Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hedger problem

Default Hedger problem

Hello,

Yesterday I started my Kaaz hedger and the engine runs fine but the blades do not move up and down.

Any suggestions is it something simple or should i take to the repair shop.

Thanks

Default Re: Hedger problem

clean it
    lube it
    spray it with inox after ever use's
    and you should not have a problem

ps
    how old is it when did you last use it.
    is it rusty
    is there a stick in it
    []

it is only a couple of months old I have not used it for about 4 weeks it has sat in the tool box on my trailer for those 4 weeks, i will give it good clean and look for sticks lodged in it.

Thanks for the advice

when all else fails read the instruction manual. The blade bolts were too tight slightly loosened them and it now works.

Lucky, when the blades on my Stihl pole trimmer stopped working it turned out to be the gears, $200 later it was working.

Quote Originally Posted by m287j
    Lucky, when the blades on my Stihl pole trimmer stopped working it turned out to be the gears, $200 later it was working.
    Same thing happened on a Husky I had-OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Bgs
    when all else fails read the instruction manual. The blade bolts were too tight slightly loosened them and it now works.
    Its a double edged sword! If you loosen them too much they give an awful shredded cut, rather than cutting clean. I loosen them all off until it's working OK, then tighten them one at a time, starting the motor between screws to make sure their not too tight. I also lube them with liquid lanolin before & after every job. It doesn't fly off onto you & the job like WD40 does & it lubricates the blades at least as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kakegc
    Its a double edged sword! If you loosen them too much they give an awful shredded cut, rather than cutting clean. I loosen them all off until it's working OK, then tighten them one at a time, starting the motor between screws to make sure their not too tight. I also lube them with liquid lanolin before & after every job. It doesn't fly off onto you & the job like WD40 does & it lubricates the blades at least as well.
    Thanks for that I was using wd40 aswell I will give the liquid lanolin ago.

I took all the blades off cleaned them then tighten the blades fully then unscrewed them a 1/4 of a turn so it might of been a combinations of tight blades and some gunk stuck in them.

worzel

Quote Originally Posted by kakegc
    Hi kakegc
    On my hedger I use oil,wd40 or crc
    Do you think liquid lanolin is better than an ordinary oil for maintaining blades
    Cheers Worzel

Lancat

I find Inox and lanolin stick to the blades really well thus letting the blades run cooler. I use the cheap $2 cans of de greaser to clean the blades under a running tap. Then spray the blades again with Inox or lanolin spray before storing them.

I also insure I pump one or two pumps of grease into the gearbox of the Sthil & Honda hedger every ten or so hours. The grease moves slowly up between the two blades. Don’t over fill the gearbox. The pressure of the extra grease in the gearbox sometimes dosent allow the drive gear to turn causing the motor to stall

If you have replaced your blades and don’t have a torque wrench, I find the easiest way to identify which bolt is too tight is by touch. Run the Hedger for a few minute. The tight will generate more heat that the others. Loosen that bolt and recheck the rest of the ,bolts again.

Quote Originally Posted by worzel
    Hi kakegc
    On my hedger I use oil,wd40 or crc
    Do you think liquid lanolin is better than an ordinary oil for maintaining blades
    Cheers Worzel

G'day Worzel! How was your Christmas & New Year? Good to see you back, I've missed you on here mate!

Yep, I reckon that liquid lanolin is streets ahead of WD40 or CRC (or Inox!) on the hedger blades! besides the lubrication, it cleans off all of that green crap that builds up between the blades & it doesn't burn the bushes that you're pruning.

Cheers, Kevin................

worzel

G,day Kevin
    Re Xmas- New Year
    Busy ,busy busy. It must be be hard for you Aussies with the drought and all
    Thanks for asking
    I can't seem to find that lanolin product over here.
    Does it have a brand name

G'day Worzel, the stuff I use is called Lanotec. You can get it aerosol or atomizer pump. I prefer the aerosol. Briggs & Stratton knock out one too. Most of the mower shops sell it here.

Drought, what drought??? it rained for a while one day about 8 weeks ago lol!

Cheers, Kevin............

Very Helpful Member

you could also try auto shops supercheap auto and autobarn sell it in vic
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

worzel

Gi,day Kakegc
    You use the same hedge trimmers as me.
    I have just started to use a lanolin based product.
    It does clean all the green muck off my blades.
    Thanks for the advice mate
    I find this forum gives advice from contractors who are doing the same work as you is far more honest than a dealer who only wants to promote their product.
    Do you find hedge trimming pays huge $ compared to lawns
    Cheers Worzel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast