Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: hedger blade speed=relevant?

Default hedger blade speed=relevant?

is a hedgers blade speed,material its made off relevant in professional prunning?

sharpness is a given.

are lanoline oils like protect useful?

what do you reakon?
    geejay

Default Re: hedger blade speed=relevant?

I have found that speed can definitely make a difference - the thicker branches require a slower speed so that they enter the cutting area before the blades come together again.

Sap gets between the blades. As it dries it adds a lot of friction and can build up a 'space' to prevent each cutting side from touching. This makes for a poor cut.

I apply Lanolin after every use. This seems to prevent the sap from drying out. It's also a great lubricant. Never use WD40 or similar - it can bind and jam up your machine!
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I use INOX as a lubricant. Great stuff as it does not dry out or gum up and is waterproof. I got onto as we use it on our paintball guns at the field I ref on..
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Like David said, U need to go a little slower to allow the larger material time to enter between the blades, but a faster speed does,nt mean a better cut eg, a manual pair of shears or secateaurs if sharp will give u an excellent cut.
    I find the biggest issue with the finish generally relates to the adjustment of the blades. If too loose a poor cut, if too tight the blades will bind. Once you,re perfectly happy with the cut, use a lock nut whilst holding the original nut with a spanner(on the top of the cutter that is).This should secure it ensuring it will not go out of adjustment.
    I have used wd40,crc,etc on all our cutters 4 many years now with no probs.
    Cheers Dean.

Definitely use lanolin spray or something similar to lubricate the blades. Not doing so can be costly, it was a $200 lesson i learned.