Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS
    I am also sorry that it's been taken off track by some who clearly disagree strongly with your approach - as is their right but it's very easy to avoid - just don't open the thread if it makes you that irate!!!

Mrs.Hms, I have been impressed with every post you have made, no mistake on that.

But if something makes us feel strongly (not sure it's made me irate) and we just ignore it, how does that promote the cut and thrust of debate that eric so craves?

Without that cut and thrust surely we all become sheep that follow the herds.

As for erics personal life, surely he brought it into the public forum for any to debate. Like he said he feels so strongly about the subject of debate that it was his choice to share it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandhead
    But if something makes us feel strongly (not sure it's made me irate) and we just ignore it, how does that promote the cut and thrust of debate that eric so craves?
    Don't get me wrong Islandhead, it's not genuine debate I refer to but rather pointless jibes and insults that do absolutely nothing to strengthen the debate.

I love to see the arguements for and against, namecalling and snide remarks just detract from any point that someone may be trying to make. I meant that if you've gotten to the point that you can only contribute jibes etc then maybe it's time to assess if you should even open the thread anymore, let alone post.

On that note, keep the genuine questions, opinions and thoughts coming, I'm really enjoying this!
    ~ Joanne ~

Default Re: Glyphosate and salt in moderation

Quote Originally Posted by lifestyle
    I only recommend using SMALL amounts of salt in areas where PERMANENT removal is required. Paths, fence lines etc. I NEVER use or recommend salt in Garden Beds or where regrowth is required at a later date.
    By same reasoning, would you consider SMALL amounts of glyphosate where PERMANENT removal is required is a reasonable concession?
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    By same reasoning, would you consider SMALL amounts of glyphosate where PERMANENT removal is required is a reasonable concession?
    Salt is a required mineral in our bodies. We can swim in it, use it in our cooking to increase flavour and as a food preservative.

Glyphosate is not a mineral required for human life. Its not common in our daily activities (we don't swim in it and we don't require it for cooking or preserving).

If its safe enough to eat then its safe enough to use. Thats my philosophy.

Thank you for being cordial and keeping the topic on track.

lifestyle

... I have also found salt to be more permanent because it drives bacteria and organisms (worms etc) to other parts of the soil where they can be of more use than under a slab of concrete. When bacteria leave the soil the soil is less likely to support life and weeds don't come back.

That doesn't make salt stronger than glyphosate, it just means them work in different ways.

One or 2 small applications per year of salt because even seeds present or wind blown are not likely to emerge quickly.

Glyphosate would need repeated applications to remove weeds from seeds already in the soil brought in by birds, wind etc,

... I have also found salt to be more permanent because it drives bacteria and organisms (worms etc) to other parts of the soil where they can be of more use than under a slab of concrete. When bacteria leave the soil the soil is less likely to support life and weeds don't come back.

That doesn't make salt stronger than glyphosate, it just means them work in different ways.

One or 2 small applications per year of salt because even seeds present or wind blown are not likely to emerge quickly.

Glyphosate would need repeated applications to remove weeds from seeds already in the soil brought in by birds, wind etc,
    seeds brought in by mowers
    geejay

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by geejay
    seeds brought in by mowers
    Yeah that too...

My Doctors says too much salt is not good for me . It should apparently be in balance with other things especially potassium I wonder what would happen if everyone started using salt just a little at first (just like glypho when it 1st came on the scene) then everyone just started using kilos of the stuff

Here's what too much salt can do to you...especially when the sodium and potassium balance is out of whack..

http://healthyrevelations.com/articl...ersofsalt.aspx

http://www.internethealthlibrary.com...r-research.htm

hmmm so it seems that it's not as safe as one might think....as I said before, use all things with due caution and in moderation.
    ~ Joanne ~

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK BEAR
    My Doctors says too much salt is not good for me . It should apparently be in balance with other things especially potassium I wonder what would happen if everyone started using salt just a little at first (just like glypho when it 1st came on the scene) then everyone just started using kilos of the stuff
    Spot on!

I can remember an article once that said anyone consuming salt in any form should include a banana in their diet every day.

I agree with you totally with the potential to overdose with salt. One of the reasons i never use salt in garden beds etc.

Salt is as i have said many times an option for use in small amounts in small areas like on paved courtyards a cracks in paths etc. The topic of it has probably been over discussed in that i only mentioned it to say there is an option where small amounts are required.

Yes, salt is bad for us when consumed beyond what our body needs, if it were totally healthy it would probably be of no use in eliminating small pockets of weeds

The article below that Mrs, referred to said the UK governement has recommended a reduction in salt from 9grams per day to 6 grams, I also give mention to its discussion on large amounts of salt in our diet causing stomach cancer.

But despite that, We DO need small amounts of sodium in our diets.

I have not yet found a source that says we need small amounts of glyphosate in our diets.

Plants however don't need sodium which is why plants shrivel up when in contact with it even in the smallest of doses.

lifestyle

Here's what too much salt can do to you...especially when the sodium and potassium balance is out of whack..

http://healthyrevelations.com/articl...ersofsalt.aspx

http://www.internethealthlibrary.com...r-research.htm

hmmm so it seems that it's not as safe as one might think....as I said before, use all things with due caution and in moderation.
    Nope, not safe, i've never said large amounts of salt in the diet were safe. But we DO need small amounts in our diet. And use, balance in all things natural.

WHAT IF??? everyone who uses it in moderation in their gardens start to spread the word of the wonders of salt for weeds etc. and millions of others uses it (just like glypho) and everyone starts using a teeny weeny little bitty more (just like their diets) Wonder what happens then Maybe there will be an imbalance in the soil-not as nature intended WHAT IF???

That's exactly what I said, about 900 pages ago in this thread.

What if....soil salinity increases, ground water salinity increases, plants and animals die off.....

I'm not saying chemicals aren't dangerous but things found naturally (like salt) can also have far reaching consequences if used incorrectly.
    ~ Joanne ~

lifestyle

That's exactly what I said, about 900 pages ago in this thread.

What if....soil salinity increases, ground water salinity increases, plants and animals die off.....

I'm not saying chemicals aren't dangerous but things found naturally (like salt) can also have far reaching consequences if used incorrectly.
    If salt was used in excess our homes would start to look like deserts. I think intelligence would dictate its long term effects when used in excess.

Again, the focus is on salt and not the effects of glyphosate. If someone uses salt in excess to the point their home looks like a desert, they probably should live in the desert.

Unhappy Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

...because nothing changes if nothing changes.
    This thread has ceased being a useful discussion/debate but inanely goes around in circles.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast