Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Tungsten Tip Blades

mojo111

Question Tungsten Tip Blades

Ok 2nd post. Has any one used them befor , are they any good ??
    how long do they last I have a ariens 1640'' zoom, most exellent on resident lawns,do acerage as well no bush bashing but. great finnishing mower, any thoughts please and thanks. Phill

Alex Callaghan

I'm sure the Tungsten Caribide blades are very strong and would hold an edge far better than a standard steel or boron blade.

Things to find out before buying would be.
    1/ Dose the company mix cobalt with their Carbide?
    If not Tungsten can be very brittal and is prone to shattering. Cobalt will reduce shattering by 100%. Ie. SES use Tungsten, Cobalt chains on their saws and cut through concret, steel etc.

2/ Is it going to be cost effective. I mean would you be better of ($ wise) just getting borron blades from ASP and running the grinder over them when needed. Or are these tungsten blades going to last so long that the price is justified.

3/ I dought you will be able to sharpen these blades. So when there done it time for the bin

mojo111

Thaks alex. will do some more research on the cobalt. so far found a price from Ariens $90.ozi. a set of 3 not sure if thats good or not.

Alex Callaghan

$90 AUD for three blades!!!

Thats very exy mate. They would want to last for at least 2 months for me to buy them at that price. Thats just me though.
    If you do try them lets us all know how they go arfter some hard days in the trenches and how long they last, If they nick, cut well, etc etc.
    Who knows they could be the ducks nuts as far as blades go?
    Lets us know.

Cheers,

mojo111

No problem alex mite get them next week. Only got 50 hrs on the mower so far and the standard blades are only just showing abit of wear,
    not enough to sharpen yet. Been waiting on the mulch blades as well, there still on the dam boat or stuck on the dam warf bugga.

Default Re: Tungsten Tip Blades

Indi blades last twice as long as Honda originals and at fraction of the price are great value.
    Get yourself 20 pair at start of season - (with nuts and bolts to suit)
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa