Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Weed Poison

APS_QLD

Default Weed Poison

Just a quick question i get asked plenty of times to spray the lawn for weeds.

I am of the understanding its better to spray a week after you mow which allows for the weeds to be actively growing resulting in a better kill rate.

Is there a poison which can be used after i mow with good results so i don't have to come back a week later?. This way i can charge to spray and mow with one trip and not two.

Also is there a granulated poison that can be spread, although i do have concerns with this type.

Brian

Alex Callaghan

G'day Brian,

As with any weeds that your spraying. The more foliage surface area that the herbicide can come in contact with and the healtyier the weeds are the better the results.

I'm pretty dam sure that there isn't a suitable product for using stright arfter mowing as all herbicides work on the same basic pricible as I mentioned above.

As far as a granular form a Pre-M is probably the closest thing you'll find to granular herbicide suited for use on a lawn. Basically it's just granular fert mixed with granular herbicide.
    The weed killing part will target weed seed before it gets the chance to germinate but not the weeds you can see.
    I use a Pre-M from lessco with either "Rout" or "Ron-Star" mixed through (can't remeber witch one?) with the fert and have had good results.
    But even with a Pre-M you'r not going to get away with an application straight arfter mowing.

Why not just make 2 trips and charge acordingly?
    More of your time and more expensis just go on the bill!!!

APS_QLD

Well thats how i have been doing it two trips was just trying to do it in one if possible.

Currently i use Kamba with degergent depending on the lawn which so far has given great results.

Do i need a licence for spraying this stuff ?????

Brian

Alex Callaghan

Kamba-M's active ingredient is Dikamba.

So in NSW ya don't but i dunno in QLD. I would imagine ya don't Brian but I'd check.

I use Kamba-M too mate. Very good stuff!
    I only use the Pre-M in the lead up to winter.
    I'll use a spray on Herbicide if weeds are in the lawn about 2-months before winter and then about a month before the cold comes I'll Pre-M so any winter weed seed dosn't come up in the cold and this way I don't have to do any sparying when the grass is dormant.

Nifty

Hi Brian

I to use Kamba-M & have found it to be good stuff.

Can I ask why you mix it with detergent & on what type of lawns you use that mixture on?

Thanks

Nifty

Alex Callaghan

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty
    Hi Brian

I to use Kamba-M & have found it to be good stuff.

Can I ask why you mix it with detergent & on what type of lawns you use that mixture on?

Thanks

Nifty

Nifty,

Brian would be mixing Kamba-M with detergent because the detergent acts as a "wetting adgent".
    Wetting adgent just helps the mix adhear to the plant/grass's leaf surface when spraying. So it decrases run off considerably.
    You can buy proper wetting adgents to mix with herbicides but detergent is a cheap alternative thats just as effective.

Cheers.

APS_QLD

Niffty,

What Alex said You don't need a lot in the mix i use about a cap full in a mix or a quick squirt . As i use an Aussieboy spray and that holds about 9 litres does the trick. I also add a bit of line dye in blue so i can see where i have sprayed.

And yes it is a damn side cheaper. I get the bushmans wish is about $2.00 a 2 litre bottle. I hope to be getting it in bulk soon what the hell we use it to do the dishers.

Brian

Nifty

Thumbs up

Hi Brian & Alex.

Thanks for your help with that. I have only just started out in this industry & appreciate your advice.

Nifty

APS_QLD

Just watch out when using the dye YOU DON"T NEED A LOT just enough iso you can see it on the lawn (without turning thier lawn BLUE and don't spray concrete or pavers etc as it does DYE it, it does wash out but takes awhile.

When you put the dye in do it on the lawn

Good luck

Brian

APS_QLD

Niffy,

Where abouts are you and welcome to the site.

Brian

Nifty

Thanks for the Dye tip Brian. Wouldn't want to upset the locals with lovely blue lawns!

I'm in Dubbo, Western NSW.

I've found the site great for little tips like this one. Anything to make the job easier.

Nifty

APS_QLD

At the moment i could use Green dye and make a fortune one quick spray and instant green lawn

Yeah the site is good and you only need to ask and some one will help out.

Brian

pop

Default Re: Weed Poison

Quote Originally Posted by APS_QLD
    Niffty,

What Alex said You don't need a lot in the mix i use about a cap full in a mix or a quick squirt . As i use an Aussieboy spray and that holds about 9 litres does the trick. I also add a bit of line dye in blue so i can see where i have sprayed.

And yes it is a damn side cheaper. I get the bushmans wish is about $2.00 a 2 litre bottle. I hope to be getting it in bulk soon what the hell we use it to do the dishers.

Brian
    What is line dye and where do you get it? I have purchased red Herbicide dye from the Nursery. It cost $16 for 250 ml and was not very effective. Also I have just sprayed lawn weeds with Kamba M. How long will it take to kill them. Does it take a week like Roundup. I am keen to see what weeds it will kill because we are letting a block turn to lawn without turf or seeding.