Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Economy Starting to tighten

Default Economy Starting to tighten

Bad new today our chain of taberats have requested our services every 2 weeks in stead of the existing every week visits.... they say people are not spending as much on the pokies so they have to cut costs..the window cleaner was the first and now the gardener..that being us...lucky we got a shot at a big business park to fill the whole but after 20 years u still learn the hard way...dont rely on a few customers but many..spread the load...the money was huge for the tabs but losing the weekly visits made us sit up and get going again...became too easy good money so back to the real world and spread the customer base.......they said oh when things come good again we will get u to come back every week..somehow i dont think so and the place will not look as good as they were bluntly told .
    I believe a lot of business are getting spooked and looking at costs

Default Re: Economy Starting to tighten

Sorry to hear that Geoff, hope you fill the hole quickly.

And you're right, better to spread the money around rather than rely on the big few.

From the rumblings in the financial sectors across the world it sounds like things will get worse before they start to get better.

I am sure you gave them a great price for cutting every week

Dont forget to put there price up ,extra work cutting every two weeks instead of one

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

lifestyle

I find the key is to keep moving forward regardless of how slow it happens. Stand still or or go backwards and it takes a lot to pick up again.

the trouble with some of these companies they are trying to increase the profits margins from last good years and thats not possiable , so the cut expenses to try and maintain that greed..these taberats turn over 4 million an week......watch the banks i bet they wont pass on full interest falls cause they want that bottom line to get bigger

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by geoff
    the trouble with some of these companies they are trying to increase the profits margins from last good years and thats not possiable , so the cut expenses to try and maintain that greed..these taberats turn over 4 million an week......watch the banks i bet they wont pass on full interest falls cause they want that bottom line to get bigger
    I think the bigger banks will pass on the interest rate cut (assuming it happens). I'm iffy about the other lenders though... They carry a lot of debt from the international market and are effected more by the US credit crunch.

admin for the past nine years we were gardening and mowing every week , so to go back to 2 weeks is amazing..... things must be tough

lifestyle will be interesting to see what they do ..some experts reckon they wont but lets see

Quote Originally Posted by geoff
    admin for the past nine years we were gardening and mowing every week , so to go back to 2 weeks is amazing..... things must be tough

No dont think its that tough i think they just reduced there gardening bill by 50 per cent
    Good management skills wouldnt you say .
    If your going to still do the job and the same price every 2 weeks then i couldnt blame them for trying it on
    THats what im seeing from your post just my view from a distance

Another point
    If you have been doing there grounds every week for the past nine years im sure you would off seen the dramatic change in patrons especially in the car park

Have you seen the change or is it still the same car park attendance i think you know what im trying to say
    Last edited by administrator; 06-10-2008 at 09:16 PM.

bigger banks passing on the full interest rate cut I hope i am wrong but I think I may be right, half will just stay to keep the shareholders happy

Thumbs up Re: Economy Starting to tighten

100 billion profit to banks this year alone yep times are tough

The world's biggest mining company, BHP Billiton, has announced full-year profits of US$13.4 billion, up 28 per cent on last year.

7th February 2008, 15:15 WST

National Australia Bank Ltd has maintained its profit outlook despite rising bad debt levels and an admission the global credit squeeze will last longer than expected.
    notice the date

Westpac posts record profit
    Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font Marc Moncrief
    November 1, 2007 - 4:41PM

Advertisement
    Westpac has given outgoing chief executive David Morgan a record profit to report at his last results presentation, with superannuation reforms helping the bank tally a $3.5 billion net profit for the year to September 30.

The result was an improvement of 12 per cent on last year. The bank also a final dividend of 68 cents, up 13 per cent, bringing total dividend payments for the year to a record $1.31 a share.

15 August, 2008

$480m record pokies profit in South Australia

BP Plc reportedly posted a 53 percent jump in fourth-quarter profit as production rose, according to a Bloomberg report. Output rose for the first time since 2Q ‘08 because of new fields in Angola, Trinidad and the Gulf of Mexico. BP expects to raise extraction to more than 4 million BOE a day in 2009, which will rise to about 4.3 million barrels a day in 2012. BP in December started oil and gas exports from the Atlantis platform after a one-year delay. Pumping will reach plateau production, 200,000 barrels of oil and 180 million cubic feet of gas a day, by the end of 2008, the company said. It also plans to begin production at Thunder Horse by the end of 2008. BP started pumping crude from the Greater Plutonio field off the Angolan coast in October and natural gas from two fields offshore Trinidad in November and December.

September 20 2008

RETAILER Myer Group has delivered net profit for 2008 up almost 40 per cent, and has forecast improved profitability by mid-2010. Not to mention the sales from Myer Catalogue.

Posted Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:35am AEST
    Updated Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:40am AEST

Woolworths defies economic slowdown (ABC News)
    Lower consumer confidence and the economic slowdown have not hurt supermarket giant Woolworths, with after-tax profits up by more than a quarter to just over $1.6 billion.

Qantas Ltd expects a 41 per cent fall in profit this financial year as the airline faces the headwinds of rising fuel costs and a slowing global economy.

Qantas said pre-tax profit in 2008/09 was likely to be in line with the analyst consensus forecast of $825 million, after reporting a rise of 46 per cent to $1.41 billion for the 12 months to June 30.

Australian-listed mass media group News Corporation has posted a net profit for the 2008 first quarter of $US2.7bn including abnormals. Its operating earnings were $US1.44bn, up 16%. Executive chair Rupert Murdoch highlighted the strong contribution of the Australian newspaper assets to the multinational group, especially as advertising revenue is booming in that market. Operating earnings for the print media division rose 38%. This includes the recently acquired Dow Jones, with its "The Wall Street Journal" flagship, for which Murdoch has high hopes. He also signalled that further talks with internet company Yahoo! on a possible acquisition were not an immediate concern

Australia Post
    Modified: 22/09/2008 - Size: 47.5KB in Australia Post Website/auspost ... Australia Post earned a record pre-tax profit of $561.7 million

Yet Australia post will be raising the price of the 50 cent stamp to 55 cents

The State Government spent more than $165,000 on consultants to overturn its divisive ban on growing genetically modified crops.

and the list of companies go on

Good on ya Australia
    Last edited by administrator; 06-10-2008 at 10:47 PM.

My sister took the minutes for a meeting with all the top mangers for an international airline last week. Point of the meeting was the American economy crash, they think that the US crash will not affect Australia or NZ but stressed that the company will be tightening their belts and there will be no further unnecessary spending.

I think that this way of thinking in Australian business goes from corporate to the average small business owner. The Government keeps on saying that Australia will not be affected but I think that no one really knows what will happen in the near future.

We were going to up grade and finance a new ride on after Christmas, instead we have decided to hold onto our old one for another year and pay off the wife's car earlier

WE ARE LUCKY IN ONE SENSE THAT THE GRASS GROWS NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS TO THE ECONOMY AND SOMEONE HAS TO MOW IT

We were going to up grade and finance a new ride on after Christmas, instead we have decided to hold onto our old one for another year and pay off the wife's car earlier
    [/QUOTE]

I think thats a great idea Aussies have been spending far to much, about time everybody had a look at their finances and assets and just have some fun with family and friends and enjoy life a little more .

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by administrator

I think thats a great idea Aussies have been spending far to much, about time everybody had a look at their finances and assets and just have some fun with family and friends and enjoy life a little more .[/QUOTE]

Thats true. Unfortunately, as lawnies i think we sometimes spend more time improving the lifestyles of our clients and let our own lives take a beating...

Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast