Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: New guy needs advice

Default New guy needs advice

Hi all,

As the heading says I am new and in need of advice I will be starting my lawn mowing business in the near future but would like to have all of my bases covered. I have been in the yard care business before and am in no way new to mowing lawns but as for running a business of this sort is relatively new. I currently work full time selling diesel motors and I am a little tired of making other people money and would like to put my sales skills and people skills to work for my self.
    So I am going to keep working in my current profession and mow lawns on the weekend until I have enough ongoing customers.
    I have made a list of priorities while getting the business going.

No 1 Equipment purchase. Not a problem as I have been saving for a while to take on this adventure.

No 2 Join independent lawn mowing contractors.

No 3 Advertising. I hope from joining ILMCA I get some ideas from this. But I also live on a very busy street and I have had a sign made up that I can put out the front of my house with company name and contact details so I hope this brings some work. Also getting a heap of flyers and magnets made and running a add in the local paper. Please if there is anything else that can be done let me know it will be much appreciated.

No 4 do not give up keep at it and keep advertising.

No 5 hopefully start mowing some lawns and take pride in my work.

Please tell me what you think as I said I am not going to start my business until I know the exact direction I am going in and I have everything covered.
    Sorry for the long post but I hope you guys can help me out

Talking Re: New guy needs advice

Excellent way of going about things, just do what you are saying you are going to do and you will be ok .
    Welcome to the forum and have a good read.

Default Re: New guy needs advice

Welcome! Sounds like you're on the right track there. definately join Indi sooner rather than later...before you even buy your equipment as the discounts you can get on quality equipment is great.

The information you get from Dean when you join is invaluable! We found the business plan especially helpful, in particular the SWOT analysis (strengths, weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats).

We found if we lost track of why the hell we decided to do this (often happens when you're standing dripping in sweat on a 40 degree day) we'd get out the business plan and read it again...make sure we remembered why and also to check we were on track.

The people here are a wealth of information and advice so best of luck!
    ~ Joanne ~

Welcome

You've done the most important thing already - thought about what you're doing & made a plan.

Good luck with everything.

Where are you located ?
    Stanhope Gardens And Lawns

Gardening & landscaping, lawn mowing, strata cleaning & maintenance, high pressure cleaning

Residential | Real estate | Strata | Industrial & commercial

https://stratamaintenance.net
    https://stanhopegardensandlawns.com.au

Welcome, Yes you are going in the right direction, but most of all your work that you do is your best advertising. I have alway's said "If i am not happy with the quality of workmanship how can my customers b happy".Best of luck.

Hi TFAC!
    Fellow newby here same sort of situation as you. so you are not alone on the going where lawn men have gone before!

The only thing I think you have missed is talk to people, dealers, potential customers lawnies before you do anything. you have to have your own will and opinion but it costs nothing to chat and can save you a fortune or take you to oppertunities you hadnt considered.

Ive just ordered brochures and cards and will pick up most of my gear this week...very expensive week

All the very best with your venture
    To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Welcome
    As i have said on my opening forum if i had found out about this site and joined IND sooner i would have saved a lot of
    money speak to DEAN he has helped me and the advice from this
    forum has been apprecited also
    All the best with your new venture

be passionate , love what you do and enjoy the ride.......

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

as far as I'm concerned, you are doing all the right things. Never look at making $$$ straight away. Set your self a daily $$$ to cover your expenses and always remember. Return your customers calls ASAP. Most important. Good luck

Welcome TFAC.
    Remember thru it all, self employment isn't a job it's a lifestyle...and I love it! Best of luck to you.

good luck with your new venture.

Thanks guys I honestly did not think that I would get this much feed back and so quick.
    I am opening the business in Wollongong.
    I must also say that I am in no rush to do this as I said before I would like to have all bases covered. I am definitely going to give dean a call and join his organization before I venture any further. I am not looking for a quick buck I need this to be successful. So I am hoping that slow and steady will help as I will be able to do a quality job for my customers and when I used to be a offsider for a local company he was all about quality and so was I. We took pride in our work and I can just remember he was making a fortune from referrals.

I really hope that I can take on everything that I have read from this forum and put it to practice for my self as I think that this is the best information I have received so far.

Oh and what do you think about putting the sign up out the front of my house it is not a massive sign but I have looked at it from about 100 meters away and it really stands out as there are no other signs and very easy to read as they are plain bold letters and numbers. The sign writer actually recommended doing it this way as there is nothing else to try and look at simply business name what I do (lawn maintenance) and the phone number.

Welcome TFAC - All good so far!

Be wary of the local council rules for a sign.

Best advice I can offer - get to your potential customers and quote a fair price on the same day they call you.

some tips:

when starting out and as you grow your client base one needs to check the other contractors(including frachisers) out in your area with regards to service and price on a regular basics.your own garden(sign removed) and friends gardens are useful for this purpose.this will give you a good idea on quoting and the quality of your rivals for clients disposeable income.

give excellent quality work at a fair price,and then give more.even if you under quote and it takes longer than expected.when you first start the gardens take longer,with expirance each garden will become quicker to do.

go for the dollar a minute.this work is hard yakka and one needs to make good bucks to feel good and stay in the game.therefore it is imperative to quote the work ,not a hourly a rate to clients.they will try push a hourly rate on you, but stick to your guns if you can.(big jobs are diffcult to quote,so you will need to give a hourly rate until you can figure the quote out).

purchase a commecial multi tool with pole prunner,hedge trimmer attachement,pole edger and bump feed line trimmer.when doing the mowing quote ,scope the garden for add on work i.e prunning a tree away from the gutters/roof(possums bridge),clipping a diosma etc.these add ons will push the dollars up quickly and are profitable.don't let the client know the tools you have,quote the job like you have his tools,he will look at it as a hours work,quote it for a hour, it will take you half the time with the right tool.

be mindful of diffrent people and cultures.we all see the world so diffrent ,it all depend were you are standing to how you view it.

gardening is hard yakka,so have fun and remind your self why you are doing it.when one starts on a mess of a yard,cr...p all over the place,you wroking your a .. off,put the last tool in the trailer,stand back(cr...p on your shirt/face from the doggy poo) and have a look at what you and those commercial tools have done,made hell to paradise,thats what its about,and the reward is good dosh,nothing better.................

Quote Originally Posted by time for a change
    what I do (lawn maintenance) and the phone number.
    Yeah-welcome A DIME OR SOME CHANGE. {Coloquial=USA panhandler}
    Don't limit the ad.
    "From Nullarbor reafforestation to Antarctic herbifacation - Cactus pruning to Kelp harvesting. It will be done"
    etc etc.
    You will get max work. The next chore is to sort the spit from the clay.
    Welcome - disregard me and make a $$$