Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Workers Comp

mojo111

Default Workers Comp

Had a guy (21 years) 3YEARS AGO. ask me for some part time work. I said have u had any experiance. sure he said. so I said to him ..I'll give u a go for one day? Ok no prob, Gave him a good run down on all aspects of the job, got it. yeh!! if not sure please ask me! I DON'T HAVE WORKERS COMP YET!! Next day turns up in runners. I go. MATE!! wheres ya boots. can't find them (worning bells start ringing) I repeated no compo for u LOL. TWO lawns later hes not emtying the catcher grass trail every where. go through the process again. Got it!! yeah.ok one more lawn down and he's still not emtying the grass. mate!! are ya thick or what .Thats it one more lawn like that your walking home. Ok sorry. Next lawn he comes runnin round the corner crying(aw ****) dumb a$$ stuck his hand in the bloody mower still running. Few scrapes no fingers mising.
    (thank god) take him home he said its not bad but i'll be a bit sore
    for a day or two .OK remember no compo eh. no worries!!
    Four days later his mum rings and said been to workers comp and im in the ****! Ok! long story short. compo pay him and I get a bill four
    $5500. **** spit spew. I fight it. 12 months later they fined him at falt for diliberitly sticking his hand in.I don't have to pay a cent
    struth thank god.

Anyway my point is workers comp is a MUST this is for thoes new guys just starting. its only about $250 a year for one employe
    so don't get caught like I ALLMOST DID

Rod

Interesting experience.

The Following is based on Qld Workers Comp.

Even if you don't have workers comp and "silly" enough to have some one on the books your responsibility does not end there it can get far worse. Even with Workers Comp an injured employee still has the right to sue under "Common Law."

Worker's comp like car insurance covers for damage and rehabilitation in this case your employee. The only significant difference between the two is that Workers comp is compulsory.

There are so many "professional Slippers" and career Workers Comp claimers so be careful.

Lets face it some of the people we are inclined to hire (and there are many fine workers out there to, not forgetting) can sometimes come from the shallow end of the "Gene Pool."

In most states Workers Comp does not cover the Principal Business owner(s.) Be careful with this one if your partner works with you they may not be covered especially if they are a business partner.

My advice if you don't have it take it out is is calculated purely on wages and risk. So if you do not hire or use anybody the cost would be next to nothing. As you can get a refund at the end of the financial year if you paid too much as it is in most cases the renewal is reconciled against the next years policy.

If you employ and don't have cover then you are asking for heaps of trouble it is just not worth the risk.

mojo111

So true Rod. AND OF COURSE I HAVE WORKERS COMP NOW!
    we do learn from our mistakes. I had second thoughts on that fatefull day but rearly needed a hand at the time.Bugger I new he would be trouble! man he was a six pack short of a box
    !@#$%!@ #$%%^&*(!@# curse the day he was born I'm over it NOW LOL

A CUT Above

Default Workers Comp

Anyone know any good brokers in NSW (Sydney) or can advice on one of the big players such as NRMA etc, who offers Workers Comp???

Comments please. Thanks.
    Last edited by A CUT Above; 26-08-2004 at 05:38 PM. Reason: To specify location.