Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alloy fixed line head or Bump type?

Alex Callaghan

Default Alloy fixed line head or Bump type?

Whats everyone using and why do you use it over others?

I use an Alloy Semi- Fixed line head. I use It cause I can get in nice and close and the alloy stays alot cooler than plastic and I reckon that helps with trimmer line longivity. Also like them cause there built like a brick crapper.

Rod

I recently bought a Stihl FS 85.

It has an auto feed. No bumping required had since feb it feeds itself automatically.

I was bit cautious but it works a treat.

Alex Callaghan

How dose it feed itself?

mojo111

I've cot a kawa 27a with bump head 1 or 2 taps works great.
    allso during sumer I keep trim line in eske full of ice water helps to keep it flexi, ends don't split

phil QLD.

Alex Callaghan

Mojo I know about the water trick. Gives the line alot more ductibility. Never used ice though. Might try it one day if I can be bothered.

mojo111

THE ice water is for the drinks more but i just chuk the line 2 birds with 1 stone ya know

Rod

Alex,

Stihl FS 85R it uses a Supercut 20-2 head.

The line size is 2.4 I think it relies on some centrifical force to extend it as required. I would be lucky to load it once a day.

I searched all the Stihl sites but not explanation of how it works. The closest I got was a thread on Lawnsite.com with no apparent explanation.

Rod

And heres a picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pain in the Grass

Hi Admiral. I agree. I was using a Honda 4 stroke with alloy head. Bought a Stihl FS85 like you with the auto feed head and now would never go back to alloy head....Just load once or twice a day depending on amount of jobs and it works a treat. Never hada foul up like the bump feed heads....

Tonyr

I have a Honda trimmer too, is there an auto feed head that fits these?

Currently use Honda's plastic bump feed, almost stuffed, would prefer either a alloy bump feed if there is one or auto feed, I have been told though that only the honda bump or manual feed will fit on though, the manual feed btw is crap.

Easycareacres

There are two types of alloy heads. Single strand of cord and the 3-4 mtres load on alloy head. We prefer the 3-4 metre load on alloy head as gives lower cut more acurate slithering on ground.
    Very easy to lenthen cord and lasts.

Pain in the Grass

Hi Tony

Apparently the newer (and dearer) Honda trimmers have an auto feed head...they may even retro fit the earlier models..Check their website www.honda.com.au

Tonyr

Thanks mate,

I couldn't find accessories/ parts on the Hoinda site, I'll go see a dealer and see what they can do.

Good website with pricing though, top of the line mower sure ain't cheap!

I like their blowers too, saw one in a shop, look bulky, haven't compared power or volumn to the new 4 mixes yet though...be interesting...

the hedge trimmer....you would want to be a big strong bloke, they are huge!

gotta love honda engines though!

pbm

I use the alloy head type that takes 1 piece of line at a time. It probably uses a bit more line as when it wears down you whip it out and thow it away but I wouldn't use anything else.

Easycareacres

this is the type we prefer, load on 3-4 metres and just go all day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast