Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s the best way to sharpen a chainsaw?

Barry

Question What’s the best way to sharpen a chainsaw?

Well new here but let’s give this sucker ago.

How does ever one sharpen there chain saw, does anyone use one of the electric types or do you think stick with the old file and guide.

mick

This is a good question! I usually take it in to get sharpened but if theres an easy, accurate way of doing it myself, I'll do it! I've tried but for some damn reason, just cant get it right!

Barry

Well I don't seem to have a problem getting it right with a file, but found it easier with the chain off, I have a simple wood clamp the chain fits in and clamp it in a vice so I can do about 10 teeth at a time, but can be a bit time consuming.

But all the dealers sell the little elec grinders for sharpening. But can't seem to make my mind up if they would make life easier, or just a gimmick.

Also chain sharpening here is strange, $15 to have it sharpened but can get a new chain for $18.

Rod

I get mine sharpened for $8.00 at the Local Stihl dealer. They also have a box full of sharpened used chains (but never collected) for only $10.00. I now have over 20 chains.

I tried all methods of sharpening to clip on frames to car grinder powered. Get it wrong and the bar starts to turn on you.

Get em done properly and it saves you time on a job.

Hondy

I use the electric grinder type. Does me ok.

Tony

mick

Quote Originally Posted by Hondy
    I use the electric grinder type. Does me ok.

Tony
    It dosent do mower blades too does it! I wish!

Barry

You can get it done for $8, think it is time I change dealers I'm being ripped off.

Indyanswer

Sharpening a chainsaw is best done the old fashioned way, with a file. You will only need a round file and a flat file. After each time u use it, it will only need about three to five strokes with the round and about 1 to 3 with the flat, depending on the lenth of time u use it.

Lumberjacks, tree climbers, what ever u wanna call em do it, so can u. Needs a bit of practice and frusteration as what happened to u when first tring to get a straight edge with your brush cutter. Now i have seen shops sharpen chains and let me tell u half your life of the chain disappears.

Now don't forget u can buy a safety chain, a semi chisel chain and a full chisel chain. Safety chain is what is normally on it when u buy it, but if u use a semi chisel or full chisel it cuts much easier

Alex Callaghan

Have a look at a Tungsten tip chain.

Ya wont have to worry about sharpening. Mud, snow, rotten hollows................They just keep doing the job.

I've had a Tungsten cabide tip chain on my saw for bout 2 years now and havn't had to touch it. Still cuts well with next to no presure put down.

Bit on the exy side but I reckon it was money well spent.

Shapening a chain well comes with practise and a good eye.

Indyanswer is too right with the shops machine eating the teeth for breaky. The ol round file and a bit of practise is the way to go I reckon.

matder

like every thing comes with practise i use 3/16 file on a3/8 micro chisel chain youve just got to get your angles and gullet right and most fencing contractors and wood cutters use this freehand or ask your local dealer if he could put on a work shop to show you how its to be done properly best of luck matty

pbm

I tried the file but kept mucking it up so I found a guy who does it for $7...he'll do 3 for $15

whitsundaytattoo

I use the electric sharpener and find it great. Yes you can take too much off and shorten the life of the chain but I don't think its going to kill you when a new blade is $18. Just don't grind to much is just like don't file too much. I find it easier to get the edge on the right angle with the electric just have to be carefull when removeing.

dvmcmrhp52

We use electric "dremel's" to sharpen ours.
    It's not perfect but it gets you back moving quicker than taking them to get sharpened.

Default Re: What’s the best way to sharpen a chainsaw?

THE BEST WAY IS YOUR WAY

Chainsaw Sharpener 89.00 deans corner www.indmowing.com.au

' Millers Falls '

Specifications / Features

240 Volt 50 hz Motor
    85 Watt Power Rating
    No-Load Wheel Speed ~ 5300 rpm
    Grinding Wheel ~ 100 mm x 22.3 mm Arbor Size ( 1 wheel supplied with machine )
    Safety Guard
    Chain Sizes ~ 1/4" to 3/8"
    Cutting Angles ~ Zero to 35 degress
    Fully adjustable feed pawl to move chain through the vice link by link
    Depth Stop
    Weight ~ 2.8 kg Approx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by administrator; 23-12-2006 at 06:55 AM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

bigG

Default Re: What’s the best way to sharpen a chainsaw?

i actually use a small grinder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast