Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: New member will try again

Default New member will try again

Hi Dean and all,
    From B and J mowing Bundaberg, we have just joined the ILMCOA after 3 years of going it alone. Bundaberg is a hard place to make a living in this line of work.( one needs another income)
    It is a boom and bust situation Sept to Feb the lawns are growing well but the remainder of the time hardly any growth at all. During the growth period lots of mowers on trailers appear either School leavers or pensioners trying to supliment the funds from Centerlink.
    Needless to say their prices under cut ours, for example our price for a medium house block is 35 to 40 dollars where the Lawn Grubs as we call them will mow the same lawn for 20 to 25 Dollars no taxes insurance to pay and the car belongs to dad anyway.
    We can now beat the B--s.
    Our last advertising campain bought us a lady with a big home and garden. After a few mows, She asked us would we be interested in mowing her husbands housing estates of which he has 3. Only the edges of the roadways and one mower width past the first row of pegs. Also the Parks that are in the estates.
    Santurary park 20 Hts Coral Garden stage 5 35Hts and a new one not yet named 50 Hts. A lot of mowing.( and money try that with a push mower on a trailer.)
    We started out using a John Deere L111 and although it still goes is getting a little tired. Also we have a borrowed Toro ZX 400 Time cutter this is also starting to feel the strain.
    Take the bull buy the horns I have sold my house and am in the process of purchasing a Toro Z Master commercial 48 inch cut.
    it looks as though it will take on the task ok. 13,000$ +- also as I am not getting any younger 2 World 22 inch Hand mowers a Bufflow copy with Honda Engines self propelled.( French made gearboxes)1000$ each Any bad reports about these mowers????
    Then to round it off a new car carrier trailer to carry all the gear on.
    Lets see how we go now.( all in All my son who now runs the business will spend around 25,000$) of the house money.
    We will not get rid of the lawn grubs but we will I HOPE BEAT THEM.
    Best to all Bob Judy and Gary Firth. B and J mowing Bundaberg
    Thanks to you also dean for your help. ean: we now have a 1800 number.
    Email firth_robert@yahoo.com.au

Default Re: New member working out well so far

HI Dean and all,
    The latest news from BJS Services is as follows. The House is sold and we are renting it back from the new owner.( no more maintenance worries, or how to pay the newly increased rates )

Instead of investing in a Jims mowing franchise we have the new Toro commercial Zmaster 450 around $13,000 which we are charging out at $100 per hour.
    The John Deere 111 has been given a much needed break the Deck is worn out so much that when we engage the blades the pullys lean inwards.

I answered an add in the local paper from a developer wanting someone reliable to mow around his 50 blocks. we got the job My price plus. More if we do extra work, as it has not been mowed for 3 months there is plenty of extra work
    Also another to mow 4 acres for old couple who can,t cope any longer 1 1/2 hrs work per 2 weeks. ( a good start ) The Toro eats up the grass

Our 2 new 22 inch World mowers are going well over 70 hrs up on both of them. We have had no real problems, I had to put thread lock on the handle tightening devices to stop them comming undone all the time. on their 2nd set of blades.

Customers to date 50 small mows 2 large acreages 5 Housing Estates 2 Body Corps
    our monthly average is up 30% with the new gear lets hope that things keep going like that. Jim has around 8 guys in our area.
    From what I am lead to believe some of them are not too happy.

Bob and Gary Firth
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New member will try again

good to you guys are doing well up there..
    my bro inlaw live up your way/apple tree creek\all the best guys
    []

Sounds like you are going o.k,,,i would not go as far as selling my house to buy equiptment for this business,,but hopefully things work out well for you.

Hi Mr Sandgroper,
    You are correct it was a pretty drastic measure.

Unfortunatly as I am 67 and have no Super to speak of (worked overseas as a Marine Engineer) Ever tried to get a job in Australia when you are over 45 !!!!!!.(can't buy many Stubbies from the Centerlink payout either).
    The son has no Trade was a Coffee waiter woking for $500 per week and tips

As I mentioned the lawn grubs make it almost impossible to make a living mowing house allotments, so selling the house was the only way to go if we were to make a go of this business no borrowing or leasing that is crazy.

There was enough left over for a sizable investment and the interest pays the rent.

Plan B is if the son Gary can get the business up and running he can buy the next house
    (First home buyer) the wife and I will give him the deposit and he can put us in the Granny flat.

Lets see what happens ask us in a years time.
    best from Bob and Judy Firth

Quote Originally Posted by BJS Services
    Hi Mr Sandgroper,
    You are correct it was a pretty drastic measure.

Unfortunatly as I am 67 and have no Super to speak of (worked overseas as a Marine Engineer) Ever tried to get a job in Australia when you are over 45 !!!!!!.(can't buy many Stubbies from the Centerlink payout either).
    The son has no Trade was a Coffee waiter woking for $500 per week and tips

As I mentioned the lawn grubs make it almost impossible to make a living mowing house allotments, so selling the house was the only way to go if we were to make a go of this business no borrowing or leasing that is crazy.

There was enough left over for a sizable investment and the interest pays the rent.

Plan B is if the son Gary can get the business up and running he can buy the next house
    (First home buyer) the wife and I will give him the deposit and he can put us in the Granny flat.

Lets see what happens ask us in a years time.
    best from Bob and Judy Firth
    good on bob & judy & gary
    some times you have to do these things to get bye.
    so i hope it all go's great for you all
    []

The way things are going you might be able to buy the house back for 1/3 the price you sold it for. Bond v's Packer & channel 9.

Cheers
    gjs

Hi Dean and everyone,
    Regretfully we have been unable to use the computer for a while but we are worn out evey night business is picking up slowly thank goodness. Now 4 housing developments on the books.

The new Toro is starting to pay for itself and mowing a 4 hectacre park in under 2 hrs. charge out rate $100 per hr so worthwhile. More work promised by this developer as his previous guy charged him $400 for the same job.

We are mowing the footpaths and parks while a contractor with a Slasher does the inside of the blocks and outer fringes of the Park. The guy in charge of the Park mowing mentioned that we should send in a proposal to the developer and providing it is ok he would recommend that we get the slashing job as well.

The big problem we do not have a tractor or a slasher. Used one for sale for $12k and we use a car carried that can uplift 2 ton it may work. Will wait and see if our proposal is accepted. Still some house money left. 2 years gauranteed work not to mention outside work as well, the worst fire season in 15 years at the moment and the Council is cracking down on people who do not keep their grass mowed

Best regards to all Bob & Gary Firth B and J Mowing Bundaberg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How goes it now BJ .HOPEFULLY YOU ARE POWERING ALONG .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Hi Dean,
    All is well with BJ Services had a bit of good luck a month ago found a 60 inch 3 cylinder Diesel Torro/ Exmark Mower at the right price and very low hours like 100. Wow does it fly through the grass this machine fills in the gap between the Tractor Slasher and the 48 inch Torro
    Even though the weather has turned cold we have plenty of work long may it stay like that.
    The local Council want us to get Blue cards and upgrade our Insurance to ten million Dollars before we can work for them at the moment we do not need the work but will be in touch re up grading our policy at a later date.
    Our new contract Housing Estate is working out OK we use the slasher for the rough stuff the new Exmark for the good parts while I walk miles with the edger and finish off with the Torro and catcher. Just on 1000$ for 6 hours work sending you a brochure in case you are interested in one of the remaining blocks in stage 1.
    These are a steal at $240,000 each Cable internet Gas Electricy to the door. These are the first 40 blocks of a 900 block development.I will ring you later in the week. Thanks for your help.
    Best regards,
    Bob Judy and Gary.