Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Transplanting trees

Default Transplanting trees

Hi everyone, I have a few small trees that I want to move from the backyard to the front yard.

We're opening up the centre of the yard to provide more open area for the kids to play and we've lost a few shrubs out the front during the drought due to poor planting choices by the previous owners. So I'd like to move what I don't want from the backyard to fill up the spaces out the front.

The first two I'd like to move are bottlebrushes, trunk diameter is about 15cm, height approx 7 ft (how's that for a mix of metric and imperial for ya).

I've never transplanted a tree before so would really appreciate any tips to help maximise my chances of success.

Will a bottlebrush stand to be moved or is it likely to keel over no matter how careful I am?

Should I prune first, if so by how much?

Do I start digging at the drip line to ensure I get the entire root ball or is that over/under allowing?

Any other tips?

Once I've done those it's a large Walpole Wax but that's a bush more than a tree and I know I can prune the b-geebers out of that and not kill it...I'd like to move everything over the next couple of weeks but is there a best time of the year to do this?

Thanks in advance
    ~ Joanne ~

Default Re: Transplanting trees

I wouldn't do it now with summer coming up. Moving the tree is stressfull enough but if you get a 35 plus day on top of it or a real dry run it is likely to keel over on you.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

yes unfortunaly the best time has passed!

That would be when the trees are dormant

I have just had 5 moved in my paddock this week, really not happy about it as the timing sux but the guy with the excavator stuffed us around all winter...

Moved some chinese elems, liquid amber, bottlebrush, silver ash and joy of joys we have had 30 deg plus days and the operator when I wasnt paying attention just zipped one across, thought he would use a rope and ring barked it...

Think i will loose two of them but what can you do????

Oh charge it to the contractor
    To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

lifestyle

I have found callistemon citrinus to be reasonably easily transplanted. Callistemon viminalis not as easily, i think due to its weeping habit it tends to lose more moisture quicker than citrinus. Some other species are also quiet hardy.
    I usually prune the flowering shoots back past 2 year old beads. Water well if your able to for a week or so before transplanting.

If you have time you could trench it to allow for new roots to develop. I have seen that work on some natives trees. Most people use sand to fill the trench but i find a good compost is also ideal.

Thanks for the replies fellas...I had a feeling it wasn't a good time to do it.

Buuger it's the weeping variety of bottlebrush too, so probably will lose them...pity they're such beautiful trees but very badly located.

Sadly the previous owners seemed to do the garden to pretty it up for sale with no thought in regards to plant choice or location. Great plants in the back, natives, drought tolerant etc....cottage garden out the front which has nearly all died off during last summer.

Any further tips much appreciated.
    ~ Joanne ~

use seasol and/or superphosphate to promote new root development,place tree tablet relative to size in the base of new hole,spray exposed roots with fungicide/seasol mix,spray foliage with a anti-transpiration spray,trim back foliage to compensate for root loss,stack plant to prevent damage to new roots.form saucer around base,keep well watered for 3 months,spray foliage to keep tree cool.place hands around the trunk,if you feel warmth,tree is stressed,spray foliage to cool down,and water base.

october is posible the latest here in australia.

in 2007 we transplanted plus 300 trees plus 200 rhododendrons in november north island new zealand using a tree spade machine.nov was late for nz,but we had late spring rains(like we are having now in melbourne)some of those trees were natives and expected to die,none lost,some were well known exotics expected to live,lost a few,so you never know,nature of the game.

the weeping bottle brush would be the tricky one
    geejay

posted piccys of a tree spade machine under picture designated site.

cheers
    geejay

I've been asked(amongst other things) to cut and poison 2 Qld Bottle tree(brachychiton repestris seedlings that are growing amongst the grape vines. Rather than kill them, I thought I might try to transplant them.
    One is about 1m high and the trunk is about 12-15mm diam. The other is about 1.8m high and trunk is about 60mm diam.

Any tips as to how much rootball I would have to take? There isn't much room as the vines(and seedlings) are in a chicken mesh cage built for midgets.

Also they are now in red volcanic soil and I will be planting them in heavy black clay soil. I have seen them growing in the clay, but wonder if I should prepare the hole to help them get started. I was thinking of digging an oversized hole and pinch some extra red soil to mix in with the fill when I planted them.

might be better off mounding them up off the clay

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Ed, I met this guy a few years ago. Well worth having a chat to if there's anything you're unsure of but I don't think you'll have any problems if you get a good rootball when you dig them up. A light prune and soaking with Seasol prior always helps limit transplant shock.

http://www.bottletrees.info/

Thanks Redeye & Paul.
    My main worry was that due to restricted space, I might not get all of the roots, but seems like they are pretty hardy.
    I will mound them up in their native soil and blend the clay underneath as well.
    There's not much foliage on just yet and I think we've had our last frost so should be as good a time as any to do it.

I wouldn't mound it to much just find a good porous soil mix. Wouldn't go native though.

AS Red and PaulG have said, mound up out of the clay soil and seasol a week before transplanting and then straight after replanting and then every 2 weeks for a couple of months will really help them develop.

It turned out that the bottle trees were growing in black clay soil the same as i have at home.
    I gave them a Seasol treatment last week and was pleased to see new shoots sprouting today.
    Had to dig pretty big holes to get them out, but I think I got most of the roots.

I had a couple of spots that I had previously mulched and planted trees into and the trees have since died. So I dug them out again and the soil was really nice,so I plonked the bottle trees in there.
    Gave them another Seasol, a sprinkle of blood and bone and a bit of mulch on top.

Thanks for the advice
    002rs.jpg 005rs.jpg 009rs.jpg

they're still at the drinking straw tree stage

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69