Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customers green waste bins!!!!

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Default Customers green waste bins!!!!

Hello fellow members. I am just curious. How many of you use customers green waste bins? Are they ok about it? Do you ask 1st? Nick "The Local Gardener"

Default Re: Customers green waste bins!!!!

many of our customers say ok but the oldies i reckon no , unless you put the bin out you cant expect the old pensioner to drag out a bin full of rotton grass clippings . I reckon when you quote the price you should factor the tip fees in a day of 12 to 15 cutomers the tip fee s should be minimal when you spread it acroos the customers...

I will take up your advise. Much appreciated.

I'm with you there Geoff, a lot of the oldies just can't put out a full, heavy bin which is fair enough (sometimes I have trouble when mine is proper full ) A few offer the use of their bin and the rest I ask and most of them say yeah no problems.

True, very true. Heavy bloody things.

Unless it is springtime, I never allow the grass to get so long as to fill up a green bin . When I quote clients I explain it will be $5 a bag extra to remove clippings. (This allows for the extra time it takes to empty into bag, wear and tear on my ol bones , and time to take to the tip). As for the oldies the few who cannot put them out I could count on 1 hand, as most would get a neighbour to put their bins out if necessary (they seem to know everyone in the street ). The breakdown is actually 90% bins , 10% bags-much of this only ends up in other bins anyhow, you just gotta be smart about it.
    ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS ON YOUR BODY WITH LAWNMOWING IS LUGGING 10+ BAGS OF GRASS INTO THE TRAILER THEN EMPTY AT THE TIP EACH DAY. At my age I think I can be a little smarter than that

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Gardener
    Hello fellow members. I am just curious. How many of you use customers green waste bins? Are they ok about it? Do you ask 1st? Nick "The Local Gardener"
    Tell them to order a garden bag, usually only around $15 a month (here anyway), you can fit heaps in and the chap picks them up once a month, or fortnightly for a bit more.

geez how do expect the customer to put up with smell after a month...god we are providing a service take the bloody stuff away .... u charge for the service bloody well provide it i say

Lancat

Many of my clients offer the use of their green waste bin but I will only use them on bin day. For the same reason as Geoff, the smell of rotting grass is far from pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff
    geez how do expect the customer to put up with smell after a month...god we are providing a service take the bloody stuff away .... u charge for the service bloody well provide it i say
    I dont believe removing clippings is the lawnmowing contractors job, we are there to mow the lawn not remove clippings and cart to the tip, you never see a Top Gun contractor removing clippings, i still do it but will be phaseing out by the end of the year.

People can get them put in the compost heap,garden bag,,in the garden or in the green bin, dont forget to do your customers the day before the council picks up the bins, so theres no smell, the day before is ok to,as long as you beat the garbage man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancat
    Many of my clients offer the use of their green waste bin but I will only use them on bin day. For the same reason as Geoff, the smell of rotting grass is far from pleasant.
    I missed that, yes same day or day before is fine, dont forget to put your bin liner bag in first so theres no residule smell.

Most contractors around here always organise the Round around council pickup days, if you have to take clippings away $10 is becoming the norm, but they will soon find a spot for you to put them at that price

By not taking the clippings you maybe able to ditch the trailer and save on fuel as well, depending on your circumstances.

i thought as a lawn mowing service shouldnt we provide the complete service , so when we do prunings or tree removals then do we leave the rubbish in the back yard ..hey heres one what about rubbish removals

Hi All, I try and work it so the green waste bin and there lawn is done the day before collection or if you are passing on your way just call in and put it out for them. In the long run you benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff
    i thought as a lawn mowing service shouldnt we provide the complete service , so when we do prunings or tree removals then do we leave the rubbish in the back yard ..hey heres one what about rubbish removals

Actully believe or not most of my calls for pruning and small tree cutting etc are just before our local green waste pickup, i think we get it two or three times a year, so its a simple matter of placing it on the verge.

I know if i was a customer i would be calling then as well, i guess they are thinking about saving money on cartage to the tip, and they are right.

I should point out with lawn clippings if you mow the same day and the garbos are unexpectly early, it stuffs up that plan of putting in bin

I think if you are a good contractor that is prepared to provide a service you should take the clippings away.

Remember we are the ones that create them.

Try mulching.
    Darrel Foster
    Hastings Valley Mowing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast