Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: How long

Default How long

Ok I can see that this has been asked here before but I was wondering how long it took most guys here to get there business making money. Will ILMCOA fast track to success help a lot with getting the business up and running and also making money quicker.

My equipment will be purchased in the next few days as the tax man was good to me this year. I just really need the help with the advertising and I am not to sure where to start but it seems that everyone swears by the fast track to success please let me know what your feeling are about this it will be much appreciated.

Default Re: How long

I just want to say that when I first started out with this I was looking at buying a franchise but I became nerves as it looks like buying a franchise had a lot of hidden costs.
    Now that I am ready to go with my own business I am nerves again I am so worried that this is not going to work out and that I have wasted a lot of hard earned money I have just realized that there is a lot of competition and there are a lot of guys out there doing lawn mowing and charging nearly nothing. Thats basically the reason that i am so interested in the fast track to success.

your starting with the defeatist attitude (defeated before you start)
    Think of the saving from not purchasing the franchise as your first years income. There is a lot of cheapies out there but remember the old saying pay them peanuts and you get monkeys. Keep a positive attitude and beleive me it works out in the end, really slow for a while then it will hit you like a ton of bricks and you will have more than enough to make a casual living of at least $1,200 pw that's in 12 months be patient it will work out.

Reagards and be positive
    Garry

we used deans fast track to success to the book from jan 08 full time.it got us up and running really fast and profitable in two months to our requirements.(we moved from nz to oz in oct 07,had one contact in the buz and joined indi) it is july 08, and we have 40 regular landscape maintenance clients(all earned,none bought), and 1-4 new clients(some referals) each week,that may or may not become regular.we advertise only twice a month now,started with a advert every week.your requirements for profitablity may be diffrent from a acounting pespective.FTTS will help you work out what is your break even point to become profitatble.it is very competitive in this market,FTTS helped us in regards to this and stratgies to help one win.quoting is key and how one presents oneself to the client to bet the weekenders and cheap runners.we believe in getting our head in the game,working hard,flat stick and success comes.knowlege is power,this comes with applying oneself to the game.

if your are nervous about going into it,just put your toe in on the weekends and keep you full time job.This way you should keep the toe intact.

Put out flyers and offer the 4th mow free trust me the work will roll in and the good thing about that there not one offs and a majorty of my clients are old, They must have thought saving $35 was a big deal, The only thing you will lose is time {1 free mow} but your ganing a client you could have for years to come.

And if your not confdient to start this just do it part time and work your way up.

The Bushpig

When you start out do your very best on every lawn you get every time & believe me every time you do the lawn you will find a slight variation of something of your mowing technic that will improve your cut each time.I've been going at it for three years now and still find a little something that makes a difference to the end job. Theres nothing but like a happy customer!Wealth flows from there!

Quote Originally Posted by gjs
    your starting with the defeatist attitude (defeated before you start)
    Think of the saving from not purchasing the franchise as your first years income. There is a lot of cheapies out there but remember the old saying pay them peanuts and you get monkeys. Keep a positive attitude and beleive me it works out in the end, really slow for a while then it will hit you like a ton of bricks and you will have more than enough to make a casual living of at least $1,200 pw that's in 12 months be patient it will work out.

Reagards and be positive
    Garry
    I did not realize that what I was saying was so negative. I am keen to get out there and be my own boss it is just that all of this is new to me as it would have been for many here it can all just become a little overwhelming.

I didn't start from scratch, I boughht an established business (bout 40 clients) but I found heaps of handy tidbits in the book that I still apply now. I'm sure you could make a success of it without it by doing the comon sense stuff like proffesionalism (I'm sure thats spelt wrong), service, QUALITY etc etc, the way I thought of it though mate was that every little bit helps and the fee isn't just for the book but its a lifetime membership and help chain in something you do everyday. Proud to be an Indy.

Talking Re: How long

Quote Originally Posted by time for a change
    I just really need the help with the advertising and I am not to sure where to start
    Suggest you separate yourself from the "dash for cash" cowboys and leave the budget end customers to them. To differentiate yourself, set yourself up as a pro from the start - signage on your trailer and embroidery on hi-vis shirt.

Flyers can work well, but printing and distribution can be a big investment - but if you're not flat out and got spare time, pick and choose some good areas and deliver them yourself. I knocked on doors to introduce and quote, then left flyer in letterbox if not home.

Fridge magnets are a fantastic alternative to business cards and can still be used as such. They can have all the same info but are much more likely to 'stick around' (excuse the pun!) and work harder for you. If you get a heap made from someone like mrmagnet.com.au, these might actually be cheaper than business cards! I got 7,000 for $700.

I would have to say signage on my trailer would be by far the most cost effective advertising and best $500 bucks I spent so far. Every time you do a good job and someone passes by, they know YOU did that job. Your trailer/mobile billboard will work for all year round, so I recommend you design a logo/brand name and have contact details prominent.

Hope this helps.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Wink Re: How long

Quote Originally Posted by time for a change
    Ok I can see that this has been asked here before but I was wondering how long it took most guys here to get there business making money. Will ILMCOA fast track to success help a lot with getting the business up and running and also making money quicker.

My equipment will be purchased in the next few days as the tax man was good to me this year. I just really need the help with the advertising and I am not to sure where to start but it seems that everyone swears by the fast track to success please let me know what your feeling are about this it will be much appreciated.

Why are you wasting your time trying to work it out join Indy and save yourselve the headaches get the manuel etc and away you go.
    Amazes me how people will use there forum to get there businesses going but have 2nd thoughts about joining .
    you wanna save money and fastrack you way into the game spend the 145.00 and stop messing about trying to figure it out its all laid out for you and you get a mentour to boot .

Re: Time for a change
    Spring is just around the corner and it's shaping up as a good one.
    Soon your problems will be which customers to accept.
    All established operators will be flat out with regulars - not seeking new clients.
    Get your arse ready.
    The last bloke who used your slogan was Goff Whitlam - if you are him
    do not let the fact that you are 90 and in a wheelchair worry you.
    Mowing a few lawns will help boost your pension.

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain
    Why are you wasting your time trying to work it out join Indy and save yourselve the headaches get the manuel etc and away you go.
    Amazes me how people will use there forum to get there businesses going but have 2nd thoughts about joining .
    you wanna save money and fastrack you way into the game spend the 145.00 and stop messing about trying to figure it out its all laid out for you and you get a mentour to boot .
    well said

maybe reverse psycholgy will work,don't get fast track if you on slow track, it will take you two years to establish a round.then purchase fast track for $145 and tell us if you could have done it quicker and better.

grasshopper

My mantra is to do every job as I would my own place, regardless if it's a pit,jungle,or crap infested. And I tell customers that as well, and they love that attitude. I have picked up friends, relatives, and work colleagues from one customer in particular, and thats what worked. I didn't bull**** her, just be honest. You won't get them all, but you'll get the ones that matter.

GazzaP

Love this thread- very inspiring!
    Gaz