Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: How much do you charge?

Rod

Default How much do you charge?

I am curious to see what people charge for a standard block say around (800m2 residential) with a house and a pool.

Jim's are usually the dearest up here and would charge around the $44.00 mark for the above property.

I charge $40.00 or $45.00 if it is a corner block. I would also offer to take away a small amount of rubbish up to .5m2 in that price.
    Of course thats edging, mowing and blowing.

What influences your pricing (apart from the length of the grass?)

Edges?
    Slope?
    Corner block?
    Look like they could afford to be "stung?"
    On account or cash?
    Distance traveled?
    Mulch or catch?
    Frequency ie: once a month when twice would be easier/smarter?
    Pretty girls get a discount?
    A really high price because you don't want the job?
    Number of dog droppings per square meter?
    Number of dogs per square meter?
    Or kids toys strewn everywhere?

What factors come into play when you are determining price?

Pain in the Grass

Hi Rod,

I charge an average of $35.00 to $40.00 per standard block that is not too difficult.....I'm in southern Sydney and the mowing game here is cut throat.....Heaps of guys doing the same sized jobs for $30.00 or less....Hell one guy even advertises that he'll do an average sized block for $25.00....

How can we compete with cowboys like that.....Hate to see the quality of work..

Have been on a steep learning curve with our "curry munching bretheren" he he.......The tight arsed bastards want everything for nothing....I've decided that if I have to quote 'em from now on, I'm gonna jack the price up to say $60.00 for an average block, then offer a 20% discount cos I'm feeling generous to em..he he he

Tonyr

Yeah Rod, $45 sounds about right for what I'd charge, from back when I was using the Walker....

degree of diffulty is the main fine tuner more than actual square metres, it's about time not volumn for me.

I agree dr pain, curry munchers...gota love em. quote high cause they always want to negotiate down, they can be quite bloody rude too. I just love clients telling me my worth, makes me wander why i bother some days. they suck the enthusiasm right outa me.

matthew pitman

my average price per cut works out to be about $66 hour
    so the average block for me is about $33 but thats only if they let me use the walker if they are old school and wont it hand mown its more.
    its hard to quote properly around my area cause there is a few guy that charge dirt cheap

Rod

I usually cost my hourly rate at $75-80 per hour (for two people.)

I agree the biggest "barrier" to an affective hourly rate/job cost is the guy that will under cut you and do the Job for between $25 -$35 when you want $40-$45 or even higher.

Lets face facts. The cheaper guy probably does not have ab ABN, and lives in the "Black Economy" whilst you are playing by the rules.

I remember speaking with a Jim's Guy at the Tip one day and he set me straight. "This is what I charge, if I am too high then just walk away."

As he said, if they want to "*****" about price you probably won't get paid, well in a hurray anyway. Since then I follow his lead. I would not "drop my pants" for less than $35.00 on a small job anyway.

bradtez

For a standard sized block here in Canberra i charge $45-$55, some complain that this maybe a little high, but i assure the client that the job that i do will be well worth it. As you guys put it " the curry munchers" are the only ones who complain.
    Doing the little things like throwing a bit of rubbish in the trailer while you are there will most certainly stick in the customers mind. People LOVE to get something for nothing!!

Brad

Topcat

Melbourne northern burbs- average block about 600sq, mowed for $33.00 bout every 3 weeks takes about 20 minutes.