Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Honda HRU216 modifications - What's yours?

Default Re: Honda HRU216 modifications - What's yours?

I am all for tweaking your gear but my knowledge of what I am doing leaves me little bit unsure. AB you seem to have the mods down pat and I acknowledge your experience in the industry. Have you had any probs modify your gear and if so what. Before I go and do any mods I would like to know the full story. I am not going to pay $800 plus to void a warranty.

But having said that nothing ventured nothing gained and if we can make the gear work better lets do it. After all isn't that the Aussie spirit. Without that we would not have made the water powered guns in Galipolli.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Wink Re: Honda HRU216 modifications - What's yours?

Arfa Well i guess if you where really concerned a letter suggesting mods to Honda would be a good idea and let the engineers develop the unit properly .

My other concern if there is an employee occ health and safety is very very important indeed but im sure you know this and appreciate that you dont let him use this modified mower .

700 lawns a year only comes to 14 lawns a week approx .

Considering Honda didnt make the 216d for commercial use you cant expect what your expecting is was designed for older people to selve drive instead of push .
    Also origanally designed to cut regular lawns on a very regular mowing pattern .
    Not designed to cut long grass at all .
    Last edited by administrator; 10-01-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Considering Honda didnt make the 216d for commercial use you cant expect what your expecting is was designed for older people to selve drive instead of push .
    Also origanally designed to cut regular lawns on a very regular mowing pattern .
    If the 216d wasn't developed for the commercial market Honda need to change there marketing as its advertised as a commercial mower for the serious contractor

I think the 216 is a great mower but Arfa Brayne's list of complaints are frustrating, he sounds very mechanically capable but I agree it should be up to Honda to engineer and design and modify the mower not us.

Maybe we should all do as admin suggested and write to honda with our suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Arfa Well i guess if you where really concerned a letter suggesting mods to Honda would be a good idea and let the engineers develop the unit properly .

Wrote three letters and they didn't even bother to reply, figured they weren't listening to anyone who wasn't shouting a free lunch

My other concern if there is an employee occ health and safety is very very important indeed but im sure you know this and appreciate that you dont let him use this modified mower .

My blokes whinge and gripe when circumstances require they use a non modified mower.

700 lawns a year only comes to 14 lawns a week approx .

Got me here - should read 7,000 - shouldn't try to watch TV, type and do mathematics at the same time

Be buggered if I'm paying an extra $800 to get a "commercial" whose only difference is a heavier steel deck.
    And while on subject - Why are Honda alergic to releasing any sort of meaningfull specifications for their equipment. All we get is motherhood sales shmaltz without actual comparitive figures.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Why are Honda alergic to releasing any sort of meaningfull specifications for their equipment. All we get is motherhood sales shmaltz without actual comparitive figures.[/B][/QUOTE]

Have no idea but no point in writing them a letter lol

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    I am all for tweaking your gear but my knowledge of what I am doing leaves me little bit unsure. AB you seem to have the mods down pat and I acknowledge your experience in the industry. Have you had any probs modify your gear and if so what. Before I go and do any mods I would like to know the full story. I am not going to pay $800 plus to void a warranty.

Not sure where you got this figure of $800, and for what mods.

But having said that nothing ventured nothing gained and if we can make the gear work better lets do it. After all isn't that the Aussie spirit. Without that we would not have made the water powered guns in Galipolli.
    I'm afraid I was born before the bubblewrap generation, and raised in the bush amongst blokes the likes of old diggers and free thinkers, who believed if they wanted it done right - they'd have to do it themselves. Do-gooders and pussies make up our current breed of leaders, who are so bogged down in paperwork, rules and academia they fail to get the job done. The best piece of safety equipment you posess rests between your ears, without it, no safety procedure or paperwork can save a determined idiot.
    THINK HARD - WORK EASY!!

Default Re: Honda reply on feedback warranted

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    We won't pics , we won't pics , we won't pics .
    I'll get around to some pics soon, but I always seem to strike problems loading them up. Possibly too high a resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne
    I'm afraid I was born before the bubblewrap generation, and raised in the bush amongst blokes the likes of old diggers and free thinkers, who believed if they wanted it done right - they'd have to do it themselves. Do-gooders and pussies make up our current breed of leaders, who are so bogged down in paperwork, rules and academia they fail to get the job done. The best piece of safety equipment you posess rests between your ears, without it, no safety procedure or paperwork can save a determined idiot.
    THINK HARD - WORK EASY!!
    AB...couldn't agree more and like you I have little faith in the BWG as you put it and like you I was born and raised in the bush where you had to learn to make do because there was nothing else within cooee.

But that is not now and you have not answered my question. Have you had any problems from your mods. This equipment costs us a lot of $ and before we go down the track of changing things I would like to know both sides of the coin. No tweaks come without problems so what have you found out with all your work. Give us the good and the bad.

Is that a fair ask?
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

arfa just wondering have you got any pics of your honda mods like the victa filter etc, sounds pretty interesting stuff,, i must admit i use cox blades too on my spare disc

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    AB...couldn't agree more and like you I have little faith in the BWG as you put it and like you I was born and raised in the bush where you had to learn to make do because there was nothing else within cooee.

But that is not now and you have not answered my question. Have you had any problems from your mods. This equipment costs us a lot of $ and before we go down the track of changing things I would like to know both sides of the coin. No tweaks come without problems so what have you found out with all your work. Give us the good and the bad.

Is that a fair ask?
    It is a fair ask Bluey,
    the only problems I have had with my mods is that after the first 8 months the shortened throw on the clutch requires adjusting about once every 3 months.
    Sometimes the air filter duct plug can be knocked out- but this is the same as the Honda snorkle plug.
    I ran a motor at 1250rpm above standard for a trial and it died after 8 months work, but at 750 above they still outlast the chassis.
    The modded rear axle and apron go so well that I have one now which is on its 3rd mower. I dont re-use the cutting disc on following mowers though, I don't want to push my luck too far and the mods to fit the rover D plates for the cox bolts are so quick and simple I just convert the new disc.
    Because the cox blades are thicker they really drag the "power?" down when they are blunt. I sharpen blades once a week before the blue ribbon properties and if you miss a week you wonder what is wrong with the bloody thing.
    No probs from the head shave or porting, but I nicked a valve seat once with the burr and had to re-lapp it.
    Sorry to disappoint you but that is about it, I've had bugger all problems with the mods.

Don't know if you've read the title of this thread, but I was curious to find if anyone else has mods - so far a lot of questions but very little helpful feedback. We are in a business that is very compettitive, with a raft of "Summer Wonders" hitting the scene every year with N F I and quoting stupid prices in the belief they will last the winter. The only way to survive well is to be as efficient as possible, I am always looking for a better way to do the job. What astounds me is that I may be alone in this attitude.

It is a fair ask Bluey,
    the only problems I have had with my mods is that after the first 8 months the shortened throw on the clutch requires adjusting about once every 3 months.
    Sometimes the air filter duct plug can be knocked out- but this is the same as the Honda snorkle plug.
    I ran a motor at 1250rpm above standard for a trial and it died after 8 months work, but at 750 above they still outlast the chassis.
    The modded rear axle and apron go so well that I have one now which is on its 3rd mower. I dont re-use the cutting disc on following mowers though, I don't want to push my luck too far and the mods to fit the rover D plates for the cox bolts are so quick and simple I just convert the new disc.
    Because the cox blades are thicker they really drag the "power?" down when they are blunt. I sharpen blades once a week before the blue ribbon properties and if you miss a week you wonder what is wrong with the bloody thing.
    No probs from the head shave or porting, but I nicked a valve seat once with the burr and had to re-lapp it.
    Sorry to disappoint you but that is about it, I've had bugger all problems with the mods.

Don't know if you've read the title of this thread, but I was curious to find if anyone else has mods - so far a lot of questions but very little helpful feedback. We are in a business that is very compettitive, with a raft of "Summer Wonders" hitting the scene every year with N F I and quoting stupid prices in the belief they will last the winter. The only way to survive well is to be as efficient as possible, I am always looking for a better way to do the job. What astounds me is that I may be alone in this attitude.
    AB I reckon you should have your own section on here...AB's mod Q&A
    With what I've read so far I'd say you've got buckleys of getting any advice from other members that you haven't tried yourself. The sooner you get some pics up the better ....
    I had a pissy little shower of light rain half-way through a large lawn yesterday....ended up taking another 30-40 mins because of the ****e 216 catcher ....I will make whatever mods I have to, to the bastard thing if it helps get through the wet stuff.

You should have put the muching plug in and then blown it all around.

Rip out that stupid plastic mulch ramp,
    Do most people leave this on or take it off ? I have noticed behind mine has become filled with gunk and pushed it down towards the path of the blades is there a way to take it off so I can clean behind it with out damaging it or should I just rip it off.

Thanks

I know this doesnt apply to the 216 but i got a 195 and 196 all i ever do with them is clean the filter and replace blades I used to sharpen the blades but found a mob in queensland who sell cheap spring steel blades.

Ive adjusted the rpm on both mowers a fair bit more then standard even at lowest setting.

The 195 ive had for 7 years and its gone thru 3 catchers, replaced pull cord and pulled restrictor out of exhaust... yeah its loud but it still starts first go and still can keep up with my newer 196... and you know its bloody light compared to the 196.

The 196 rpm has been increased and thats it .

Neither of the machines ive changed oil .... I reckon the 195 has gone thru at a average 40 lawns per week by 7 years i got my good run out it .

Oh yeah the handle has broken off so i got some 25mm ID bar and redrilled and rebraced it to the body since they a but week in that area.

Im looking forward to a lighter body mower in the near future because pushing the 196 compared to 195 is work and after 8 hours it all adds up.

You know when the most damage is done to mowers or equipment in general?

When you have some extra workers helping out and they just have no bloody idea.. it makes my heart bleed when i hear /see the mower being used badly .

Yes im a sad puppy LOL

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast