Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Default Re: Effect of salt or glyphosate is same

Quote Originally Posted by lifestyle
    I hit them with the whipper snipper first, then a small pinch of salt on the "stub" (usualy just sprinkled across the entire crack or join in the concrete.

After whipper snipping the weeds i blow them onto the grass and pick them up with the mower.
    I do the same before hitting them with roundup. It knocks out your earlier point about the dead weeds being in the photos for the Real Estate. I normally mulch over the top of the sprayed weeds after doing this to finish it off and give an even better look for the photos.

Boiling water kills weeds very quickly, so that is an option I think needs to be explored. If there could be a device made that can keep the water at boiling point in a spray bottle, so you can go around and hit them with boiling water instead of salt or Roundup. The weeds shrivel up and die very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Formal Gardens
    Boiling water kills weeds very quickly, so that is an option I think needs to be explored. If there could be a device made that can keep the water at boiling point in a spray bottle, so you can go around and hit them with boiling water instead of salt or Roundup. The weeds shrivel up and die very quickly.
    There is such a device - it is sold mainly as a small, domestic, steam cleaner, but can also be used to steam weeds.
    This item (previously advertised on TV - Danoz Direct ??) requires connection to 240V to work.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

lifestyle

I do the same before hitting them with roundup. It knocks out your earlier point about the dead weeds being in the photos for the Real Estate. I normally mulch over the top of the sprayed weeds after doing this to finish it off and give an even better look for the photos.

The dead weeds i was referring to would have been in garden beds not concrete or fence lines. However on that job i spent 3 hours manually weeding. The before and after photos looked pretty good.

Yes a battery powered steamer would be handy. I have found steam only dull the weeds. Worth looking into further. Boiling water is a good idea. Good excuse to water the garden too during water restrictions.

EDIT: I like your method of mulching over immediately after spraying. This is a good way of lessening run off or third party contact. Since glyphosate is a systemic herbicide, do you find you need a small period in between spraying and mulching to enable the spray to work fully ?

Lightbulb Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Last edited by administrator; 03-11-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for what ails you

Geez Eric you have promoted some lively debate here...it certainly proves the value of a good forum, the sharing of views and opinions where like minded people can learn from one another...keep it up

Eric I recall reading an earlier post of yours that explains the reason behind your passion for using organic methods and I admire you for that

I also have started to gain a little more knowledge in regards to alternatives to chemicals after being asked by a couple of clients.

What I have found though does little to help the situation, clearly there is a distinct lack of approved products available at competitive prices to service the market...whether we like it or not whilst customers may like the principal involved in going organic most are not ready yet to pay the extra to participate.

Time will no doubt change that but in the interim I believe this is the biggest hurdle we need to get over to take it to the next step.

Cheers

Premier

lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Premier
    What I have found though does little to help the situation, clearly there is a distinct lack of approved products available at competitive prices to service the market...whether we like it or not whilst customers may like the principal involved in going organic most are not ready yet to pay the extra to participate.
    I remember a conversation with one particular customer who wanted me to spray almost her entire back yard. I told her i don't spray chemicals but i could quote a manual removal. I gave her the quote (Something like 2 days work) and she nearly gagged. She said she couldn't afford it so i told her she would be better off doing the job herself (not expecting her too). She went ahead and done it herself. I heard from the neighbour a month or so later that while doing the job she tripped over a rock in her back yeard and fell down a 3 feet retaining wall. She done her back in and was off work for 3 weeks.

3 weeks for the sake of 2 days...

amonium sulphate on weeds in bed will burn them and break down to nitrogen,a few months later should be able to plant bed up.

a gas wand can be used to burn them.

a weeding inplement called a dutch hoe,preferable a stainless steel blade that is fairly sharp,can be used to remove weeds at ground level quite fast.
    geejay

EDIT: I like your method of mulching over immediately after spraying. This is a good way of lessening run off or third party contact. Since glyphosate is a systemic herbicide, do you find you need a small period in between spraying and mulching to enable the spray to work fully ?
    I certainly have found this. Leave exposed for a few days before covering over.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

No, as long as the spray has been absorbed which normally doesnt take long. If I turn up to a job where the weeds are long and there is enogh space between the plants to get the brushcutter in, I just knock the weeds down, then hit them with roundup. By the time I go off and pickup the mulch, the spray has been absorbed and I mulch thickly straight over them. You get the odd bit that will come through, but most of it does'nt emerge through the mulch.

The boiling water knocks the weeds down very quickly. Within 10 minutes they will be shriveling up. If there was something available that could be battery operated (Maybe like a cordless drill?) that can keep the water in a spray bottle at boiling temp, so that small amounts of boiling water can be put out, it would be a great!

should be able to rig something from the cig lighter to boil the already hot tea furnise then use a pressure spray bottle to hit the weeds....instead of gassing ourselves with round up we will scold ourselves

Make sure you have a Ohs Plan for the boiling water

u need a safety analysis plan u idiot

No, as long as the spray has been absorbed which normally doesnt take long. If I turn up to a job where the weeds are long and there is enogh space between the plants to get the brushcutter in, I just knock the weeds down, then hit them with roundup. By the time I go off and pickup the mulch, the spray has been absorbed and I mulch thickly straight over them. You get the odd bit that will come through, but most of it does'nt emerge through the mulch.

The boiling water knocks the weeds down very quickly. Within 10 minutes they will be shriveling up. If there was something available that could be battery operated (Maybe like a cordless drill?) that can keep the water in a spray bottle at boiling temp, so that small amounts of boiling water can be put out, it would be a great!
    the wand works on super heated steam(gas).there is a commercial operation in au that offers weed removal using this method.
    geejay

geejay

Default Re: Glyphosate, Good for all - so say all of us!

It is NOT about preaching. Its about presenting a strong opinion on a topic that is important in todays society.

I invite negativity on the subject. Because negativity brings with it, debate and long forum threads. Someone, somewhere will pick this thread up, be it a visitor or new member, a student or a researcher. They will look at the opinion presented and some will agree. some won't.

Those who agree may change their practices, those that don't agree won't. But somewhere, somehow, this thread will make a difference. Its the people who DON'T reply that I generally aim at. Those who do reply just help with the debate.

The above are very good words there Lifestyle and what makes this country so fantastic...
    I dont quite share your passion for the "organic way" as I'm a glypho user, however I do admire yours. Keep at it. You've certainly created some good discussion and I've enjoyed reading ALL the posts in this thread.....for and against

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast