Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Honda HRU216 modifications - What's yours?

Default Re: Honda HRU216 modifications - What's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Jippo
    Neither of the machines ive changed oil .... I reckon the 195 has gone thru at a average 40 lawns per week by 7 years i got my good run out it .
    Never changed the oil in 7 yrs WHOA

Murray

Jesus! The oil must be like black sewing machine oil by now!

Can I ask? Why you haven't changed the oil? I mean 6 bucks and 10 minutes is cheap insurance.

I do mine monthly during maintenance time.

why change it ? it doesnt leak and doesnt smoke /shurg if its working well not going to touch it... it might sound wrong but it starts first go and hasnt failed on me yet

Murray

... and hasnt failed on me yet
    Dare I say, "Famous last words".

Remind me not to buy any secondhand equipment from you, or cars, or motorbikes, or ...!

each to there own i guess

each to there own i guess

Jeez Jippo can't believe you have gotten away with it for that long. Do you clean your air filter at all?
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Air filter min at least once a week with bearing grease around edges ... restrictor in exhaust is taken out and blades roughly once a fortnight replaced you really can see a different quality of cut with crap blades and it loads the mower.

Thats really it .. even my Shiwdawa t270 i havent done anything for 7 yrs besides change the plug in it and it keeps going .

The only thing that is starting to worry me slowly is the " brand new" trailer 7 yrs ago is a bit old so im starting to look at new ones yeah i can fix this one new floor etc , but really want one of those hydraulic lifted ones unloading at the tip 2-3 times a week is killing me lose so much time .

ANyone got any contacts for good trailer mobs? My one was originally brought when i brought the jims franchise as part of the deal etc ....

Location Jippo?
    Cheers Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray
    Jesus! The oil must be like black sewing machine oil by now!

Can I ask? Why you haven't changed the oil? I mean 6 bucks and 10 minutes is cheap insurance.

I do mine monthly during maintenance time.
    Interesting senario, 6 bucks +10mins=$16bucks x 12months=$192 x7=new mower .
    I change my oil reguarly too coz there is no gaurantee, but if there was .
    Cheers Dean.

g'day Jippo is there a reason to why you don't change the oil ? did you just forget to do it 7 years ago and thought I will see how long this last lol.

It just seems strange that you maintain everything except the oil as you said each to their own but whats your reasoning lol

well jippo mate i think u need to evaluate your self because anyone thats treats their machine like that should be routed.... most people on this forum are proffesionals and i mean pros they display that , not changing the oil me thinks u may not telling the truth or at least not showing u are a professional

oh by changing oil means your a professional?

Im not into trying to explain.. just saying how good the honda mowers have been to me with lack of maintenace.

After 7 years i dont count myself a professional im happy with my 100+ regular clients to do my talking for me they dont care if i dont change oil as long as there gardens are nice and tidy , dont on time every time.

FOUND THIS ON THE OLD COMPUTER TODAY. - ORIGINAL LETTER TO HONDA REGARDING 216D
    THEY DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER WITH A REPLY, SO I SENT ANOTHER A FEW MONTHS LATER AND PHONED THEM - DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT.

Attn General Manager,
    Quality Control Manager,
    Spare parts Manager
    Research and Development Manager

Sir / Madam,
    My name is .................
    I am a lawn contractor who has run a successful business for the last eight years.
    Recently I decided to change from Rover self drives to your Honda HRU216D self drive mowers due to durability and design issues with the Rover units.
    The Rover is poorly built. Front axle welds fail around 4 months, clutch cables are undersize and break every 3 months, the entire driveline requires complete rebuild at 6 months. Handles fatigue and break at 6 - 8 months and after a full rebuild at 12 months the entire unit is ready for scrap at 18 months.
    My aim in changing to Honda was to reduce the amount of modifications and repairs required for a competitive business.
    Thus far the result has been disappointing.

PROBLEMS
    1 My supplier had very little information on what was available from Honda. Specifications were non existent, even the power and displacement of the motor was a guess. Ground speed ? - yeah, ahh - next question.
    2 Two mulch and catch self drives were ordered in July 03, delivery occurred late December 03. Five Months after ordered. Five months of keeping 3 dying Rovers going “just a bit longer”.
    3 First lawn the left rear wheel fell off.- action - Find the drive pin in the grass (read needle in a haystack) and bolt wheel back on, this time properly and with loctite.
    4 By the end of the First day the upper and lower handles had fallen off , the air cleaner clogged, and the throttle & gear lever bumped by branches countless times - action - Modification time - Modifications 1,2&3
    5 When the mowers were picked up an order was placed for spare blades same day. 2 weeks later blades had lost “lift”, 3 weeks later still no blades available. Action - contact up to 20 customers per day for 3 days telling them I could not cut their lawn because Honda could not supply blades for their new mowers, numerous phone calls up and down coast looking for blades, numerous phone calls to Honda in Melbourne , Cliffe Dawson confirms problem but to date no blades are available- Modification time - Modification 4 . Cliffe Dawson calls to inform blades will be sent no charge as gesture of goodwill.
    2 days later,1 x Genuine blade kit arrives (I have 2 Mowers) with enough packaging for an entire mower special post from Melbourne . 2nd set of blades sourced from Hi qual Mowers Bulli.

MODIFICATIONS
    1 Upper & lower handles - Star nuts were being bumped by bushes / obstacles -action - reverse to place star nuts inside handles , and replace lower star with nylock nut. Starter cord snagging on bushes / obstacles -action- shorten cord and allow cord handle to rest against engine cowl with cord fully rewound.
    2 Air cleaner clogged - action - order after market snorkel kit. Really guys come-on snorkels should be standard equipment on a top of the line mower ! Even Rover has them standard.
    3 Throttle and gear levers being bumped - action- fabricate lever guard to fend branches etc.- About $1 worth of steel rod tack welded to a couple of washers & fitted to existing mount points.
    4 Blades - action - find suitable non genuine blades. A little raking around the mower shop found cox blades with same offset and length. A little hammer work adjusted the lift to same as Honda. Enquiries to A.S.P. Queensland sourced same blades without need to alter lift. Attach to Honda disc with D section bolt.
    Not only are these blades 50% thicker than genuine for longer wear, they also cut flatter for a better finish and are less than $20 per set of 4 including bolt kits. By staggering replacement they become low lift blades when worn, so effectively you only replace 2 x blades at a time instead of 4. A.S.P. are now supplying the guys you can’t supply and making you look foolish in the process, and I dare say they won’t go back to Honda blades again. Why buy a set of Blades that are thinner , more expensive and 2 x are already half worn out ?

ANTICIPATED PROBLEMS
    Rapid wear of rear wheels, damage / fatigue of light gauge metal drivetrain shrouds, longevity of plastic mulch deflectors.

PLANNED MODIFICATIONS
    1 Alter rear axle cut height to approx. 5-7mm above front axle cut height (standard setting would be more than 2-3 x this) to reduce “crescent cuts” in lawns
    2 Snorkel Kit
    3 Adjustable (active or inactive) all steel mulch deflector and steel skin on mulch plug

MAJOR SHORTCOMINGS
    Horsepower -insufficient for contract work- should be at least 230cc 6.5hp
    Ground speed -insufficient for contract work- desirable would be 1st @ 1m/s,
    2nd @ 1.4m/s, 3rd @ 1.75m/s

FINAL COMMENTS
    The Rovers have served me well for the past 8 years. With sufficient modification they have a ground speed around 30% faster than 3rd gear on the new Hondas , and the 200cc Briggs Motor can be encouraged to an output of around 6.5hp with some modifications to engine porting and compression ratio. With modification to the cutting geometry “chunking” of turf is eliminated and what many of my customers refer to as a “polished” lawn is the end result.
    Many of the inherent problems with Rover self drives could have been easily fixed at the factory, minor low cost adjustments to assembly jigs or substitutions for marginally higher quality components.
    I have been involved in many different fields since beginning my working life nearly 30 years ago. Motor trades from lawnmower workshops outback Road houses, I have also done well in corporate business and manufacturing. Feedback from the “bloke in the field” is precious, it is a major tool in making your business successful. Rover Australia met my feedback with indifference, I hope you do not suffer from the same indifference that has caused myself and possibly many others to change suppliers.

Sincerely

"Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

oh by changing oil means your a professional?

Im not into trying to explain.. just saying how good the honda mowers have been to me with lack of maintenace.

After 7 years i dont count myself a professional im happy with my 100+ regular clients to do my talking for me they dont care if i dont change oil as long as there gardens are nice and tidy , dont on time every time.
    Hi Jippo

As you say each to their own. Me personally I like to look after my equipment. If you don't then that's your choice. As you say up to you. I am paranoid about maintaining my gear. After all it is my business. No mower=no money. My motto is maintain your gear to maintain your business

Mate I have to say this....if you treat your gear like you say you do then you are not a professional..simple as that
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Sorry about this Jippo, I thought we had all agreed to respect each other and try and learn from each other.

This guy has said he has 100+ customers ( a lot more than me and I change my oil) and has been going 7 years, that's a lot of experience.

He doesn't change his oil. That's not something I would do and I'm sure that's something a lot of us would not do.

And fine, say that is not what you would do, even question why he chooses to do this but to question the professional conduct of one of us... wtf??

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast