Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sharpening Hedge Trimmer Blades

Default Re: Sharpening Hedge Trimmer Blades

Yes I have used the linisher to do that but only when I have hit hidden star pickets, this has tendency to bend and blunt blades, thats when I pull apart and do with the linisher. Linisher also comes in handy to take lips off you chainsaw bar, light touch up on each side and the bar is a good as new. Most service centres do this when you out you saw into be serviced.

today I notice a hedger blade nut and bolt had worked its way out and got lost. Got some replacements nuts and bolts and replaced all the nylex nuts. Also sharpened hedger with angle grinder as the file method was way too slow, was happy with the sharpening result however still not happy with nut and bolt tightness. i just can not get the knack, it either too tight or I then worry its too loose. I think I'll try the feeler gauge method next.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    You should use a 10thou feeler gauge to setup gap between blades on a hedger. Yes we can all do a "that will do" but if you really want to do it right use the feeler gauges. Fred excepted as he does to many to need them anymore. Yes lubricate all parts not just the blades.
    Imoww never heard of self sharpening hedger blades, post a link please so I can have a look.
    Yes a dremel is the best for sharpening as it does not take as much off as a angle grinder.
    So with a feeler gauge, how much tension is applied to the bolt and how much tension is applied to the nut? Would there need to be some slack on both sides? If the bolt is screwed in too tight wouldn't it still jam the blades even though the gap is correct?

when all else fails read the manual, instructions for this hedger as follows

- release nut
    - tighten screw lightly until resistance is felt. Then back off screw a quarter to half a turn
    - hold screw in place with screwdriver and tighten nut
    - lubricate with a few drops of oil
    - start engine and run for a minute
    - stop engine, touch blades, blades should be warm if blades are too hot to be touched release screws for another quarter to half a turn.

Well nothings wrong with just pulling apart and running a lubed stone along them.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    when all else fails read the manual, instructions for this hedger as follows

- release nut
    - tighten screw lightly until resistance is felt. Then back off screw a quarter to half a turn
    - hold screw in place with screwdriver and tighten nut
    - lubricate with a few drops of oil
    - start engine and run for a minute
    - stop engine, touch blades, blades should be warm if blades are too hot to be touched release screws for another quarter to half a turn.
    Like! I always make sure I can just move the feeler guage comfortable back and forth. This hedge was done straight after . Lucky if it's been done once every 2 two years since they were planted. In my street and now they will get get done twice a year . IMAG0488.jpgIMAG0489.jpg

Some hedge trimmers have cutting edges on the top and bottom blades whereby some only have cutting edges on either the top or the bottom blade.

I have always had hedgers with dual cutting edges. Are the ones with the single cutting edge better suited to anything in particular or is just a way of reducing the cost.

I'm hoping these two diagrams might show the differences between the two. images.jpg61pSDM3Z8bL._SL1500_.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345