Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Medical problems as a contractor

Default Re: Medical problems as a contractor

Ok Garry it sounds like what I had, need to see Dr who will send you for a ultrasound on the shoulder which should show up a tear in the ligament. I had a 12mm full depth tear in my left shoulder. Had it operated on 3 weeks ago, still got another 15days in a sling, then a few more weeks of physio before I can use it again. All told approx 3 months off work it will involve, I struggled for a few years but once I sold my business I decided to get it done. Worst part is the sleeping with arm in a sling, gives me the s##ts but it is now on the mend. First week is probably the worst for pain, the first couple of days was fine, they put in a morphine pump and tank which was held in my sling, this started to stop after 48 hrs and it did hurt, luck Dr who removed my pump gave me a script for pain killers. Have a few exercises to do 3 to 4 times a day to keep movement in shoulder. The trick is to heat shoulder with heat pack before exercises and then hit the shoulder with a cold pack straight after to contain any swelling, hospital Physio told me that trick, the physio who setup my exercises never mentioned heat and cold.
    Just gotta control the STIR CRAZY symptons, not being able to do anything SUCKS.

I got through mine without surgery luckily. Mine were at a stage where i couldn't lift a pencil above shoulder height. Found a good physio, did the exercises and took the meds, hot and cold packs and thankfully while its still not 100%, it's close. Can't do certain weight lifting exercises but work is fine, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Yeah I know about the old tennis elbow too. I had it that bad I was booked in to have it operated on, then I fell off a ladder and broke both my wrists, I as off work for so long that the tennis elbow got better...My hands are still rooted from the fall especially my left one which was smashed, maybe that has something to do with the new nerve pain.. but I'm FIIK
    How you going with the broken wrists?
    Mine has healed well. bit limited on full movement tho.Ive left the pins plates etc in too
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Mate my left one is the worst, limited movement, not to bad just noticeable. I still have the plate and seven screws in it, which I am thinking of having removed , I am getting bad pain in it for the last couple of months. Not bad I suppose, they told me to give my work away when I did it and I am still going, but only just. I spent yesterday in Sydney seeing another quack about my hip, this is the worst thing that's ever happened to me, it looks like I will have to give it away, as there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel

Same then. Just thought id ask, did you do all the exercises they got us to do? I did half them - and kept working one handed. 2 weeks after the opp
    So whats wrong with the hip?
    Mate my left one is the worst, limited movement, not to bad just noticeable. I still have the plate and seven screws in it, which I am thinking of having removed , I am getting bad pain in it for the last couple of months. Not bad I suppose, they told me to give my work away when I did it and I am still going, but only just. I spent yesterday in Sydney seeing another quack about my hip, this is the worst thing that's ever happened to me, it looks like I will have to give it away, as there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Thats where it sucks as I went and saw a Physio and they told me they could do nothing, I should have gone and seen more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    Same then. Just thought id ask, did you do all the exercises they got us to do? I did half them - and kept working one handed. 2 weeks after the opp
    So whats wrong with the hip?
    I tore the cartilage in my left hip joint about 5 years ago. I have had 2 operations on it, and 1 on my right hip. But I have constant pain in my left one, nothing takes the pain away, and the doctors don't know what to do, as my scans show that my joint is ok. Talk about farked up, some days I wish I wasn't here.

I tore the cartilage in my left hip joint about 5 years ago. I have had 2 operations on it, and 1 on my right hip. But I have constant pain in my left one, nothing takes the pain away, and the doctors don't know what to do, as my scans show that my joint is ok. Talk about farked up, some days I wish I wasn't here.
    might be your lower back, I had hip pain for years because of a back issue, It maybe only a small nagging pain but it was relentless, I know what your talking about "some day I wish I wasn't here" Not knowing was the problem once i knew the cause it wasn't as bad and i could manage it better.

My Disk is split so i leaks onto the nerves and causes acks further down, leg, hip etc

You could talk to your Dr about a MRI scan on your lower back.

Jeez.....I am gonna need a few more bullets by the looks of things
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Macka has a valid point. Went waterskiing 3 weeks ago for the first time in over 20 yrs and ended up with aching pain in the back of my left knee. Got slowly better over a week but never healed fully, so went to the Chiropractor. All good now as the lower back being out of align/muscles pulling unevenly was the culprit. Have had many aches and pains fixed from a visit to the chiro over the years, but would not say that all chiros are good. Took me years to find a decent one.

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    might be your lower back, I had hip pain for years because of a back issue, It maybe only a small nagging pain but it was relentless, I know what your talking about "some day I wish I wasn't here" Not knowing was the problem once i knew the cause it wasn't as bad and i could manage it better.

My Disk is split so i leaks onto the nerves and causes acks further down, leg, hip etc

You could talk to your Dr about a MRI scan on your lower back.
    Yes That is part of my problem, and I have been told I have a leaking disc too. I have been seeing the right people and it seems things might be turning around. Macka what gives you relief when you get that constant pain?

Yes That is part of my problem, and I have been told I have a leaking disc too. I have been seeing the right people and it seems things might be turning around. Macka what gives you relief when you get that constant pain?

Voltaren Suppositories 100mg, there are the best inflammation for the lower back, HIGHLY RECOMMEND TRYING THEM. I couldn't do this job without these buggers when thing get sore.

Tramadol HCI 50mg Slow Release: for the pain, stops all pain and doesn't make you constipated like Codeine based pain killers.

Movalis 7.5mg tablets: Antin-fame and arthritis.

If im really sore I :
    Pop in 1 Voltaren before bed
    Take 2 x Tramadol and a 2 x Movalis in the morning with breakfast

Just beaware that you might be stuffing your kidneys and liver taking all those. Also might give your self a stomach bleed with those Movalis.

We're a sad and sorry bunch aren't we... I'm spending a lot of time considering and reconsidering everything at the moment too. Spent some time in hospital again recently for an undiagnosed infection/fever/virus which was being suppressed by the medication for my Crohn's disease. Also only sleeping a few hours a night and catching up with naps where I can due the extreme and worsening pain in my left hip. I give myself maybe 12 to 18 months left in this game. Lot of time now spent thinking how to afford a hip replacement operation and how I'm going to continue to keep providing for my young family into the future...

Paul, can't you get onto the public hospital hip replacement list. Your Dr just needs to give you a referal to the Fracture Clinic. My wife who is a bit older than you is on the list at Dubbo Hospital, costs nothing. If you got on the list now maybe by the time you have to give up working you can get a new hip.
    I know it's mainly older people who get hip replacements but if your Dr has sent for for all the xrays and CT scans and you hip is buggered then you should be able to go on the waiting list for a free one.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast