Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 18 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Honda HRU216 modifications - What's yours?

Default Honda HRU216 modifications - What's yours?

The "Twin blade Advantage" made me laugh ! The self drive Hondas are ledgendary for not only thier excelent reliability, but also lack of power, ability to choke on wet or heavy grass, catch branches with the controlls, clog air filters, wear out rear tyres and inflict that sore bruised patch on the left thigh of anyone who uses them regularly.
    I'll start with a few of my mods, but I'm curious what other blokes do to make the HRU216 into a "goer"

Blades - replaced with cox ride on blades, twice as thick, half the price, boron steel, replace 2 cox blades for every 6-8 OEM honda blades, no "chunking" of lawn through blade flex (like standard). Blades set 2 high cut, 2 normal cut , all high lift for optimal catching, or 2high lift, 2 worn out for mulching/standard catching.

Choking catcher - modded rear axle and fabricated replacement 1.5mm thick rear apron to open and smooth flow to catcher. In conjunction with cox blades. Catches wet or dry to a full catcher without choking.

Throttle/Shift lever guard - Come on Honda!!! - $1 worth of 6mm steel rod bent and welded to the handle to save busted controll levers and having brances shift the throttle and gears!!! (Now who has Arf a Brain??)

Clogged air filter - cut a hole in the cooling cowell at the top back and mount a victa handle type filter. The fan acts as a centrifuge and air pump, the filters are cheap. Duct to original filter housing.

More power - 30thou off head and smooth porting, open the main jet slightly with an oxy tip cleaner. There is only so much you can do with 160cc and a short stroke, Is lunch break over for the Honda R&D guys yet? I'm sure they went down the pub about 6 years ago.

So far I haven't done anything about the rear tyres or thigh bruise yet. Has anyone else??

Default Re: Honda HRU216 modifications - What's yours?

You need to post some Pictures.
    Last edited by administrator; 04-01-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Only one mod for my honda a shorter or modified govener spring for more revs and go like speedy gonzalis . Do the cox blades fit the honda disc ??or is the disc modified also..Interesting info also Arfa..

Have to be very carefull im all for home made mods but blade tampering i wouldnt really be happy about but everybody is different .

Not sure how you would go with occ health and safety and if there was a problem dont know how you woud go with your public liability cover either .

The cox ride on blade fits and has a step down does change the load dramatically i would say .
    Last edited by administrator; 04-01-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Have to be very carefull im all for home made mods but blade tampering i wouldnt really be happy about but everybody is different .

Not sure how you would go with occ health and safety and if there was a problem dont know how you woud go with your public liability cover either .

The cox ride on blade fits and has a step down does change the load dramatically i would say .

700+ lawns a year for the past 6 years, 11 years in business, the only problem I ever had with blade loss was when a brand new Honda HRU216D decided to release the entire cutting disc and blade assembly on the 2nd lawn it cut. Started the mower on the footpath and watched the disc assy UFO across the road. The mower backfired for some reason on starting, which must have sheared the pissy little tin drive lugs on the disc. The attach bolt snapped like a carrot and I tried to stick my feet under my armpits while hovering in mid air. No I didn't hit anything, the lawn was manicured and pristine.
    Since then my mowers spend a day in my workshop getting a full checkover, throttle/gearshift guards, blade upgrade, modified rear throw plate and rear axle(ever seen a HRU216 catch wet grass faster than you can cut it?) Rip out that stupid plastic mulch ramp, shorten the throw on the clutch, open the inlet & exhaust ports, 30thou off the head and increase the revs by 750rpm.
    It's nowhere near f*%#n standard, but a 2 man team can mow 20+ lawns in an 8 hour day, rain doesn't slow you down the grass doesn't choke and you have about 6.5hp. at call for the heavy stuff.
    I appreciate your opinion about insurance liability, thank you, you are correct, but I'd rather trust myself than a committee of academics who have probably never even mown a lawn.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Default Re: Honda reply on feedback warranted

Whilst cautious re: home made modifications, the reasons for them should be addressed by the manufacturers, not left to the end user.

I would agree that whilst reliable, the 216 mowers lack power, choke on wet or heavy grass, catch branches with the controls, clog air filters, wear out rear tyres and inflict that sore bruised patch on the left thigh of anyone who uses them regularly.

I could add to the list - front axle bends if you hit a post with a wheel, low bushes get caught easily and bend/stuff control levers/springs on engine.

I fear that that the next 'leap' in design will be a dead man's handle - stopping the engine between emptying the catcher and forcing restart multiple times every lawn!

I'm told Honda takes an active interest in this forum re: posts on their equipment. It is time we heard from them.
    The silence to date has been deafening!
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne
    700+ lawns a year for the past 6 years, 11 years in business, the only problem I ever had with blade loss was when a brand new Honda HRU216D decided to release the entire cutting disc and blade assembly on the 2nd lawn it cut. Started the mower on the footpath and watched the disc assy UFO across the road. The mower backfired for some reason on starting, which must have sheared the pissy little tin drive lugs on the disc. The attach bolt snapped like a carrot and I tried to stick my feet under my armpits while hovering in mid air. No I didn't hit anything, the lawn was manicured and pristine.
    Since then my mowers spend a day in my workshop getting a full checkover, throttle/gearshift guards, blade upgrade, modified rear throw plate and rear axle(ever seen a HRU216 catch wet grass faster than you can cut it?) Rip out that stupid plastic mulch ramp, shorten the throw on the clutch, open the inlet & exhaust ports, 30thou off the head and increase the revs by 750rpm.
    It's nowhere near f*%#n standard, but a 2 man team can mow 20+ lawns in an 8 hour day, rain doesn't slow you down the grass doesn't choke and you have about 6.5hp. at call for the heavy stuff.
    I appreciate your opinion about insurance liability, thank you, you are correct, but I'd rather trust myself than a committee of academics who have probably never even mown a lawn.
    mate you gotta get some pics up or even upload a small vid of your alterations on Youtube and post the link. I'm definately not as mechanically minded as yourself, but if there's a way to improve the wet grass factor with them then I will definately have a crack. As for the controls and the spark plug cover I'm surprised if they last more than a week into a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    I fear that that the next 'leap' in design will be a dead man's handle - stopping the engine between emptying the catcher and forcing restart multiple times every lawn!
    a mate has a $200 chinese big w lawn mower that has just that

everytime you empty the catcher, stop for a stick/rock etc the motor stops

easily fixed with a couple of cable ties to tie the bar back

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie5
    everytime you empty the catcher, stop for a stick/rock etc the motor stops

easily fixed with a couple of cable ties to tie the bar back
    Cable ties may well keep the engine going - but what happens when you WANT to stop it? Perhaps a velcro strap instead?
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Whilst cautious re: home made modifications, the reasons for them should be addressed by the manufacturers, not left to the end user.

I would agree that whilst reliable, the 216 mowers lack power, choke on wet or heavy grass, catch branches with the controls, clog air filters, wear out rear tyres and inflict that sore bruised patch on the left thigh of anyone who uses them regularly.

I could add to the list - front axle bends if you hit a post with a wheel, low bushes get caught easily and bend/stuff control levers/springs on engine.

I'm told Honda takes an active interest in this forum re: posts on their equipment. It is time we heard from them.
    The silence to date has been deafening!
    Well said David.....
    I would love to see "Honda" post something on here. FANTASIC product but like everything ya need to speak to the guys and gals using them to get acurate picture of the pro's and con's.
    Cheers, Jason.

If your lawns and garden's have lost their Mojo...
    Call Mowjo Man

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne
    Can't vs shouldn't
    Can vs should

Perhaps another mugfull whilst considering the differences is in order.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I am sure that is a U.S. requirement for all mowers sold in the USA. They will probably decide to stick it on all their mowers anyway even if not required in some countries, just hope the local manufactures will force them through competition to remove those stupid dead man handles.

Quote Originally Posted by simo
    Only one mod for my honda a shorter or modified govener spring for more revs and go like speedy gonzalis . Do the cox blades fit the honda disc ??or is the disc modified also..Interesting info also Arfa..
    Yeah, I modify the disc with the addition of Rover "D" washers welded onto the disc for beef up and to take the proper bolts for the cox blades. The pissy tin drive lugs have one removed and a 8mm steel dowel put in it's place.

Be carefull how much you rev the honda. Another 750rpm will still have the engine outlast the chassis, but push it past an extra 1,000 and the engine won't take it for more than about 12 months.
    Best way is to shift the original spring up 2 holes and bend the governor linkage slightly. Adjust max revs with the adjuster on the linkage interface in front of the carby.

Cable ties may well keep the engine going - but what happens when you WANT to stop it? Perhaps a velcro strap instead?
    you close the throttle like you would on any other mower

We won't pics , we won't pics , we won't pics .

Page 1 of 18 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast