Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying pole saw

Kirky

Default Buying pole saw

Hi All
    I need to buy a pole saw for hand pruning palms etc. I haven't even used one so am a bit wary. I've had a look through the search but can't find advice.Any suggestions on what or what not to get, or should I just go down and grab the purdiest ?
    Cheers
    Kirky

Default Re: Buying pole saw

Hi Kirky, I've got a Stihl HT75 & its the best tool I've ever bought It does everything I need it to do! A word of warning though; never cut palm fronds on a date palm from the underside (the voice of painful experience!) the mongrels slide straight down the pole & the spikes hit your hands/fingers/arms at high speed. I've had 2 very nasty accidents with them & no longer do date palms! I had one go straight thru my index finger & into my second finger & snap off. The other one went straight into my thumb joint & snapped off. Part of it is still in there & the doc can't get it out (Karen got the one out of my fingers with pliers! it only hurt for a second or 2 lol!)

hey kirky i have a ht 101 stihl power pruner ( update of the ht 75 ) has new engine (4 mix) ie 4 stroke that uses 2 stroke mix , found it starts loads better than the ht 75 & also has 5 % more power & 17% more torque but if you want to do a few jobs & happy by hand , try a wolf garten pole pruner , you can buy different heads for these & the cocky's beak is a great pruning device on smaller branches etc & the pruning saw is also a very handy thing !!!!!! look up on this website as i know Dean has them cheers
    1st aid level 2 , ewp over 11m , limits of approach (powerline clearance) , ohs red card , roadside traffic management, chainsaw lvl 1 , woodchipper , fire training lvl 1 Leaves2Lawn Tree & Gardencare PTY LTD 0407569973 [/COLOR]12 inch woodchipper hire , Garden Mulch , Ride on mowing & lawn mowing services , Hedge trimming , Tree removal & Maintenance .

Quote Originally Posted by Wggc
    hey kirky i have a ht 101 stihl power pruner ( update of the ht 75 ) has new engine (4 mix) ie 4 stroke that uses 2 stroke mix , found it starts loads better than the ht 75 & also has 5 % more power & 17% more torque but if you want to do a few jobs & happy by hand , try a wolf garten pole pruner , you can buy different heads for these & the cocky's beak is a great pruning device on smaller branches etc & the pruning saw is also a very handy thing !!!!!! look up on this website as i know Dean has them cheers
    Mate, no way it could start better than first pull lol! coz the HT75 starts first time every time! your unit probably does haves more power & torque, but like I said, the HT75 does everything I need it to do. As an aside; the guy that does all of my servicing, repairs etc warned me off buying a HT101 as he said they are a bastard to start once they get old. He reckons they are excellent till 2 thirds worn out, then a pain in the arse! this guy has more than 40 years in!

Very Helpful Member

kirky have you looked at getting a multi tool as i can be more versatial than a straight pole saw it may not have as much reach as a polesaw but you may find they are long enought

lol kakegc ive been using the ht75 power pruners now over 8 yrs & found everyone has a little drama getting up & running !! mind you i live in vic where temps are cooler !!! but none the less the ht 101 power pruners have only been out sinnce sept last year so id say the bloke who sold you yours wanted to clear out the old stock !!!! my boss bought one after i told him bout mine & has nothing but praise 4 them i think you maybe a lil uninformed about them as they have a 2 yr commercial warranty anyways not saying that the ht 75 is no good , they are a fantastic power pruner & last for years !!!! the prob they do have is they have a habit of losing air cleaner covers as they get caught on branches & fall off {$40 replacement } & the ht 101 cost about $100 more money well spent i say !!! & the new air cleaner cover is screwed on so you'll never lose them !!!! cheers
    1st aid level 2 , ewp over 11m , limits of approach (powerline clearance) , ohs red card , roadside traffic management, chainsaw lvl 1 , woodchipper , fire training lvl 1 Leaves2Lawn Tree & Gardencare PTY LTD 0407569973 [/COLOR]12 inch woodchipper hire , Garden Mulch , Ride on mowing & lawn mowing services , Hedge trimming , Tree removal & Maintenance .

the idea is great ian but as you stated they dont have much reach !!! lol , most palms grow tall & you need all you can get to reach the things !!!!! im not that experienced with palms livin here in vic but have trimmed a few in my time & the spikes on them are def a pain ( stood on one & went through my foot ) ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!! safety boots as well lol btw the multi tools are an awesome thing & i use them here & are well worth having in your tool box !!! cheers

Lancat

Kirky I have to agree with the other guys that have used the Stihl HT-75 pole saw. It’s a great unit and is geared a little different to the small combo type saws.
    The pole is very sturdy and about 40 to 50mm wide and extends nearly 6 meters. It is quit a heavy device to use when the pole is fully extended and you need to be very carefully not to get the bar caught when cutting.

For me a pole chain saw is one of those tools that I only use once or twice a year and it’s cheaper for me to just hire one from my local trade hire company.

I carry a Fiskars fibreglass 4.2 meter telescopic loppers with a pruning saw attachment to drop the odd high branch and it’s also great for cutting those lower palm frones.

Kirky if you want to try a pole saw out just hire one for the day

Kirky

Thanks Guys,
    I took Lancats advice and will hire one when needed to try it out. I bought a fibreglass fisklars which will do me for now and have already used it and it work fine for smaller jobs.
    One problem with starting out is that there are so many tools you'd like to have but not enough $$! I am trying to keep the cashflow positive. No use having expensive tools sitting in the shed waiting for the odd job. I am getting more and more garden clean up work now with good money as well as regular mows.
    A big thanks to all you guys who contribute to this site because I have used a lot of advice and info here and , and now my business is becoming nicely profitable.
    Hats off to you
    Cheers
    Kirky

Good on ya Kirky !!!!! great to hear you're doing well , it gives me more confidence when i decide to " go it alone " , as im known by friends & family etc being in the tree industry , i find most of my jobs i do in spare time are mostly trees & hedges etc with the odd ride on job thrown in !!! lol my push mower gets more of a flogging at home , ohhh well the mowing work will come when i go alone cheers & happy trimming

If you dont want to buy i agree hire out the products, you need to get a few of the same jobs in line for the same day, makes it even cheaper for the hired tool .

Senior Member Wombat Garden Services's Avatar

I'm in need of a better & longer pole saw, Ive got this cheapo cyclone one thats just not long enough to prune tall palms, Im looking at this "Sandvik Telescopic Extension Pole, 5m ($162)" with a "Bahco Curved Pole Saw($43)" for the blade, from newagearbor, does anyone have one of these or can recommend something similar ?

I will tell you the pest saw for palms is Wolf garden real fine teath cut with ease....

Very Helpful Member

i have the fiskars telescopic polesaw 5mtr reach does a good job availble at bunnings
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I was looking at a Fiskar pole saw at Bunnings today looks the goods, will have to get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast