Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onion weed

Robbyn M

Default Onion weed

Is there anyway to kill onion weed?

( Extract from Ask Mark )

Mark Paisley

Dear Robbyn,

Onion weed is virtually indestructable. When somebody finally comes up with an effective chemical they will make millions!

The only way I control it or TRY to control it is by repeated applications of roundup mixed with a wetting agent. This will not eradicate it. Digging it out only seems to spread the bulbs.

Best of luck!

Mark Paisley

skyliner31ette

there is 1 way to get rid of it. I removed about 6 tonnes of dirt to get rid of mine Lucky i had a dingo. Wouldnt have been to fun by hand.

Alex Callaghan

Try "Tordon 75-D" or "2,4-D (make sure it has an Ester type active ingrediant)" if it's in a lawn, try hand painting machine oil onto the whole leaf area of the Onion weed when it's in the "rosette" growth stage. It's a timely and pain staking exercise and will take more than one app but I have heard from a few people that have had great succes in perminatly riding a lawn of onion weed with this method.

There are no "Selective Herbicides" for Onion weed. So carfull trial and error is the way depending on the crop sittuation.
    IE.I've succesfully permenantly rid un-planted garden beds of onion weed prior to plant out with "Tordon 75-D" using two apps in two week intervils but with Other situations with plants and turf grass present you'll have to carfull.

patch

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyn M
    Is there anyway to kill onion weed?

I use round-up in a sprayer and put a teaspoon of morning fresh dishwash deturgent in a 5liter spayer

Pres Lawn

2,4-D but be warned it will take a while and will make the soil sterile. I would try and dig it up and I mean really dig down to get the bulb !!!!!

Hondy

There is a product called Sempra wich controls nutgrass and mullimbimby couch in turf and crop situations.

Tony

Default Re: Onion weed

Use roundup in a cup and paint it on with a cloth or brush. I have alot in my garden mixed in the mondo grass. Havent done the job yet but its going to be a pain.

ONION WEED SOME CALL IT GUILDFORD GRAAS

Spray onion weed guilford grass!
    Yes i think Globe will GET rich from this one! Not sure on grass varietys you can use it on

Due to be realeased next couple of weeks called Destiny

250gr granuales cost $480.00 plus gst

applied @ 100gr Hec so I guess I'll be mowing and slashing it awhile yet, a bit like when glean was first released

Contact Globe Aus on 1800 244 300

THIS INFO IS FROM A THREAD TITLED
    Mix bindi spray with kamba ?? MORE INFO THERE FOR YOU
    Attached Images Attached Images

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

ONION WEED PLANT (Asphodelus fistulosus) (Nox)

Semi-arid to subhumid warm-temperate regions, principally on sandy or gravelly alkaline soils of low fertility in areas with an annual rainfall of 250 to 500 mm (Parsons and Cuthbertson 1992). It is a weed of roadsides, disturbed areas and overgrazed pastures but does not dominate in well maintained pastures (Parsons and Cuthbertson 1992). Onion weed invades dry coastal vegetation, mallee shrubland, lowland grassland and grassy woodland and rock outcrop vegetation
    Attached Images Attached Images

TASMANIA TREATS THIS ONION WEED AS A THREAT TO THERE ISLAND

. Importation of declared weed:
    (1) A person must not import or allow to be imported into Tasmania any onion weed.

It is an offence against section 57(1) of the Act to fail to comply with this prohibition. A person found committing that offence may incur an infringement fine of 4 penalty units. A person convicted in court of that offence may be liable to a fine not exceeding 50 penalty units.

The Secretary may exempt a person from this prohibition under section 60 of the Act.

To avoid committing this offence, actions including but not limited to the following should be undertaken:

* Persons travelling to Tasmania, in particular from areas infested with onion weed, such as parts of Victoria, should conduct thorough searches for the presence of the plant and apply appropriate hygiene measures, such as clothing, vehicle, machinery and baggage inspection and cleaning. Questions or concerns about weed hygiene issues should be directed to Quarantine Tasmania personnel before or directly upon disembarkation in Tasmania.
    * Persons importing items to Tasmania that may contain onion weed should have these checked for the presence of the plant. This can be arranged through Quarantine Tasmania.

Junior Member waterfront landscapes's Avatar

Hi guys
    what we use for onion weed in lawns. Is bin-die. We mange to kill a small area of onion weed in a lawn.

hope dis helps any one.

Landscape Level 3 4th yr apprentice

Straight Roundup, Zero or any Glyphosate, don't water it down. First year it kills 90%, takes about 3 years of repeated application

Very Helpful Member

persistence is the key to getting rid of it you spray the weed that is growing now then you have to keep spraying the regrowth but in the end you can win

Quote Originally Posted by waterfront landscapes
    Hi guys
    what we use for onion weed in lawns. Is bin-die. We mange to kill a small area of onion weed in a lawn.

hope dis helps any one.

Landscape Level 3 4th yr apprentice
    Bin-Die is good stuff alright, but don't use it on Buffalo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast