Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Default Re: Glyphosate, and the X-Files

Eric
    Since you like research, thought you might appreciate some more trustworthy sites to quote from.

www.threeworldwars.com/f/conspiracy-forum.htm
    www.abovetopsecret.com/forum
    www.conspiracy-forums.com

The masses may never believe - we are too small minded and blind!

At least you (and a hand full of the elite) are priviledged to have your eyes and minds opened to the truth.

The truth - is out there!
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

lifestyle

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

lifestyle

Default Re: Glyphosate, and the X-Files

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    Eric
    Since you like research, thought you might appreciate some more trustworthy sites to quote from.

www.threeworldwars.com/f/conspiracy-forum.htm
    www.abovetopsecret.com/forum
    www.conspiracy-forums.com

The masses may never believe - we are too small minded and blind!

At least you (and a hand full of the elite) are priviledged to have your eyes and minds opened to the truth.

The truth - is out there!

Eric, I don't need convincing.

The most annoying thing about all this is that I agree with most of your life philosiphy. I worked in an organic nursery for a number of years, growing many delicious veggies from seed, picking, packing and delivering to the local neighbourhood. I try to live my life as organically as possible.

The issue I have is the way you act, as I said before you are very sanctimonious and holier than thou, not listening to anyones non organic opinion.

As for your research, I would rather trust proper scientific study than youtube and ABC television.

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Islandhead
    Eric, I don't need convincing.

The most annoying thing about all this is that I agree with most of your life philosiphy. I worked in an organic nursery for a number of years, growing many delicious veggies from seed, picking, packing and delivering to the local neighbourhood. I try to live my life as organically as possible.

The issue I have is the way you act, as I said before you are very sanctimonious and holier than thou, not listening to anyones non organic opinion.

As for your research, I would rather trust proper scientific study than youtube and ABC television.
    I know its a long thread but go back through it, you will find i have only replied to statements posed or questions asked. I'm not going to make my belief for the subject look weak by giving in to the pressures of those with a different opinion.

"Keep pushing him, he'll give up..." may well be the opinion of some or many taking part in this discussion, or it may not, but either way, if you don't want me to keep going on with the subject, stop replying...

lifestyle

TORONTO (IPS/GIN) - U.S.-funded aerial sprayings of coca plantations in Colombia near the Ecuador border has severely damaged the DNA of local residents, according to a new study.

Blood samples from 24 Ecuadorians living within 2 miles of the northern border had between 600 percent and 800 percent more damage to their chromosomes than people living 50 miles away, found scientists from the Pontificia Catholic University in Quito, Ecuador.

The border residents who were tested had been exposed to the common herbicide glyphosate—sold by the U.S. agribusiness giant Monsanto under the brand Roundup—during a series of aerial sprayings by the Colombian government begun in 2000. The sprayings were part of “Plan Colombia,” an anti-drug and counterinsurgency program financed by Washington.

The Ecuadorians suffered a variety of ailments immediately following the spraying, including intestinal pain and vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, dizziness, numbness, burning eyes and skin, blurred vision, difficulty in breathing and rashes, according to the study, which is to be published in the journal Genetics and Molecular Biology.

But the extensive damage to DNA found in the randomly selected individuals may activate the development of cancer or other developmental effects resulting in miscarriages, according to lead researcher César Paz y Miño, head of human molecular genetics at the Catholic University of Ecuador.

In general, everyone has some level of DNA damage due to exposure to ultraviolet radiation, air pollution, toxic chemicals and other factors. However, none of the 24 randomly selected individuals used tobacco, alcohol or nonprescription drugs, nor did they use other herbicides or pesticides that could have caused the extensive DNA damage observed, Mr. Paz y Miño told Tierramérica.

The concentration levels of Roundup were measured at more than 20 times the maximum recommended rate and may be the reason behind the adverse effect on the exposed individuals, he said. The effect was classified as “genotoxic,” which means it is capable of causing genetic mutation.

The blood samples were collected by Spanish doctor Adolfo Maldonado of the nongovernmental group Acción Ecológica, which since the beginning of this decade has been studying health, economic and social problems of Ecuadorian populations affected by the aerial herbicide spraying in neighboring Colombia.

Since 2000 Washington has been financing the aerial spraying in Colombia of coca crops, which provide the raw materials for cocaine, of which Colombia is the world’s leading producer. In the past three years the U.S. government has spent more than $1.3 billion to combat the drug trade.

In 2006, the Colombian National Police’s Anti-Narcotics Directorate sprayed 171,613 hectares of illicit coca and opium poppy, according to a March 2007 International Narcotics Control Strategy Report released by the U.S. State Department.

The extent of aerial spraying has increased every year since 2000, with 24 percent more in 2006 than 2005.

Three aerial spraying units, funded and operated by the United States, work full-time in Colombia, and a fourth unit was added in 2006, the report notes.

Aerial spraying “follows strict environmental safeguards, monitored permanently by several [Columbian] agencies,” it said.

As for impacts on health, “the Colombian National Institute of Health has not verified a single case of adverse human health effects linked to glyphosate spraying,” states the report.

Mr. Paz y Miño disputes that assertion. In addition to his own study, there are studies from the University of the Andes and from the National University of Colombia that also “report the damage that the aerial sprayings produces in Colombians,” he said.

In fact, since 1994 there have been many studies that show potential health impacts of Roundup on people and wildlife, he said.

Roundup is a mixture of glyphosate and other chemicals designed to increase the herbicide’s penetration into plants or boost its toxic effects.

But only glyphosate—the active ingredient—has been fully tested by U.S. regulators for its health and environmental effects.

In 2005, a team of French scientists headed by Gilles-Eric Seralin reported that Roundup was toxic to human placental cells within hours of exposure, at levels 10 times lower than those found in agricultural use.

Recently, Mr. Seralin reported new findings which show that even diluted 10,000 times, the chemical disrupted hormone production in placental cells.

“This work may be of help in better understating the problems of miscarriages, premature births or ***ual malformations of babies,” Mr. Seralin said in a statement.

In April of this year, DNA damage was also documented by Turkish scientists at Mersin University. The DNA of fish was damaged even at extremely low levels of five to 15 parts per million of Roundup.

“There is no doubt that the spraying program is killing amphibians in Colombia,” said Rick Relyea, a biologist at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.

In 2005, Mr. Relyea documented that Roundup was lethal to frogs. More than 90 percent of the tadpoles exposed to small doses were killed by a chemical called polyethoxylated tallowamine, which is part of normal Roundup formulation. The chemical allows glyphosate to penetrate plant leaves.

Experiments with frogs in the United States showed that “more than 80 percent of the adults exposed to Roundup spray at normal rates died in a day.” There is no data about the impacts of the spraying of Colombian frogs and amphibians.

Those findings prompted the U.S. Congress to obtain guarantees in 2006 that wetlands would not be sprayed in Colombia, Mr. Relyea told Tierramérica.

However, most frogs live in small wetlands that aren’t easily detected from the air and many species in the region are found in trees and grasslands, he said.

As Roundup is the most widely used herbicide in the world, it may be a factor the dramatic global decline in frogs, but there is no firm proof, Mr. Relyea said.

But there is ample proof of the effects of aerial spraying along the Ecuadorian border, Mr. Paz y Miño said.

Destruction of legal crops, death of domestic animals and fish in hatcheries, and adverse impacts on human health have all been documented, he said.

His research group is finishing a new set of studies on the effects of glyphosate, alone and with polyethoxylated tallowamine, on insects and in vitro cultured human cells, he said. “I could tell you, in advance, that we have found damage in these.”

lifestyle

lifestyle

Source: http://www.naturescountrystore.com/roundup/index.html

Called the wonder herbicide, RoundUp is one of the top-selling herbicides. Made by Monsanto, it is now used on plants that have been genetically engineered to tolerate RoundUp without dying.

This means:

Higher residues of RoundUp in our food chain

Over 90 percent of soy and canola in our food chain are 'RoundUp Ready' genetically engineered to withstand large quantities of RoundUp

Increased RoundUp usage by farmers

More danger to the public

RoundUp Herbicide has been touted by its maker, Monsanto, as safe and environmentally friendly. As such, it has become the most popular herbicide in use today. Advertising by Monsanto has led the public to believe that RoundUp is "safe as table salt," a phrase used quite often by its proponents to describe it.

Studies used for RoundUp's initial registration were fraudulent. There is no indication that these studies have been replaced with other, more valid, studies. The public perception of RoundUp as safe, environmentally friendly, and no more harmful than table salt has impeded the normal scientific study to which a pesticide would normally be subjected. Research grants have been concentrated in the areas of pesticides perceived to be more detrimental to humans.

New York State's Attorney General has sued Monsanto for claiming that RoundUp is "safe" and "environmentally friendly." This suit ended in a settlement with Monsanto in which Monsanto agreed to cease and desist from using these terms in advertising RoundUp in the state of New York. Monsanto, while not admitting any wrongdoing, paid the state of New York $250,000 in settlement of this suit. When Monsanto violated the first settlement agreement by advertising within New York that RoundUp is "safe," a second agreement was negotiated.

Most of the studies identifying RoundUp's true toxicity are recent, and certain areas of RoundUp's toxicity have yet to be thoroughly studied. Case law involving RoundUp victims is almost non-existent due to this lack of scientific information with which to prove causation.

It is for these reasons that it is important to also look to anecdotal information about RoundUp's toxicity to humans in order to develop a full picture of the symptomology it causes.

lifestyle

Source: http://www.naturescountrystore.com/roundup/page8.html

RoundUp--Lymphoma Connection

PRESS RELEASE - 22 JUNE - New Study Links Monsanto's Roundup to Cancer

A recent study by eminent oncologists Dr. Lennart Hardell and Dr. Mikael Eriksson of Sweden [1], has revealed clear links between one of the world's biggest selling herbicide, glyphosate, to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a form of cancer [2].

In the study published in the 15 March 1999 Journal of American Cancer Society, the researchers also maintain that exposure to glyphosate 'yielded increased risks for NHL.' They stress that with the rapidly increasing use of glyphosate since the time the study was carried out, 'glyphosate deserves further epidemiologic studies.'

Glyphosate, commonly known as Roundup, is the world's most widely used herbicide. It is estimated that for 1998, over a 112,000 tonnes of glyphosate was used world-wide. It
    indiscriminately kills off a wide variety of weeds after application and is primarily used to control annual and perennial plants.

71% of genetically engineered crops planted in 1998 are designed to be resistant to herbicides such as glyphosate, marketed by Monsanto as Roundup. Companies developing herbicide resistant crops are also increasing their production capacity for the herbicides such as glyphosate, and also requesting permits for higher residues of these chemicals in genetically engineered food. For example, Monsanto have already received permits for a threefold increase in herbicide residues on genetically engineered soybeans in Europe and the U.S., up from 6 parts per million (PPM) to 20 PPM.

According to Sadhbh O' Neill of Genetic Concern, 'this study reinforces concerns by environmentalists and health professionals that far from reducing herbicide use, glyphosate resistant crops may result in increased residues to which we as consumers will be exposed in our food.'

'Increased residues of glyphosate and its metabolites are already on sale via genetically engineered soya, common in processed foods. However no studies of the effects of GE soya sprayed with Roundup on health have been carried out either on animals or humans to date,' she continued.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) statistics from 1997 show that expanded plantings of Roundup Ready soybeans (i.e. soybeans genetically engineered to be tolerant to the herbicide) resulted in a 72% increase in the use of glyphosate. According to the Pesticides Action Network, scientists estimate that plants genetically engineered to be herbicide resistant will actually triple the amount of herbicides used. Farmers, knowing that their crop can tolerate or resist being killed off by the herbicides, will tend to use them more liberally.

O' Neill concluded: 'The EPA when authorising Monsanto's field trials for Roundup-ready sugar beet did not consider the issue of glyphosate. They considered this to be the remit of the Pesticides Control Service of the Department of Agriculture. Thus nobody has included the effects of increasing the use of glyphosate in the risk/benefit analysis carried out. It is yet another example of how regulatory authorities supposedly protecting public health have failed to implement the 'precautionary principle' with respect to GMOs.'

ENDS

Further information: Sadhbh O' Neill at 01-4760360 or 087-2258599 or
    (home) 01-6774052

Notes

[1] Lennart Hardell, M.D., PhD. Department of Oncology, Orebro Medical Centre, Orebro, Sweden and Miikael Eriksson, M.D., PhD, Department of Oncology, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden, 'A Case-Control Study of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Exposure to Pesticides', Cancer, March 15, 1999/ Volume 85/ Number 6.

The findings are based on a population-based case-control study conducted in Sweden between 1987 - 1990. The necessary data was ascertained by a series of comprehensive questionnaires and follow-up telephone interviews. Dr. Hardell and Dr. Eriksson found that 'exposure to herbicides and fungicides resulted in significantly increased risks for NHL'.

[2] Lymphoma is a form of cancer that afflicts the lymphatic system. It can occur at virtually any part of the body but the initial symptoms are usually seen as swellings around the lymph nodes at the base of the neck. There are basically two main kinds of lymphoma, i.e. Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

The incidence of NHL has increased rapidly in most Western countries over the last few decades. According to the American Cancer Society, there has been an alarming 80% increase in incidences of NHL since the early 1970's.

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for two-faced kitten (one head!)

Two-faced kitten born - 20 November 2008

A two-headed kitten born in Midvale, near Perth, yesterday has left local vets baffled.
    The kitten's mother was taken to the Swan Veterinary Clinic after suffering complications while in labour.
    Community Newspapers photographer Matthew Poon happened to be at the vets for an unrelated visit and snapped the amazing images of the kitten.
    There were three kittens born in the litter, but just one was left with such a unique deformity.
    The kitten eats out of just one mouth because of a cleft palate, but both mouths meow simultaneously.
    Louisa Burgess, a veterinary nurse who helped deliver the kitten, told InMyCommunity.com.au that she had never seen such an unusual animal in her 12-year career.
    "I have seen cats with two tails and extra legs, but not this,” she said.
    Ms Burgess said the cat appeared healthy, but it would be closely monitored over the next few days.
    “It has a full tummy and it survived the night so that is a good sign,” she said. “It seems content, it meows and purrs.
    “This is the result of a congenital deformity. Something has gone wrong in the early embryonic development.”

Article found at -> http://ararat.yourguide.com.au/conte...style/1254282/

Interestingly, the tab reads "Lifestyle - Ararat Advertiser"
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

You sure it did not come from tassie

FACT

"Thousands and thousands of acres in the United States are being sprayed
    annually with nearly 50 million pounds of Roundup, a broad-spectrum
    herbicide designed to kill any plant it hits, unless the plant has been
    genetically altered to tolerate the chemical. Roundup has accounted
    for half of Monsanto's corporate profits in recent years."

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Our local council uses the stuff like its going out of fasion.
    A little while ago a customer asked my why I sprayed along the front gutter at her properties frontage. I told her I didn''t and pointed down the street. The council had poisened a 4" strip along the gutter all the way down the street, both sides. Now I look everywhere and its all over the place. Now this does save me ]2 minutes of snippibng but it looks bloody awful. Not surre why they've done it as 90% of people look after that small bit of council land in front of there place. There's a coupla council fellas getting around on 4 wheelers and this is all they do all day.
    Now I am a believer that it has its place and dont object to them using it but when the local council puts ya rates up (big jump this year) and scream poor I get pissed!!! Surely they could use it more wisely. I buy r/up powermax which is up to $400 for 20lts now!!!
    Last edited by administrator; 25-11-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    Cheers, Jason.

If your lawns and garden's have lost their Mojo...
    Call Mowjo Man

I was reflecting on some of the discussions I have enjoyed on the Indi Forum over the years, and this one would have to be right up there.
    If ya got a spare hour, have some fun and a laugh reviewing this thread from the start.
    But it's more than fun - it does get you to think about your own stand with chemical use.
    Enjoy
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I made one boo boo in my pest control days, 1988- 2001, i did not flush my tank properly and the residue left was enough to stuff up the gardens on the next 2-3 jobs, i pleaded WTF?........do not use herbicdes or anything with roundup or glyso, keep it seperate, great chemical, on its own.UOTE=glassngrass;121689]I was reflecting on some of the discussions I have enjoyed on the Indi Forum over the years, and this one would have to be right up there.
    If ya got a spare hour, have some fun and a laugh reviewing this thread from the start.
    But it's more than fun - it does get you to think about your own stand with chemical use.
    Enjoy[/QUOTE]

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast