Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

lifestyle

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Quote Originally Posted by geoff
    eric good on ya for passion but the salt idea worries me with wash of to the garden beds what about the http://www.naturesavenger.com/ have u tried that product thats supposed to be better thabn round up
    I haven't found an Australian Supplier for Natures avenger. Anyone know of any please let me know.

Also currently looking into a couple of other products.

the natural product at that costs david makes it difficult to use over the product round up thats not proven to be bad when used correctly not like smoking or drinking

geez eric u have sparked a good convo 15 people now viewing

Wink Australian Supplier for Natures avenger.

Quote Originally Posted by lifestyle
    I haven't found an Australian Supplier for Natures avenger. Anyone know of any please let me know.

Also currently looking into a couple of other products.
    Wish you had presented realistic alternatives to Round-up from the start of this thread! Likely you are unaware of any 'cos there are none. But IF you find them, I'll be among the first to get on board - but I won't be clashing any tambourines.

Why don't you consider importing and distributing locally - may be able to significantly reduce the cost of us individually purchasing from US. At a realistic price I would buy - you could add an online store to your web!

Passion is a wonderful thing - demonstrated by putting money where mouth is.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

lifestyle

Default Re: Glyphosate - there's worse stuff in our shampoo!

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    Just a thought - uranium, lead, asbestos, etc... all natural.

Pyrethrins, etc.. organic, but also toxic and kill 'good guys'

Glyphosate 450 20ltr makes about 2,500 Ltrs (at 8mL/Litre) for $85
    Nature's Avenger Organic Weed Killer Concentrate bulk 2 x 2.5 gallons (19 litres) makes 114 Litres (at 5 to 1) for $170 US (plus post) - at least 50 times more expensive!

With the only other alternative being even more costly manual removal, Round-up continues to be the most cost effective method of controlling weeds and grass in garden beds. Round up is NOT agent orange - customers and contractors are unlikely to be changing methods in a hurry.
    Re: Lead etc, as i replied to Premier, some things in nature are toxic, if its safe enough to eat then its safe enough to use.

Re: Pyrethrum, Just plant "Chrysanthemum Cinerariaefolium" in the garden, no need to spray. Marigolds (Calendula & Tagetes) are also good insect repellents)

Re: Glyphosate / Natural alternatives - No comment.

Re: Manual Removal more costly - I charge the same hourly rate whether i'm saltin mowin or weedin. Did a job a week or so ago for a couple who had the photographers coming around the following day to take a picture of the property as they were putting it on the market. They said everyone else they called only wanted to spray. They would have had to wait a couple of weeks for the glypho to work and then they'd have dead weeds in their photo's

Dead weeds Look terrible in a formal or cottage garden. I'm guessing you'd still have to remove the dead weeds a couple of weeks later. Or do most contractors just leave the weeds to blow away in the wind when they spray ?

lifestyle

geez eric u have sparked a good convo 15 people now viewing
    Is that all... i'll have to do better

Default Dead or alive -weeds look terrible

Re: Manual Removal more costly - I charge the same hourly rate whether i'm saltin mowin or weedin.

Dead weeds look terrible in a formal or cottage garden. I'm guessing you'd still have to remove the dead weeds a couple of weeks later. Or do most contractors just leave the weeds to blow away in the wind when they spray ?
    Several hours weeding, or 5-10 minute spraying. Rate may be same, but BIG difference to cost.

Yes, most larger weeds should be manually removed. But with regular maintenance weeds should never become unsightly - hit 'em with roundup while they are young and they disappear by themselves. Manual removal of weeds often leaves roots behind so whilst may have instant impact, killing roots and all is much more effective - but again - limited spot spraying, not 'nuking the joint'.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

lifestyle

Default Re: Australian Supplier for Natures avenger.

Passion is a wonderful thing - demonstrated by putting money where mouth is.
    I think i do that by turning work away when spraying is involved.

If the company had an affiliate program and provided the product in Australia, i'd be happy to promote it. But i'm a Horticulturalist not an importer.

hmmmm, organic alternatives.

Soil solorization. Take away the sun or water and a plant can't survive.

Corn Gluten Meal. Works by suppressing new weed growth (old sawdust works in a similar way but can also reduce water penetration).

Hot Devil. Weed wand for burning weeds using butane gas.

Mulching. Newspaper/ cardboard and regular mulching. Works like soil solorization but without the heat.

Default Effect of salt or glyphosate is same

I'm guessing you'd still have to remove the dead weeds a couple of weeks later. Or do most contractors just leave the weeds to blow away in the wind when they spray ?
    Weeds and grass in paths killed with salt would similarly look tardy. Likely you return later to pull them out or just let them blow away as do glyphosate users.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

lifestyle

"...In 1996 Monsanto was accused of false and misleading advertising of glyphosate products, prompting a law suit by the New York State attorney general.

On Fri Jan 20, 2007, Monsanto was convicted of false advertising of Roundup for presenting Roundup as biodegradable and claiming that it left the soil clean after use. Environmental and consumer rights campaigners brought the case in 2001 on the basis that glyphosate, Roundup's main ingredient, is classed as "dangerous for the environment" and "toxic for aquatic organisms" by the European Union. Monsanto France planned to appeal the verdict at the time...."

lifestyle

Default Re: Effect of salt or glyphosate is same

Weeds and grass in paths killed with salt would similarly look tardy. Likely you return later to pull them out or just let them blow away as do glyphosate users.
    I hit them with the whipper snipper first, then a small pinch of salt on the "stub" (usualy just sprinkled across the entire crack or join in the concrete.

After whipper snipping the weeds i blow them onto the grass and pick them up with the mower.

organic alternatives.

Soil solorization. Take away the sun or water and a plant can't survive.

Corn Gluten Meal. Works by suppressing new weed growth (old sawdust works in a similar way but can also reduce water penetration).

Hot Devil. Weed wand for burning weeds using butane gas.

Mulching. Newspaper/ cardboard and regular mulching. Works like soil solorization but without the heat.
    Less sun in summer - yes please! Could you also arrange for less dry winds, and perhaps some more frequent rain...

Flame thrower - sounds like fun! I want one... - may be difficult to control and be selective in its application in heavily planted beds

Mulching - helps water retention and makes manual weed removal easier- but not as easy as spot spraying once a month.
    Cardboard and paper under mulch retards water absorption - I hate with a vengeance and won't use these under mulch.

Might also add - water from a boiled kettle. Better alternative in paths that salt (that can leach and run off into garden beds) Similarly, wippersnip tops first then hot water kills roots!

Monsanto hasn't produce the glyphosate sold in this country for years. I believe Aussie company Nufarm manufactures for our market.

Support your mates and buy Aussie!
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

lifestyle

eric how come u r so smart what a great tool gotta get one of those now why did u go through all that stuff and come up with this great invention well done ...

lifestyle

eric how come u r so smart what a great tool gotta get one of those now why did u go through all that stuff and come up with this great invention well done ...
    lol... i've burnt weeds like that before but it was geejay i think that brought that particular tool to my attention, or it might have been an ad in the organic gardener magazine, can't remember now.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast