Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    This thread has ceased being a useful discussion/debate but inanely goes around in circles.
    I agree, no parties are listening to what the other is saying (including me unfortunatley)... salt is bad, gyphosate is bad, closed ears are bad

Quote Originally Posted by lifestyle
    I think intelligence would dictate its long term effects when used in excess.
    That assumes that all the backyard warriors who grab the table salt out of their cupboards to sprinkle on the dandelions have any reliable idea about what consitutes excess....and assumes that they don't think that if a little bit works then a bit more will work even better.

That assumes that they stop and think about where exactly they are using it, where rainwater runoff goes from the area of treatment etc.

That assumes that they don't think...wow it works well on the weeds between my pavers, why don't I try it on that pesky bindii in the lawn?

There are a lot of assumptions and we are posing a hypothetical.

Just as you think most of us refuse to acknowledge the dangers of round-up, methinks you refuse to acknowledge the potential dangers of the method you put forward as a viable alternative.
    ~ Joanne ~

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK BEAR
    WHAT IF??? everyone who uses it in moderation in their gardens start to spread the word of the wonders of salt for weeds etc. and millions of others uses it (just like glypho) and everyone starts using a teeny weeny little bitty more (just like their diets) Wonder what happens then Maybe there will be an imbalance in the soil-not as nature intended WHAT IF???
    Salt was mentioned because some folk feel there is a need for an "alternative". I had never used salt myself until i saw one of my customers using it on flatweed a couple of years ago. They also told me that sawdust around vegetables and annuals would prevent snails and slugs without using snail pellets. I had used the old beer in a bowl method until then.

Supression works best for weeds in garden beds. Use newspapers under mulch in annual beds and plastic or weedmat in beds with shrubs or trees - Put new newspaper over old mulch when replanting annual beds. Add new mulch over old mulch every 6 months on tree beds, hand pulling the few weeds that emerge. If required pull mulch back from where weeds came through and add a repair patch of plastic.

Place a split pot around the base of trees and use the whipper snipper to trim around instead of spraying.

Whipper snip fence lines instead of spraying (if need be ad a tiny sprinkle of salt in the gaps between overlapped pailings - where the whippersnipper won't reach, also handy in the gaps of interlock wall blocks).

Add lawn clippings and shredded leaves and branches over beds to build up organic matter. This will make any hand pulling easier and help retain moisture.

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS
    Just as you think most of us refuse to acknowledge the dangers of round-up, methinks you refuse to acknowledge the potential dangers of the method you put forward as a viable alternative.
    I fully acknowledge the effects of salt. But again, salt is available for human consumption... glyphosate is not.

In most (not all) cases, if its safe enough to eat, then i'll use it on the garden.

Anyone for a Kamba M Milk shake ?

Perhaps next time you order a ham you should see if they can use glyphosate to cure it ?

I apologise for the sarcasm, but i am repeating the same thing to the same questions.

I fully acknowledge the effects of salt. But again, salt is available for human consumption... glyphosate is not.

In most (not all) cases, if its safe enough to eat, then i'll use it on the garden.

Anyone for a Kamba M Milk shake ?

Perhaps next time you order a ham you should see if they can use glyphosate to cure it ?

I apologise for the sarcasm, but i am repeating the same thing to the same questions.
    no one is saying that gyphosate tastes nice... i know you think we are but we aren't stupid.

We are just saying salt poses a danger as well, simple as that.

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Islandhead
    no one is saying that gyphosate tastes nice... i know you think we are but we aren't stupid.

We are just saying salt poses a danger as well, simple as that.
    Compared to synthetic chemicals used as pesticides, herbicides and fungicides you say salt poses a danger as well ?

Default Re: Glyphosate, salt and interest levels

Poll http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2637

a. two or more heads
    b. glyphosate and other evil chemicals
    c. organics and Eric's reproductive system

Early polling indicates that whilst most have heard enough on these subjects, there are still a few interested in discussing glyphosate and other evil chemicals.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

No, I know synthetic chemicals pose a danger.

So not comparing salt to anything other than salt itself, I'm saying that salt poses it's own dangers.

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    I love this forum - it's a great place to interact and exchange ideas, views, solutions and experiences
    This thread developed into one of the all time best, but the last 50% of it??? Shame, shame, shame...

7 days - 219 posts!
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

most humans are lazy and like a pack of sheep. with the pressures of modern day society they generally find a way to abuse/misuse many things either natural or man made. Sometimes we just gotta stop and think instead of "go with the flow" That is what this topic is all about

read all your food labels as well as work out what all the codes are and we are all eating more chemicals than you think

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK BEAR
    most humans are lazy and like a pack of sheep. with the pressures of modern day society they generally find a way to abuse/misuse many things either natural or man made. Sometimes we just gotta stop and think instead of "go with the flow" That is what this topic is all about

read all your food labels as well as work out what all the codes are and we are all eating more chemicals than you think
    Oh mate, don't get me started on the "numbers" in our food products... Artificial colours on their own have caused ADD, ADHD, Autism and associated disorders in kids.

The UK has banned "211" from coke and other soft drinks due to its negative health risks.

If this wasn't a lawn mowing forum, i'd definitely have a lot here saying "here we go again"

lifestyle

quoted from a post of glassngrass in a thread i can't find.

Number of posts leader board:
    Admin 1,485
    lifestyle 601 (and rising rapidly)
    geejay 556
    hustler 298
    hairyscarie 269
    Where do you find these statistics ?

It feels like we've heard and entire lifetime of your (Eric's) banter in this last week. Don't you ever stop - please!
    I'm just getting started

You don't need to comment on everything.
    Either do you

You don't need to play the moral superior all the time
    Nope, I don't. But i don't remember there even being an Organic Forum before I arrived.

You don't need to constantly be at the centre of attention (unless you are indeed Narcissitic)
    If you think i am at the center of attention then i have failed. Glyphosate is what this thread was about and thats what i am pushing as the centre of attention.

Free speech doesn't necessarily mean speaking non-stop!
    You keep answering the thread, i'm only answering the points people raise or questions they ask

Free speech is a wonderful thing - so is peace, and silence is golden too!
    So is a Toxin free environment

Artificial colours on their own have caused ADD, ADHD, Autism and associated disorders in kids.
    Oh Man, Eric, this time you have outdone yourself!!!

My wife is a doctor, who actually does proper research, rather than trawling the internet.

Nobody knows what causes the above disorders, there are many possible theories ranging from viral, immunization, genetic, environmental and nurture issues.

Your statement proves to me that you are so blinded by hate of chemicals, safe in your sanctimonious, holier than thou organic castle that there really is no point debating with you.

Good luck man, Islandhead signing out

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Islandhead
    Oh Man, Eric, this time you have outdone yourself!!!

My wife is a doctor, who actually does proper research, rather than trawling the internet.

Nobody knows what causes the above disorders, there are many possible theories ranging from viral, immunization, genetic, environmental and nurture issues.

Your statement proves to me that you are so blinded by hate of chemicals, safe in your sanctimonious, holier than thou organic castle that there really is no point debating with you.

Good luck man, Islandhead signing out
    Not my words, currently looking for the link to the tv show it was on... ABC i think about 6 weeks ago.

God, why do I bite... but once more.

I don't really care Eric. Look up as many spurious internet pages as you want. Watch as many 'factual' tv shows at you want.

Swallow it all man, lap up every piece of bad info about chemicals as you want... you love it, and believe it all.

Once again... good luck

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast