Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: need a decent hedge trimmer???

Default need a decent hedge trimmer???

Evenin' all - not grass related but I've a couple of rather substantial (driveway-lining) privet hedges to trim in the swanky suburb of Mosman, Sydney, for the first time.
    I have an eBay bought Chinese-made petrol hedge trimmer that hacks, rather than cuts, so have been looking at something more serious that'll get the job done and impress fussy customers.
    So, do I need to spend $500-$600 on a Shindaiwa, Makita or similarly decent petrol hedge trimmer, or is there a more affordable option - electric, for example?
    Any advice would be really appreciated,
    Cheers, Nosepeg...

Default Re: need a decent hedge trimmer???

I bought a Homelite from Bunnings as I don't do many, Paid $180 and it is nice and lightweight and has plenty of grunt. Does great for me

If you are doing a reasonable size or number of hedges, petrol is the only way to go, electric is to limiting and generally does not have the same power. For some of mine the power cord would need to be 30 to 40 metres long, and would be a pain.

I use a Honda HHH25D, does a nice cut, has a long cutting blade, and does a good job all round on either fine hedges or the heavier cypress hedges as well. It is a little expensive ($800 if I remember right), but this is outweighed by the quicker time to cut big hedges. The other problem, it is heavy, and after a couple of hours of hedge trimming, your arms definitely know about it. One job is 8 hours, and the 2 of us take it in turns, due to the weight.

Overall I can recommend this machine.

I am using a echo one, was about $400, it cute very well, and strong enough for the thicker branches too.

My next one will be a Stihl though without the guard bit over the blades.

Buy the best you cna afford, it is worth it and they start 1st time everytime, and do a better job.

I have used a Homelite hedger- garbage compared to the others. It has a smaller gap between the blades which means you cant cut anything biggish and you have to go over things heaps of times because it pushes the stems/leaves over. I bought a Dolmar(Makita) hedger when i started my business. It was pretty good for the price ($400-$500?) and was very reliable.

I then bought a Huskvarna combi for the pole hedger which was a lemon. I had so much trouble with the engine, it was a terrible machine. I bought an Echo hedger which is very reliable and cuts beautifully, BUT it vibrates much more than the other machines I have used and gives you that tingling sensation in your hands. Apart from that its excellent.

I bought a Shingu pole hedger to replace the Huski and its been a great machine, especially for the price ($820) Its the easiest machine I have ever had to start and cuts very well. Only has a small tank though and wont run with less than a third of a tank when on its side.

If you can afford it, go for something like the Shingu pole hedger. I actually use it as much as I can instead of the smaller machines because it is much easier on my back. I only use the small machines on things less than knee height. If you only want a smaller machine on a low budget, go for something like the Dolmar/Makita.

I recomed Tanaka I can hedge all day with that very light and its good for topiary because of the weight and the ajustable handle and only $520 worth every cent.

we use shindawa c4 machines for hedgeing and a articulated hedger with a c4 power unit.this combination allows one to cut low to tall and all shapes and sizes.no compliants on the cut quality,only beware of the c4 engines,they are service intensive and do not preform in cold damp air.with the hedger look at the exhaust outlet and try get one with a defelector that sends the exhaust fumes away from the plants you are trimming,your hands and the petrol tank.our c4 hedger exhaust deflector sends hot air straight down onto the plant,the latest model deflects the exhausts sideways.tender plants like diomas can get burn marks from exhausts.
    geejay

Hi Nosepeg?

I use Sthil currently and previously a Tanaka both are exceptional machines and get a flogging, all types of hedge work and the finish is impressive...its not the operator!

As you have been advised on this thread already dig deep in your shallow pockets you wont regret it!
    To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

HI Nosepeg
    I have a still HS80 not bad,But the start of last year picked up a SHINGU its got a 23cc Kawasaki motor on it works bloody great

I just recently bought a Shindaiwa DH230. Am very happy with it. My old one is a Jonserd (made by Husky I think). The Shindaiwa is head and shoulders above my old one.
    Cheers, Jason.

If your lawns and garden's have lost their Mojo...
    Call Mowjo Man

tanaka, shindawa,kawasaki....stick with the Jap made stuff and you can't go wrong.

Very Helpful Member

i have the tanaka 2100s[ 26"/1.1hp/5kg] the shindaiwa is listed as [ 24"/1.1hp/5.5kg] i believe there both great machines the shindaiwa has chrome blades which keep there edge longer but are harder to sharpen the tanaka are hardened steel and 2" longer
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I have the smallest tanaka, good n lite does an ok job, great for bigger jobs when you have a lot to do, but I also have a shindaiwa and that has served me well for 6+ years. Better cut, blades etc but I also look after it where the tanaka will get put through the crap jobs.

I have a small echo, I dont get many hedging jobs but the ones I have done the echo has performed admirably. Not too heavy, decent sized blades and a nice price.

i use a shindawa c4 machine with chrome vanadium blades.i do quite a lot of formal topiary work and hedging,shaping ,from the fine leafed diosma shrubs to large confier type hedges.the speed of blade,quailty of cut, and torque produced by the c4,has made the shindawa c4 a good for value buy for my needs ,and more importantly,the clients.

i did have a issue with the exhaust deflector sending bursts of hot exhaust fumes onto and burning fine leafed diomas shrubs.shindawa have a new designed deflector for the c4 that helps elevate this problem.i put a order in for one about two months ago,but have not got the part(shindawa au have to get the part from japan).i had a friend who has a component enginering company make me a copy of the modification,this is working well so far.
    geejay

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast