Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pruning palm fronds.

Default Re: Pruning palm fronds.

Yer, one in the forearm. Did,nt know it was in there until I used the secateurs, tip had brocken off in the muscle. Had to have it surgically removed .
    Popular palm down here in Vic as it can handle the cold, dangerous though. They loose heaps of palms after a big blow, dont stand under these looking 4 shelter.
    Cheers Dean.

Here is the pic of my stabbed finger, Well here it is if it works!

Cheers Rick

Quote Originally Posted by holdenhead View Post
    Here is the pic of my stabbed finger, Well here it is if it works!

Cheers Rick
    Feeling for you mate! been there, done that unfortunately

Up here in Qld they are known as Miniature Date Palms and yes u can prune the hell outa them,cut as close to trunk as possible as they tend to look a bit ugly as the old cut back ones die,up here the paper wasps love to build there nests in the over hanging throngs.I have a property that has 90 of the buggers along there fence line,needless to say my hands have red welts all over them by the time I finished trimming them back

I copped one in the elbow a while back. Offisider had to use a pair of pliers to get it out. It was stuck fast
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

if they are in fact canary is. date palms, then its not actually recommended to prune them for the health of the palm - personally I think they should be illegal

Took out a semi mature CIDP on Wednesday; killed the chainsaw & completely wore me out in doing so. Good news for me is that the said chainsaw is still under warranty & the manufacturer has agreed to give me a brand new saw. I was lucky this time, but no more date palms for me (he said again for about the 3rd time lol!)

Incidentally; while cutting this date palm & cutting the many stubs with the evil bits on them off of it to enable me to pizza cut up the trunk, the chainsaw threw a stub straight back at me with quite some velocity. Luckily for me, no evil bits hit me, but it scared the whatsit out of me. Hit me just below the willy. I would suggest that you put chaps on whenever cutting date palms chaps!

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by kakegc View Post
    Took out a semi mature CIDP on Wednesday; killed the chainsaw & completely wore me out in doing so. Good news for me is that the said chainsaw is still under warranty & the manufacturer has agreed to give me a brand new saw. I was lucky this time, but no more date palms for me (he said again for about the 3rd time lol!)

Incidentally; while cutting this date palm & cutting the many stubs with the evil bits on them off of it to enable me to pizza cut up the trunk, the chainsaw threw a stub straight back at me with quite some velocity. Luckily for me, no evil bits hit me, but it scared the whatsit out of me. Hit me just below the willy. I would suggest that you put chaps on whenever cutting date palms chaps!
    i think i would prefer to just get some chaps to cut it down for me
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

+100000000000000000

just had one of these $%$#$%$$ removed from my finger today. looks like its not uncommon. straight through leather glove, through finger, almost busting through the other side, tried to pull it out but snapped off inside.

Not good Chris! I had that exact same experience a few years ago. Doc said my body would "absorb" the remaining "foreign matter" I'd love to know when that's going to occur, it swelled up like a pimple 5-6 weeks later & a large piece popped out. But there's still a bit in there, I can still feel the thing.

I wish I found this thread before I quoted on today's job. Had to remove 4 of these big prickly buggers.

By lunchtime I tried not to think about how pathetic my hourly rate was.

And took my first load to the dump and discovered the price had risen from $4/ute load to $24.

So at the end of the day:
    I got 3 down to ground level and one to a 600mm stump.
    2 swollen & half locked up fingers
    About a hundred stab wounds in the forearms
    2 chainsaws with rewted chains
    Very few $$ in my pocket.

The young lady I did it for is a cancer patient so I didn't feel too bad about it, and she was very grateful to have them gone.

No more prickly palms for me though

I got a date palm in my knee years ago it festered up and 1 week later was like a big boil I squezed it and the needle bit shot out. Felt good once it came out.. God must have been in a bad mood when he made them things..

Onwards and upwards edbeek.
    Tomorrows a brand new day.

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO View Post
    Onwards and upwards edbeek.
    Tomorrows a brand new day.
    Well it's tomorrow, but I don't feel brand new.
    Luckily it's raining and I've only got a few quotes to do this morning.

All good experience.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast