Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reel Mowers for NSW

Default Reel Mowers for NSW

I am in a bit of a Dilemma, i am starting to get a few Manicured lawns (Sir Walter ect) and have been thinking of a MEY reel mower for a better finish, is anyone using reel mowers in NSW and can they be used for normal lawns, how do the WA contaracors go with them
    Help
    Terry

Default Re: Reel Mowers for NSW

use search button top of page type in cylinder or M.E.Y. Reel Mowers a few threads available on the subject

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Personally i only know 1 contractor who uses a reel mower in Sydney, and in that case it is the client's mower and he insists it be mowed with his reel mower.

Other than that i know no one with reel mowers, a number of my clients have manicured lawns and they come out beautifully when mowed with my Honda mower.

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mobbster
    I am in a bit of a Dilemma, i am starting to get a few Manicured lawns (Sir Walter ect) and have been thinking of a MEY reel mower for a better finish, is anyone using reel mowers in NSW and can they be used for normal lawns, how do the WA contaracors go with them
    Help
    Terry
    When i asked a similar question a few months back i was told a Honda was a "reel" good mower

Terry, Most of my mowing is cylinder or as it is know reel mowing, if you buy a mey you will be up for around $5000 plus, the mowers i use are rover 6 blades and 10 blades the ten blade gives a finer cut the price for the mowers are between $1600 to $2000 i have a 10 blade that is 8 years old and still cuts like new just get them serviced regulary and keep them sharp sharpening is around $160 but you have to keep your mowers adjusted at all times the rovers are a domestic mower but are easy to work on and have sharpened if you stick to these you will have no problems, the mowers are designed to cut cooch however you can use it on other grasses but the grass is harder to cut and stripe, the work is out there as there are very few of us that do the mowing on a regular basis, why you are dealing with very fussy customers it is time consuming and you have to know how to use the mower all this takes time, i do 20 plus lawns a week, plus ride on work, and rotary mowing, make sure you charge the right amount as the mowers and your time are expensive,prices range from a small lawn $55.00 to average $88.00 to Large $150.00.

Rob, Maxwells Mowing

I saw a 2nd hand one at the mower shop today for $2500 and it said new cost $5500,, i don't think they cost that much but prices may have changed since i looked last.

Not sure how they would go in NSW and if theres any weeds in the lawn they will not cut a lot of them, you will have a perfect lawn with all the weeds still sticking up

They do save a lot of time though,,at around 28 inches the average mower,, it takes less time to mow the lawn and with a big capicity catcher on the front you don't need to empty it as often as a rotary.

Maybe get a cheapo like Casadels has ?

Reel mowers do give you a nice finish especially on couch grass. The problem with them is that they are a lot slower than say a Honda to work with. You also need a very flat and even surface to mow.
    I have used one on a Buffalo lawn at the owners request. The lawn looked terrible as the buffalo was quite long.

They are also exspensive compared to the Hondas.

As a contractor my time is important to me so I recommend the blade mowers for a good finish in quick time.
    Darrel Foster
    Hastings Valley Mowing

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper
    I saw a 2nd hand one at the mower shop today for $2500 and it said new cost $5500,, i don't think they cost that much but prices may have changed since i looked last.

Not sure how they would go in NSW and if theres any weeds in the lawn they will not cut a lot of them, you will have a perfect lawn with all the weeds still sticking up

They do save a lot of time though,,at around 28 inches the average mower,, it takes less time to mow the lawn and with a big capicity catcher on the front you don't need to empty it as often as a rotary.

Maybe get a cheapo like Casadels has ?

I had a good result yesterday and picked up a 28 inch D & F for $1400 (the bloke was asking $2000) They are great mowers, I was originally going to buy a new MEY but talking to the MEY shop they were were very arrogant as if they were doing me a favour taking $5200 off my hands. The D & F is a sweet mower, buy one second hand as they last forever.
    Off the subject a little, I went to an Auction in Perth this morning and picked up a tanaka blower and Brushcutter for $40 for the pair What a good result.

lifestyle

This might be something worth considering for smaller lawns to get a feel for the market...

http://www.turfmachinery.com.au/~tur...5c75b560173f03

I had a couple of old antique scott bonars about 15 years ago. Picked em up for $80 each. I kick myself now for getting rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Fender
    The D & F is a sweet mower, buy one second hand as they last forever.
    Yes get a good one and they last do forever,,,everybody i know has D&F mowers and edgers,,i think M.E.Y is more popular in the Northern Suburbs of Perth,,,i had one in a round years ago and it went fine,,,not a lot of difference both have the Honda 9 HP or are they 8 i forget,,,if anybody wants a decent commericial cylinder mower its got to be D&F or M.E.Y,,nothing else comes close

Dwywer and Felton i think Dave still owns the business .

DF cylinder mowers are belt driven and Mey cylinder mowers are chain driven other than that they are the same different paint jobs .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Just wondering how you guys in WA go with transporting the big MEY mowers around. I want to get a 28- 30 inch MEY or similar, but I'm just a little worried on getting it on and off the trailer 10 times a day. They must weigh around 150kgs?

175 kgs i think they are,,just drive them on and off,,make sure you have a strong plank and hopefully your mode of transport is not to high (ute/trailer)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper
    175 kgs i think they are,,just drive them on and off,,make sure you have a strong plank and hopefully your mode of transport is not to high (ute/trailer)
    Thanks mate! I forgot they have the seperate clutch for moving around without the blades being engaged. Should be sweet then. My trailer has a ramp so I can just drive it straight on without any dramas. I was just worried about pushing all that weight up the ramp but I dont need to worry.

ive got a 30 inch mey 12 years old still goin hard i use my trailer to get my gear around its got a ramp on the back the drops down on hinges when its up and padlocked the trailer is secure the ramp has rubber stripes so it can grip wile going up the mowers self drive so no worries going up can do it while idling but i dont . i do it 18 times a day in summer some days i wouldnt mind a spring or sumthing to help it go up but im 23 and ill worrie bout that when i get a new trailer eventually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast