Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things not so good at the moment

Default Things not so good at the moment

Hi all,

After some advice.
    I have been taking things slow with getting my business going I really just wanted to start slowly and build a good business for myself to go to when I finished with my current employment that I have had enough of.
    Well about a month ago I decided that there was going to be no slow rout for me anymore I was going to make this happen or it would be the end of me so I started to finish work and head out and deliver pamphlets or flyers well I think I have done almost 800 now and I have not received one phone call. I am offering the 4th mow free and also offering a free weed spray just to try and spark some interest well still nothing what the hell am I doing wrong it is not really getting to me as I have not advertised in the local paper as of yet but I thought after that much work I would get something I guess it is the way that it goes.
    What else can I do to try and spark some business?
    Have I got my priorities wrong and should I be doing things different such as.
    Doing the local paper first.
    Then the flyer drop.
    Please guys help me out I really want this to work and I am willing to try anything and everything just to get the business except for charge 10 dollars a lawn.

Positive note I am staying positive and believe that it is going to happen I am not giving up.

Default Re: Things not so good at the moment

That is a bit strange especially this time of year but not unusual I have heard of people putting 2000 out with out a single call, My dad use to have a fleet of postie bikes and put out leaflets, pizza chains would put out 25,000 leaflets and would be happy with a 1 - 2% respond rate.

can I ask what suburbs you are targeting and could you put a copy of the leaflet up for us to look at it constructively with fresh eyes.

I think leaflets can be a bit hit and miss I have had great success with leaflets others think there a waste of time.

If you are ready to go full time I would put a add in the local paper and get a website and advertise it that should generate calls this time of year.

Keep your chin up and good luck with it

Strange that. I get well over 60% of my business from the flyer, and only had 2 calls when I advertised in the local paper for 8 weeks. Still get new clients from the one I put out about 6 months ago.
    Also don't forget free ad in Yellow pages, any local newsletters

Hi Time for a change

I found paphlets alone a waste of time as they get thrown away as junck mail, paper adds get some results, not enough to justify the cost however, phone book a complete waste of money. Have you got signage on vehicle or trailer? if not get it, as people see your number at traffic lights etc. If you are a paid member of Indy you could try the $4 add shown in the manual that did generate some enquiries ( some actually thinking you would mow for $4 mostly housing comm places )

go to this thread on
    " Lawnmowing Marketing what works and what doesn't"
    by gjs
    That is the only thing I found actually works as it is kept and not thrown away.
    What part of Oz are in? see if I can pass something onto you.You have made the big move hate to see you go down. Once you get going it will snow ball so hang in, it will be worth it.

gjs

Try the local paper i think,,only tried flyers once,,put out 1000 and no jobs out of it,,,the phone does not stop ringing from the paper add.

Remember bigger is better,pay the extra $20-30 a week for the larger size adds,,i tried small ones when i started out and got a bit off work but i noticed a huge leap in calls by going bigger in add size.

You've been doing the flyer drop thing, but try knocking on the doors and introducing yourself - offer a free quote on the spot! Search out yards that need a mow - their 'current' lawnie may be gotten overwhelmed with work.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I had another thought while you are building your business and waiting for things to take off you could mow parents, friends, relatives lawns preferably on Saturdays when people are home,

you will get some good practice and with good trailer signage and a spiffy uniform hopefully a few of their neighbors will approach you to mow their lawns. I regularly have people approach me while i am working especially on Saturdays.

I put out about 100 small cards that I made myself on the computer bout 8 per a4 page and got 9 calls the next week and still get the odd one from them a couple months later

Another option mate could be to get a heap of beer coasters made up and see if the local RSL, sports club, leagues club, coffee shops etc will use them. Somewhere all the single ladies, busy parents and best of all the oldies hang out.
    Cheers, Jason.

If your lawns and garden's have lost their Mojo...
    Call Mowjo Man

Hi all thanks for the replies.
    Well seems that there are so many ways to advertise I have really been limiting myself to only flyers. I am going to try the local paper this week and see how that goes I think the coaster idea is a great way to go.
    Well time for me to get out there and get more flyers out I am not giving up at all I have taken long service leave from my full time job to work on advertising and so on my goal is to not have to go back.

Keep you all informed what is has worked for me.

Mate....the best that works for me is my website. Nearly every contact I get from it turns into a job and it works for you 24/7. I have had contacts go in at 2am in the morning and I get 3 to 4 a week sometimes more.

Second I would say local rag. Third advertising on your vehicle and trailer. And just personally I would say forget about flyers. Walked my arse off handing them out not one return. Haven't done yellow pages but judging from the replies won't worry.

My advice get a website and make sure you are optimised for Google searches. That's the real trick for websites. Without being optimised they are useless.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Mate....the best that works for me is my website. Nearly every contact I get from it turns into a job and it works for you 24/7. I have had contacts go in at 2am in the morning and I get 3 to 4 a week sometimes more.

Second I would say local rag. Third advertising on your vehicle and trailer. And just personally I would say forget about flyers. Walked my arse off handing them out not one return. Haven't done yellow pages but judging from the replies won't worry.

My advice get a website and make sure you are optimised for Google searches. That's the real trick for websites. Without being optimised they are useless.
    Had a look at your website it is great. I did not think that you would get that much traffic through a website like that. Could you please advice me who I would have to contact or what I need to do to make something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by time for a change
    Had a look at your website it is great. I did not think that you would get that much traffic through a website like that. Could you please advice me who I would have to contact or what I need to do to make something like that.
    I made my own website about a month ago using www.webcity.com.au .If you can use this forum, you should be able to make the site! You use the $7.95 hosting package which allows you to use the sitebuilder which is very easy to use. All up it cost me $140 with two years domain registration and one years hosting. If you want to have a go at it and need some help, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by time for a change
    TFAC

My website is all my own work. I have a sideline building them. If you are interested just PM me.

FG

Just be careful with the el cheapo hosting. I manage a website for another lawnie and he has a cheap hosting that is giving him grief. You normally find they are cheap because they cut back on other things like support or they have cut admin programs or don't give you enough space.

Originally I went with a cheap one but flicked them for my current one who looks after me really well. The cheapo's are normally some 16 yr old kid who buys a dedicated server and then on sells as much space on the server that he can. You end up with overloaded servers and crappy performance and when it goes belly up no support
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    TFAC

My website is all my own work. I have a sideline building them. If you are interested just PM me.

FG

Just be careful with the el cheapo hosting. I manage a website for another lawnie and he has a cheap hosting that is giving him grief. You normally find they are cheap because they cut back on other things like support or they have cut admin programs or don't give you enough space.

Originally I went with a cheap one but flicked them for my current one who looks after me really well. The cheapo's are normally some 16 yr old kid who buys a dedicated server and then on sells as much space on the server that he can. You end up with overloaded servers and crappy performance and when it goes belly up no support
    Thanks for the tip. So far has been fine, but I'll see how it goes over time. A mate of mine in IT recommended that company.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast