Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ex Franchisee's can pass on their experiance...

Default Re: Ex Franchisee's can pass on their experiance...

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    I think your under playing it a bit there MowerRob, your mob get some good industry goss and tips that go a long way to helping to run there business at its most efficient and this info also helps them get better more profitable clientelle. They also get to meet and chat with certain manufacturers of garden products and in some cases get to try out there machines before they go on sale.

You may say there's nothing to it but i'm not buying it, its such a big company today there would be some good stuff coming out of there, thats why it would be great to here from an ex bearded one to here tails from the inside. Even if they made up a franchise name to protect themselves from any legal issues.

Then you can let us decide if its worth while info or not.
    your mob get some good industry goss and tips that go a long way to helping to run there business at its most efficient and this info also helps them get better more profitable clientelle. They also get to meet and chat with certain manufacturers of garden products and in some cases get to try out there machines before they go on sale.

Seriously mate dont know who u are talking to and what u hear. But I will add Im in SA and we dont get anything like what u are talking about

I get all my info and use of equipment from my local mower shop . This is something that any franchisee or Indy can do.

from having a general interest in cars(both me and the owner of the mower shop owning new HSVs we got to know each other very well got invited to the Clipsal 500 with them in a corporate tent).

I do all the pruning and weed spraying and general garden duties on their properties.

basically what I get out of Jims is leads and only in 3 suburbs keeping my run to a minimum . Also i do attend all meetings and I also organise pub day/night where a group of jims meet up for lunch or Tea and just have a general chat and share some tips and tricks.

I am the owner of my business and I make it successful.

we might get some great clientele as u put it but we still have to do a good job to keep them

If there is not much too it why would you join the bearded one in the first place you may as well save yourself $25,000 and become an Indi, $25,000 buys a lot of advertising.

I joined jims and I paid less than that but my first week of working I had 77 customers (bought an existing round) and was turning well over 1.5k from first week.
    And having a compact round and support if needed and leads and advertising done for me was enticing .

Dont forget when I leave Jims I will still be able to sell my round for a minimum of what I paid.

but actually I am able to split my round into 5 so u do the sums

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves View Post
    +cost per lead???
    Cheers Dean.
    $8

not bad got a lead today for garden prune about 3 hrs work for 2 guys $550 got it do next Tues .

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden View Post
    Your much better off becoming a indi i looked into a franchise and decided to run on my own. I was told by a old guy don buy customers there free and they might not like being brought and may turn around and go else where. This forum runs on the same principal.
    Everyone makes choice some to go Indy some go franchise. We are all competitors even Jims V Jims .

I will wave at all lawnies and if time permits (very hard now during spring I will stop and chat) you are never to old to learn

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Now this would make for interesting reading if an ex bearded one come on here and gave us the in's and out's of the way a franchise is run and gave us an insight into what gets told to them along the way.

What fees they pay, how they work out there quotes, what gets said at the monthly meetings, all the tips and tricks they give along the way,would make for interesting reading.
    Sorry Scoob but I don't think it would be any more interesting than we already know. They do the same as us. Just have a call centre and more costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Sorry Scoob but I don't think it would be any more interesting than we already know. They do the same as us. Just have a call centre and more costs.
    Sorry Glenno we will have to agree to disagree on this one, i know a owner of a mower shop that goes to some of there monthly meetings and some good stuff gets said there sometimes, i can see its going to end up a Indi v's Bearded ones sh*t fight again which was not my intention , but to say that an ex bearded one would'nt have some good inside goss is a little bit naive.

I'll give you one tid bit which to some people will be relevent to others it wont mean sh*t depends on where your at with your business, a gardening franchise (names withheld to protect from being sued) does a deal with a body corporate agency that sees all that body corps gardening work go to the franchise. Basically it involved the franchise giving money to the body corp in exchange for regular work for its franchise zees. The Indi's that were the front line gardeners for this body corp now go from getting regular work to getting jack because of the back room deal between the two mentioned parties involved. Means sh*t to you if you didn't work for the body corp but if you did it meant a massive restructure of your business.

Now if most of your work is domestic you probably couldn't give a toss about back room deals but if your thinking on a bigger scale these little bits of info give you an understanding on how it all works.

Working your $40 domestics is great but at some stage your going to want to expand your business to bigger and better things and if you can get some inside goss about how the bearded ones go about it all the better for your business.

I'm just putting it out there that it would be nice to here from ex bearded ones get the real story not company spin.

Sorry Glenno we will have to agree to disagree on this one, i know a owner of a mower shop that goes to some of there monthly meetings and some good stuff gets said there sometimes, i can see its going to end up a Indi v's Bearded ones sh*t fight again which was not my intention , but to say that an ex bearded one would'nt have some good inside goss is a little bit naive.

I'll give you one tid bit which to some people will be relevent to others it wont mean sh*t depends on where your at with your business, a gardening franchise (names withheld to protect from being sued) does a deal with a body corporate agency that sees all that body corps gardening work go to the franchise. Basically it involved the franchise giving money to the body corp in exchange for regular work for its franchise zees. The Indi's that were the front line gardeners for this body corp now go from getting regular work to getting jack because of the back room deal between the two mentioned parties involved. Means sh*t to you if you didn't work for the body corp but if you did it meant a massive restructure of your business.

Now if most of your work is domestic you probably couldn't give a toss about back room deals but if your thinking on a bigger scale these little bits of info give you an understanding on how it all works.

Working your $40 domestics is great but at some stage your going to want to expand your business to bigger and better things and if you can get some inside goss about how the bearded ones go about it all the better for your business.

I'm just putting it out there that it would be nice to here from ex bearded ones get the real story not company spin.
    There is a Jims corporate that does try and find national work eg they will go to someone like Mc Donalds and tell them we can have a franchisee looking after every store.

Now this is well and good but both Maccas and Jims corporate have to agree on the hrly rate. They then send a lead to the Jim who has the Maccas in their territory and tells them the deal eg x amount of hrs for x amount of $$$.

Usually the x amount of $$$ is not very good. Hence why I take no Jims Corporate work.

I only take leads where I can quote the job myself and work for my hrly rate.

I can honestly say I have no idea how they go about getting corporate work as in handing money over I have never heard this but I have seen some of the hrly rates and even the cowboys wouldnt work for it.

See this is what i like about you MowerRob you give a little back to us Indi's. I'll have to fly up to Adelaide and pile you full of some nice drink and get some more decent info off ya. I'm glad it hasn't turned into a Indi v's Bearded ones sh*t fight, its always nice when we get along.

Glenno you were half right about some of the stuff from the Bearded ones not being relevant to us with there call centre, national brand etc but i'd still love to here from an ex Indi for more goss that these current boys wont give me (understandably).

Maybe MowerRob will one day see the light and come over to the Indi side of the pond and then i can get the info from him.

See this is what i like about you MowerRob you give a little back to us Indi's. I'll have to fly up to Adelaide and pile you full of some nice drink and get some more decent info off ya. I'm glad it hasn't turned into a Indi v's Bearded ones sh*t fight, its always nice when we get along.

Glenno you were half right about some of the stuff from the Bearded ones not being relevant to us with there call centre, national brand etc but i'd still love to here from an ex Indi for more goss that these current boys wont give me (understandably).

Maybe MowerRob will one day see the light and come over to the Indi side of the pond and then i can get the info from him.
    I meant ex Bearded one not Indi, don't know what happened to my edit tab but it doesn't come up anymore, use to give me about 7 mins to edit stuff but not anymore.

Very Helpful Member

hey mower rob isn't that part of how the work guarantee is setup after the area guy has knocked it back they offer the new guys these jobs if he takes it he gets paid jack shot for his work and whether he takes it or not jims have offered him the work so it comes of his guarantee
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    hey mower rob isn't that part of how the work guarantee is setup after the area guy has knocked it back they offer the new guys these jobs if he takes it he gets paid jack shot for his work and whether he takes it or not jims have offered him the work so it comes of his guarantee
    No.

Work guarantee which is $1500 a week is basically if the new zee who has bought a vacant territory with no clients is guaranteed $1500 a week

If he receives a lead be it in his own territory or another territory where that zee is not taking work and he quotes the job and gets it that goes towards WAG. Say he has made $1000 to get the other $500 he has to door knock in his own territory and offer a free mow. Every mow he does like this the zor will give him $50 up til he has made $1500.

WAG stops when they do more than $1500 on their own with out promo work for 4 consecutive weeks or when they have 70 reg clients

I never had WAG cos I bought an existing round with 77 clients. Since then I bought another 2 territories and run with about 160 regs and 150 casual. I have a full time offsider

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234