Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

lifestyle

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Quote Originally Posted by Islandhead
    In fact, by posting scientific snippets ad nauseum I reckon you are doing the point you are trying to make more harm than good.
    Interesting...

So you don't think most will view the many hundreds of individual websites, books and the like available on environmental & health risks associated with chemical exposure as there being not just me, not 2 but many thousands of people warning against their use ?

Like i said before, i don't expect lawnies to agree, chemicals are your livlihood.

I have found i am getting more work since i officially marketed myself as Organic than i was when i sprayed chemicals... go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by lifestyle

chemicals are your livlihood.
    Nice of you to presume. I have a 1itre bottle of roundup that i've had for 2 years and is still half full.

But you just go on preaching

lifestyle

Nice of you to presume. I have a 1itre bottle of roundup that i've had for 2 years and is still half full.

But you just go on preaching
    Thats great. But i was only answering your reply.

That doesn't limit the fact that the majority here are saying "Yes we know chemicals are bad but what alternative do we have"

My continuing discussion is trying to head in the direction of "Why do we need an alternative ?"

That's the problem. I don't think most of this has been a discussion. A few times people have asked you questions that you seemed to ignore, preferring to, again, quote more scientific research that chemicals are bad...

I have visions of you standing in your pulpit, thumping your anti chemical bible preaching to the masses, all the while using petrol ( a pretty bad carcinogen) and spraying salt all over the place with wanton abandon (sorry bit sarcastic but sadly salt is still a chemical and not the innocent cuddly one you portray (Just ask any slug)).

All the while ignoring any pertinant or relavent questions from the masses because you know you are RIGHT.

As for not wanting people to think want you think... PLEEEEEEEASE

lifestyle

That's the problem. I don't think most of this has been a discussion. A few times people have asked you questions that you seemed to ignore, preferring to, again, quote more scientific research that chemicals are bad...
    Whenever questions are asked, i try to answer them with fact (quoting sources) rather than from what "I THINK" isright.

I have visions of you standing in your pulpit, thumping your anti chemical bible preaching to the masses, all the while using petrol ( a pretty bad carcinogen) and spraying salt all over the place with wanton abandon (sorry bit sarcastic but sadly salt is still a chemical and not the innocent cuddly one you portray (Just ask any slug)).
    I dontate to varying causes like David Suzuki and other similar places to offset the emissions i use in my vehicle and machinery. In fact i would probably be carbon negative.

I rarely use salt as i mentioned earlier in this thread. I would use less than 500gs of salt in a week and half of that would probably be on my own property.

Salt (Sodium) is a Mineral found naturally in the environment and needed in the body in small amounts.

I know you don'y like me posting links or sources of information but...
    http://www.sparknotes.com/health/min...section2.rhtml

I found this an interesting article on sodium.

All the while ignoring any pertinant or relavent questions from the masses because you know you are RIGHT.
    Direct me in the direction of questions i have not answered. But don't expect me to answer anything without researching it first and quoting my sources.

As for not wanting people to think want you think... PLEEEEEEEASE
    Of course i'd like more people to think Organic and Chemical Free, i'm saying people in the industry won't because its their livlihood. Like Lawnies, Pesties, Seed production etc. I'm also saying that those in the industry will always argue the fact for the sake of their livlihood.

Well done on offsetting your carbon footprint. Global warming is a serious issue however not what we are talking about. I said petrol is a carcinogen, a GENE MUTATOR! But you still use it... despite bashing on about how we all have no conscience as we know glyphosate is poisonous but we still use it.

Hold on ...could it be that using a push mower and a horse drawn cart would be expensive and impractical. Are you waiting for an inexpensive and viable alternative??? A phrase which many lawnies have used about chemical sprays and you have vigorously shouted down!

One of the main questions you skirted around was why are you trying for more children when you knowingly have mutated dna? Wouldn't it be better (and without being rude, which I don't mean to be) and less selfish to your child and the strain on the already stressed health system to adopt as there are many children out there already who need the love of good parents.

Now I'm not saying that salt is not a safer alternative to glyphosate, that would be stupid. But you think 0.5kg of salt in the soil is not much? It sounds a lot to me, especially when australia is battling soil salinity problems. By the way salt kills in enough amounts. High blood pressure and heart disease one of our biggest killers is mostly down to a high salt diet.

lifestyle

Well done on offsetting your carbon footprint. Global warming is a serious issue however not what we are talking about. I said petrol is a carcinogen, a GENE MUTATOR! But you still use it... despite bashing on about how we all have no conscience as we know glyphosate is poisonous but we still use it.
    The biggest concern with petrol is lead. Since lead is no longer added to fuel it is not as big a concern as in previous years.

Hold on ...could it be that using a push mower and a horse drawn cart would be expensive and impractical. Are you waiting for an inexpensive and viable alternative??? A phrase which many lawnies have used about chemical sprays and you have vigorously shouted down!
    What on earth do you mean by that ?

One of the main questions you skirted around was why are you trying for more children when you knowingly have mutated dna? Wouldn't it be better (and without being rude, which I don't mean to be) and less selfish to your child and the strain on the already stressed health system to adopt as there are many children out there already who need the love of good parents.
    Genes are altered AT CONEPTION - hence still in the womb. If i could alter my genes, there would be potential for science to alter and replace genes of those with deletions or mutations. While Science may be heading in that direction it is not yet an option.
    However, If i (or my wife) have a toxic load in my (her) body at the time of conception that load could be present in sperm (or ovum). i.e. If i was exposed to Kamba M in the weeks prior to conception.

Genes and DNA are not the same thing...

http://www.pa.msu.edu/sciencet/ask_st/060293.html

Just in case you weren't aware, sperm is removed from the body on a regular basis and replaced with new sperm which has developed. If that new sperm is developed in a body that is free of toxins it is generally healthy and active.

In some cases chemical exposure might cause hormones to act in specific ways that stop sperm (or ovum) from doing what they were meant to do. Reduced motality for example. This can prevent sperm from reaching its destination, hence chemical exposure can cause infertility even though sperm is healthy.

Sometimes medication is required to set hormones on the right path to increase motality. This doesn't mean the sperm is damaged it just needs help to move.

If i hadn't been tested to make sure i was healthy, i wouldn't even consider having more kids.

I have answered that question before. What makes you say i have skirted it.

Now I'm not saying that salt is not a safer alternative to glyphosate, that would be stupid. But you think 0.5kg of salt in the soil is not much? It sounds a lot to me, especially when australia is battling soil salinity problems. By the way salt kills in enough amounts. High blood pressure and heart disease one of our biggest killers is mostly down to a high salt diet.
    Deforestation is the biggest concern with salinity in Australia. Cut the trees down, the salt table rises and kills off more than just weeds in the cracks of paths. I have NEVER said to use salt in any area where vegetation is required now or in the future. Fence lines, crackes in concrete and pavers isthe only places i recommend salt be used in SMALL amounts. With the exception of flat weed in a lawn where there is only a handful of problem plants. Even then i recommend pulling them out first and treating the exposed are with a pinch of salt to prevent the plant returning.

Genes are altered AT CONEPTION - hence still in the womb...

Just in case you weren't aware, sperm is removed from the body on a regular basis and replaced with new sperm which has developed. If that new sperm is developed in a body that is free of toxins it is generally healthy and active.
    Whilst genes can be altered at conception (thru chemical exposure), it is not true that this is the only time cells with altered genes are an issue.

A bit like a round cake tin - produces round cakes. Put a dint in the tin, then all future cakes produced are flawed.
    I alluded to this before - you body has been damaged by past exposure. Altho currently chemical intereference may not be an issue for you, you readily admid your body is damaged - including your reproductive system.

Altho sperm may be replaced regularly, replaced by what - by damaged repoductive tissues.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Your research has let you down eric... even without lead many of the hydrocarbons that naturally occur in gasoline (aromatic benzene for one) are well known carcinogens.

But you still use it as it would be impractical for you not to (hence my quip about the horse and cart and pushmower)

After being tested I am glad you have been given the all clear, so I apologize for that question as I wasn't informed enough to presume otherwise. So good luck to you and your wife on having another child

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree about salt.

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    Whilst genes can be altered at conception (thru chemical exposure), it is not true that this is the only time cells with altered genes are an issue.

A bit like a round cake tin - produces round cakes. Put a dint in the tin, then all future cakes produced are flawed.
    I alluded to this before - you body has been damaged by past exposure. Altho currently chemical intereference may not be an issue for you, you readily admid your body is damaged - including your reproductive system.

Altho sperm may be replaced regularly, replaced by what - by damaged repoductive tissues.
    No, as i said above, and you obviously read over... my sperm are healthy (check my last post above), but my pituitory is producing too much prolactin for which i am now on medication for. I am forced now to make a "reactive approach" to fix a problem which may well have been from previous chemical exposure.

lifestyle

Your research has let you down eric... even without lead many of the hydrocarbons that naturally occur in gasoline (aromatic benzene for one) are well known carcinogens.
    I didn't say it was the ONLY problem i said the main concern... I am fully aware of the chemicals in Petrol... Hydrocarbons like toluene and benzene which are what makes sniffers high.

I also said lead was no longer added to fuel, i didn't say it wasn't still present in small amounts.

And i agree, petrol contains potent carcinogenic chemicals and exposure should be avoided. However fuels purpose is to power machinery. It is contained within containers / tanks and not blatently spread around the environment unless through accidental spills.

Cars and machinery can not work without fuel, but weeds can be pulled or removed by suppression, mulching or other natural means.

(hence my quip about the horse and cart and pushmower)
    Thank you for the further explanation.

After being tested I am glad you have been given the all clear, so I apologize for that question as I wasn't informed enough to presume otherwise. So good luck to you and your wife on having another child
    I tried to explain without my personal and health issues coming into it. Would you be prepared to lay your life and personal story on the table for a cause you felt as passionate about as i do ?

Talking Re: Glyphosate cocktails

...my pituitory is producing too much prolactin for which i am now on medication for. I am forced now to make a "reactive approach" to fix a problem which may well have been from previous chemical exposure.
    So result of too much chemical is too much chemical - the solution is - more chemicals
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

lifestyle

Default Re: Glyphosate cocktails

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    So result of too much chemical is too much chemical - the solution is - more chemicals
    Ahhhhh he's finally got it...

Don't use chemicals in the first place don't need chemicals to fix the problems associated with their use.

Reactive verses Proactive.

Gawd you lot waffle on!

I keep seeing new posts in here but mostly is not worth the read.

Thanks for the info Lifestyle, definately food for thought but I can't honetly say that I am 100% convinced either.

There are many many things in both natural and man-made that if note used with due care and caution are dangerous to health and wellbeing. I can't see too many here being blaze about the use of chemicals...nobody here is stupid or irresponsible.

You do what works for you and others will do what works for them whilst taking (I'm sure) due caution.

My late mother (who I considered to be an extremely wise woman) always said "all things as appropriate and in moderation"

I am sorry that this thread has invaded your private life (I for one don't need to know any more about your reproductive system). I am also sorry that it's been taken off track by some who clearly disagree strongly with your approach - as is their right but it's very easy to avoid - just don't open the thread if it makes you that irate!!!
    ~ Joanne ~

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS
    Gawd you lot waffle on!

I keep seeing new posts in here but mostly is not worth the read.

Thanks for the info Lifestyle, definately food for thought but I can't honetly say that I am 100% convinced either.

There are many many things in both natural and man-made that if note used with due care and caution are dangerous to health and wellbeing. I can't see too many here being blaze about the use of chemicals...nobody here is stupid or irresponsible.

You do what works for you and others will do what works for them whilst taking (I'm sure) due caution.

My late mother (who I considered to be an extremely wise woman) always said "all things as appropriate and in moderation"

I am sorry that this thread has invaded your private life (I for one don't need to know any more about your reproductive system). I am also sorry that it's been taken off track by some who clearly disagree strongly with your approach - as is their right but it's very easy to avoid - just don't open the thread if it makes you that irate!!!
    Very true. Your Mother passed much wisdom onto you.

The way i look at chemical use is, If i have to put safety gear on to use it then its too toxic and not worth the risk - to me or those in the environment in which i'm spraying it.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast