Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Quote Originally Posted by lifestyle View Post
    I found the report i mentioned in a previous post...

Source: http://www.mcs-global.org/Documents/...20Brochure.doc

ROUNDUP AND THE ENVIRONMENT
    Roundup has been found to be highly deadly to tadpoles when used in recommended concentrations, suggesting a possible cause for the decline in frog species world wide. Glyphosate containing products are acutely toxic to fish and have been shown to kill beneficial insects such as parasitic wasps, ladybirds, lacewings and predatory beetles, and to affect earthworms, beneficial fungi and soil bacteria. Various insects such as butterflies, whose larvae feed on weeds, can be affected by the loss of food sources due to herbicide use. Glyphosate has indirect impacts on birds, which depend on plants for shelter and food, and the insects which feed on them.

Some weeds, such as annual rye grass in Australia, are reported to be developing natural resistance to glyphosate, making the herbicide ineffective.

THE INTERNATIONAL AND LOCAL SITUATION
    In the USA and Canada growing numbers of local government authorities have stopped using herbicides in street maintenance and have even placed local bans and other restrictions on the private use of pesticides and herbicides. Some governments have developed education campaigns on the health problems associated with herbicides. In the USA at least a dozen states have introduced pesticide legislation requiring prior public notification of commercial pesticide and herbicide applications. The Danish government is considering restrictions on Roundup after it was found to be contaminating groundwater used for drinking. The City of Auckland, New Zealand, only uses herbicide when no alternative is available. In Western Australia the Cities of Fremantle and Nedlands have stopped using herbicide routinely in street maintenance due to residents’ health concerns but most local governments in Australia simply ignore the problem.

MORE INFORMATION
    Residents Organising Against Roundup has recently formed in SA and is already active in NSW.
    Glyphosate Fact Sheet Part 1 & 2.

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/R...tsheet-Cox.htm
    Ontario College of Family Physicians Pesticide Review

http://www.ocfp.on.ca/English/OCFP/C...efault.asp?s=1

Our Stolen Future: Exposure early in life to herbicides and pesticides.

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/NewSc...4salametal.htm

BeyondPesticides http://www.beyondpesticides.org/lawn/activist/index.htm

GENERAL SYMPTOMS OF GLYPHOSATE EXPOSURE
    Although glyphosate is considered to be less toxic than most other herbicides, it is still a serious poison.

Acute health problems following unintentional exposure to glyphosate include:

● Eye Irritation
    ● Painful Eyes
    ● Burning Eyes
    ● Blurred Vision
    ● Swollen Eyes, Face And Joints
    ● Blisters
    ● Skin Rash
    ● Rapid Heartbeat
    ● Heart Palpitations
    ● High Blood Pressure
    ● Chest Pains
    ● Coughing
    ● Headache
    ● Nausea
    ● Facial Numbness
    ● Burning Sensation On Skin
    ● Itchy Skin
    ● Tingling Skin
    ● Recurrent Eczema
    ● Fatigue
    ● Breathing Problems

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE GLYPHOSATE WHEN IT IS SPRAYED AROUND OUR STREETS AND HOMES?

Monsanto claims that Roundup “has no residual soil activity” is “completely biodegradable” and “sticks very tightly to the soil”. They also advise that “children and pets should be kept away from the sprayed area until the weeds are completely dry” but that “this is simply to avoid transferring Roundup from the treated weeds onto desirable plants”. But how accurate are these claims?

Glyphosate is considered by independent researchers to be a persistent environmental pollutant. Glyphosate residues have been found in lettuce, carrots and barley planted one year after glyphosate applications. Glyphosate can also evaporate from certain soils, with up to 80% of applied glyphosate evaporating within a two-hour period. The fact that glyphosate is both highly persistent and relatively mobile in soil increases its toxic potential. In addition, glyphosate is always used as a spray and the problem of spray-drift cannot be avoided no matter how carefully it is applied. Glyphosate can be detected in the urine of farm children who were present when it was mixed or sprayed. Due to their small size and immaturity children are at increased risk of damage from herbicides.

People with chemical sensitivity report severe reactions to minor spray-drift and glyphosate residues. Even walking in an area that has been sprayed several days earlier can make some people sick for weeks or months with allergy-type symptoms.

MONSATO’S HISTORY OF DECEPTION
    Laboratories used to assess the safety of glyphosate have been associated with fraudulent practices. In 1991 allegations of falsified data by the US Environment Protection Agency resulted in criminal charges and multi-million dollar fines. In 1996 and 1998 Monsanto was successfully sued by the New York State Attorney General for “false and misleading” advertising regarding the human and environmental safety of Roundup.
    IMG_8788.jpg I am a Steam Weeding contractor and the demand is growing more and more and it works.

There is a process to get chemicals approved in Australia. They do the science for us, the taxpayers. They are called APVMA.

There is a version of Glypho that can be used near waterways.

If I drank a glass of petrol i'd probably die but don't hear anyone wanting to ban petrol (although it might save the planet). If I took a handful of panadol I'd be dead pretty quickly too but I can buy as much panadol as i like.

Each to their own but when in doubt look at the science. Read the label and read the MSDS.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    There is a process to get chemicals approved in Australia. They do the science for us, the taxpayers. They are called APVMA.

There is a version of Glypho that can be used near waterways.

If I drank a glass of petrol i'd probably die but don't hear anyone wanting to ban petrol (although it might save the planet). If I took a handful of panadol I'd be dead pretty quickly too but I can buy as much panadol as i like.

Each to their own but when in doubt look at the science. Read the label and read the MSDS.
    Regarding the science, The world's leading research institute of cancer the World Health Organisation "WHO" have labelled Glyphosate as a probable carcinogen in 2016. Many countries have now banned it and many are reclassifying its labelling. In Regards to the APVMA, They are funded by the companies they approve ie; Monsanto alone counts for more than half of their funding so there is a clear breach of conflict of interest as pointed out in many journals on the subject. Statecover who are the legal insurer of all Australian councils have sent an email to all councils to reconsider the use of Glyphosate in public spaces and sensitive waterways as they are now aware of the possible litigation they may face if they do nothing after the findings of the WHO. Our children in playgrounds are most at risk and they need people to act on the clear science rather than to simply ignore what is now clearly a public and environmental health concern.

Garden Warrior, in advance, if I have misinterpreted your post, my apologies,

BUT my impression is that you have tried 'do a Lazarus' on some old post, which many / most have queried the science of and basically consider it to be emotive BS! You have done this in a thinly veiled way to advertise / promote your business (which might not use Glypho herbicides) here.

These forums have been / are used by members to promote discussion and exchange ideas.
    I for one, would be happy if you take your advertorial emotive postings elsewhere.

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by garden warrior View Post
    IMG_8788.jpg I am a Steam Weeding contractor and the demand is growing more and more and it works.
    do you use a probe and stream the roots or just the leaves ?

mobile phones are killing bees.

geez the last time we had this sh1t fight about this resulted in a few members being banned ..so many old post about it...probably go with jo on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    do you use a probe and stream the roots or just the leaves ?
    hey i thought only wombats only eats roots and leaves

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    geez the last time we had this sh1t fight about this resulted in a few members being banned ..so many old post about it...probably go with jo on this one
    Geoff, thanks for your comment. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Garden Warrior, in advance, if I have misinterpreted your post, my apologies,

BUT my impression is that you have tried 'do a Lazarus' on some old post, which many / most have queried the science of and basically consider it to be emotive BS! You have done this in a thinly veiled way to advertise / promote your business (which might not use Glypho herbicides) here.

These forums have been / are used by members to promote discussion and exchange ideas.
    I for one, would be happy if you take your advertorial emotive postings elsewhere.

Joe.
    Joe, I have commented on a thread that is about alternatives, and Im attacked for showing an alternative that works and is used by many councils within Australia and overseas due to the overwhelming scientific evidence that you seem to ignore and you think I am simply posting advertorial emotive postings ??
    What is this fear you hold about creating a safer environment for us all especially our children who are most at risk ? Glyphosate has been listed as a probable carcinogen by the world's leading scientific cancer research body "The World Health organisation" and yet you believe in your infinite wisdom to call it BS ?
    You're fearmongering should stop as I have a right to offer alternatives to what is widely known as a threat to the health of people and our environment. Every Australian council has received an email to warn them to look at alternatives after the latest findings from the WHO, as they are now concerned about possible future litigation. And by the way My business is busy and thriving and I dont need to sell what I do but I thought it would be useful for others that might be interested in where things are going.

Why go with Joe ? He is dispelling the notion that there could be a viable alternative to Glyphosate ? He is out of touch with what is available and I believe other members might benefit from knowing that there are alternatives.

Hi Macka, I use both a closed hood and an open head nozzle. For instance if I was to steam weed a fenceline I am faster than brushcutting yet the edge is left clean without growth for longer. Im happy to discuss in more detail if you like. Regards Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Macka, I use both a closed hood and an open head nozzle. For instance if I was to steam weed a fenceline I am faster than brushcutting yet the edge is left clean without growth for longer. Im happy to discuss in more detail if you like. Regards Paul

I can see where this will work but we all cant set up like you have GW. Plus access to all area could be a problem for you. Time is money for most of us and we need something that is quick, reliable and easy to use.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by garden warrior View Post
    Why go with Joe ? He is dispelling the notion that there could be a viable alternative to Glyphosate ? He is out of touch with what is available and I believe other members might benefit from knowing that there are alternatives.
    Garden Warrior,
    You have completely missed my point.

I am not against steam weeding, flame weeding or necessarily a proponent of or see glyphostate based herbicides as a panacea. I am 'not out of touch'.

If you (or anyone) wishes to discuss the merits of steam weeding or alternative technologies, that's ok and good. By all means do so, in a thread of that name and not by 'resurrecting' some ancient and what many/most accept as discredited non soundly based evidence and analysis as well as attaching a large prominent photo of your business equipment with a 'one liner' under it about your business doing steam weeding.

The photo + one liner were your only *original* contribution - if that's not advertising / advertorial, then I had better watch some more Gruen to get a better insight into advertising.
    This is what I am objecting to
    - if you want to make an original contribution to the debate, fine, but just 'resurrecting' and promoting self interest is not
    in my view.
    I challenge you to start a discussion thread on steam weeding - and discuss it's techniques, equip, advantages, merits etc and don't use it to just denigrate other methods.
    I shall look forward to reading such a thread.

Joe

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast