that you are right. It is way too expensive and is not worth the amount of money. I also hear that it is not very reliable, fragile and bulky. Not a good bang for your buck.

I do feel that a mobile payment is needed and I came across this Mint Portable Payment System. www.mint-wireless.com

You guys should check it out. It looks really neat and does alot more of what I really need. It actually prints tax invoices, tracks inventory, allows for cash, cheque and account transaction and also syncs with MYOB and QuickBooks. I know taht the Jim's Group has got a super deal with them now and it's available through Optus and Crazy Johns.

The pricing is cheaper than Telstra's as they do help you in getting very good rates from the banks. Where Telstra asks you to get it yourself. I'm getting one for myself.

I spoke to the call centre at Mint and they reckon that they will be coming out with a new pricing plan soon that allows you to take payment on your mobile phone from as little as $19 - $29 per month.